Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: anybody ever have valve stems go bad? : OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
yesterday I had to have 3 valve stems replaced in my car. They claimed that 3 out of 4 that were installed by them 2 years 4 months ago with a new set of tires purchased for $1,400 have gone bad. That is the first time I have ever heard of a stem going bad. I'd appreciate any feedback based on experience. 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I have had a stem go bad a couple of times in 45 years of driving.  Three in 28 months sounds excessive.  
    New Orleans LA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Yeah. They're either all rubber or metal with rubber orings. They dry rot something fierce. I'd imagine it's worse up there from the seasonal temp swings. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I've had a valve stