Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meal Suggestions, LOTS OF RESTRICTIONS

So we go to the lake every year and each family has to cook a meal.  Usually between 25 and 30 people.  Struggling what to cook.  Restrictions I have (dairy free, gluten free and we have 4 vegans).  If anyone has a single dish solution let me know.  Recipe if possible.  Also not everyone is a seafood eater.

I would like to do just a large salad, but looking for some wow factor.

Thanks,
James

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    If you have been down this road on previous trips, I would look at what met all the criteria that would lend itself to an easy cook as it has been at least a year since the last gathering.  If you have BGE access, you could go with pizzas...
    That's all I've got...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    edited August 2016
    Stuffed portabellos!!  with....twice baked potatoes !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    You could make a tofu-based pad thai, with chicken and shrimp on the side for those that want to mix it in.  You could even do "build your own" with multiple kinds of noodles (including GF), tofu, chicken shrimp, base sauce (tamarind), peanuts, green onions, sprouts, etc.
    NOLA
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    edited August 2016
    I made a black bean salad yesterday that was good, but even better today for lunch after having been refrigerated overnight.
    Black beans-drained, whole kernel corn-drained, a medium onion-diced, medium bell pepper-diced, two fresh tomatoes-diced and drained, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and a packet of Splenda. 

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,011
    edited August 2016
    Some form of spicy black bean soup? Could be done on an egg in a casserole dish or dutch oven I guess. You could serve with popadoms as a side for people who could eat them.

For a snack, Vietnamese vegetarian spring rolls, as the wrapped is made from rice paper I think that would meat the gluten free requirements.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    thanks for the suggestions so far
    Anyone do eggplant parm?  If so any recipes for sauce side of it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    veggatarian stuffed cabbage stuffed with zukes,squash and rice. stirfrys over white rice.  zuchinni and squash casseroles, some with cheese and some without. or just do kabobs, meat ones, meat and veggies, veggies only, this one would be easy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    You could go with a huge salad and offer different toppings. Steak, salmon, chicken for carnivores. Crouton separate for the gluten free crowd. And this for the vegan crowd. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/218450/cilantro-lime-grilled-tofu/
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I like @Fred19Flintstone's idea -- lots of options for wraps -- cheese, beans, ground meat, grilled meat, grilled veggies, a few different sauces.  Sounds great!

Personally, I trying to come up with one vegan, gluten-free, dairy free dish will disappoint the meat-eating majority.  Maybe a nice bean salad, or a regular salad that either had beans in it, or people make their own and there's a nice bowl of red or black beans, or garbanzos, that they can add to their salads, AND some kind of easy dish with meat for the meat eaters.  I've never tried to cook for 25-30 people, so I don't know.  But for the meat part, maybe a huge pot of chili (or even a meat chili and a vegan chili, which can be delicious), or burgers and hot dogs.
  • The last time I was faced with this situation, I did a taco bar.  I grilled flank steak as well as zucchini, summer squash, red onion, and corn.  I gave my guests the option between corn tortillas and bibb lettuce (make sure the corn tortillas are pure corn... there are a few out there that are not GF).  
    I also made black beans and rice and I found that many people made a taco bowl instead of using the tortillas/lettuce.  

Good luck! :smile:
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    fruitguy said:
    and we have 4 vegans

Thanks,
    James

theres 30 people to feed so focus the meal around the 4 unhappy people with no diet restrictions =) when its the vegans turn to cook i hope they just cook meat =)  you could just make a salad and give every meat eater a tin foil ball to throw at the vegans ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I know this doesn't help much, but I'm with @fishlessman. I hope the vegans are considerate enough to think about your dietary desires when they are planning meals.

The salad idea sounds nice and easy. For soup options - gazpacho (great for summer), and a spicy (think Indian) cauliflower soup without dairy.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Fix what you like. Can't please everybody so don't try.  
  • This was a post I ran acorss the other day that could easily become vegan and possibly dairy free with that weird vegan cheese. For my weird, picky eater SIL we just get a house salad and enjoy our meal. She usually brings something for herself as well. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1197808/eggplant-lasagna
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    fruitguy said:
    and we have 4 vegans

Thanks,
    James

theres 30 people to feed so focus the meal around the 4 unhappy people with no diet restrictions =) when its the vegans turn to cook i hope they just cook meat =)  you could just make a salad and give every meat eater a tin foil ball to throw at the vegans ;)
    I kind of go the other way with this.  I enjoy the challenge of cooking for picky eaters, as long as I get fair warning on what the restrictions are (and, with the caveat of a personal pet peeve - if you claim to be ALLERGIC, you better have an epipen.  Otherwise, you are just being a PITA).

Salad, to me, is what vegans end up eating in "normal" restaurants.  I'd try to jump it up again with lasagna or grilled veggies or veggies based salads (rather than lettuces).

I do not, however, make the whole meal vegan.  If they can't stand to watch me eat my (humanely raised) pork chop, hasta la bye bye
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • AVEngineer
    AVEngineer Posts: 120
    I have made a Quinoa casserole before with black beans, corn, peppers, and enchilada sauce. It's turned out good but is better if you cook the quinoa in some kind of broth and not just plain water. The cheese could be added to the top when served.    
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    To start with an amusing aside. My son is wed to a fairly strict vegetarian. They live in Portland, OR, where most restaurants are vegan and vegetarian friendly. To keep a balance, my son requires they dine at places that have at least 1 meat option.

Here's my suggestion. Having cooked for smaller numbers of finicky tastes, I went w. quesadillas. Kind of like pizza, just toss onto the tortilla what you want, w. some cheese to bind it all up. Takes just a few min. on the Egg for each persons combo to cook.

But vegans make things more problematic. They won't eat cheese. I won't eat erzatz cheese. Sorry, nutritional yeast sauce is not no way cheese.

Came across something that works in the middle. There's a mid-east blend called Za'atar. Toasted sesame seeds and  various herbs. There is a variant called dukha that adds pounded nuts. Swab a pita w. good olive oil, coat w. the herb mix, and toast. The oil does the binding that cheese would do. For those who want, diced meat like lamb, and cheese can be added.

You do have my sympathy. When I grew up, the rule was "be glad you have anything to eat."  While I still hate eating boiled cabbage, the sentiment remains true.
  • Grill up some corn cobs and add them to guac?  
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    caliking said:
    I know this doesn't help much, but I'm with @fishlessman. I hope the vegans are considerate enough to think about your dietary desires when they are planning meals.

The salad idea sounds nice and easy. For soup options - gazpacho (great for summer), and a spicy (think Indian) cauliflower soup without dairy.
    Really - you'd want vegans who hasn't cooked meat in however many years to cook you a pork chop?  That sounds like a thin bone in cutlet cooked to 175 to me.  I'd rather have a tasty tofu dish.

I think you could use coconut milk as a dairy replacement in soup.  Depending on what kind of salad you're thinking about remember mayo isn't vegan.  Honey isn't either (apologies if you knew this already, but we have 2 vegan families in the neighborhood and every year all pasta and potato salads at the block party are mayo based).

I know it isn't really summery food, but I'd be tempted to just do a big batch of pasta sauce.  Sauté some onion and garlic in olive oil, add a bunch of sliced peppers and mushrooms, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and then maybe like 4 cans of crushed tomatoes and some tomato paste to thicken if needed.  Salt and pepper to taste, checking throughout the process.  Finish with fresh basil and serve over gluten free pasta.  Grated Parmesan at the table for those that want it.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    It's almost impossible to make one dish that meets all of those requirements. I have a great turkey meatloaf that is gluten free and dairy free(and out of this world good) but it wouldn't fly with the vegans. I also know a great black bean and rice soup called Moros y Christos but that by itself wouldn't do for the non vegans. Make 3 or 4 things and just say that it's rude to stare at your neighbors plate.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    caliking said:
    Same here, though I wouldn't be surprised if they served a completely vegan menu just to try to make their point. After all, part of the reason they are vegans is because of how they feel about the treatment of animals, no? So why would they serve you veal - or perhaps worse, foie gras? Besides, I don't want a vegan cooking meat for me anyway.              

Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit.” Bourdain  

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    I love how we cater to vegans. When the shoes on the other foot, we eat vegan. I have no time for this. Made vegan food a few times and the vegans wouldn't eat it because it was cooked on a grill that "Eww, Meat!" was cooked on. I'm a patient, tolerant man, but that shite pushes my buttons. 
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    In a group of 30  people, odds are less than 1 in 4 that even ONE of them is gluten intolerant.  Odds are much greater that it's somebody who enjoys being problematic.  I'd suggest all attendees unwilling to eat "people food" be encouraged to bring something fitting their dietary restrictions.

My son-in-law is a heavy metal fan.  I, however, do nothing to accommodate his musical tastes when I'm driving...
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I am in the "tell them to bring their own food" camp. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• I have a killer asparagus soup recipe thats pretty tasty and you could grill the onion, asparagus, and garlic before you simmer it and blend. Hell I may try that next time. It's on the menu tonight minus the grill tonight.

Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Oddly enough, as much as I love animal flesh, I cook vegan quite a bit.  Thug Kitchen is a great cookbook to start out with.  
    It's entertaining and the recipes are mostly really good.  Here's a good vegan / gluten free recipe when you substitute lettuce as the wraps.
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Since so many people are bringing stuff I would say make whatever you like and then just be sure to label it such that those with certain restrictions will know to avoid it if they choose.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Single serve pizza two types of dough and all the fixings they make their own you cook them. Steaks and chops for the meat eaters know that the Egg is so hot.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • fruitguy said:
    and we have 4 vegans

Thanks,
    James

This. I would do a meal that people can put what they want on their plate. Fajitas give you a lot of flex. Black beans, flank steak, chicken, maybe some shrimp.  All the sides.  Some can skip the tortillas. No need to punish the masses. If they are still hungry tell them to go eat some bushes in the front yard. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN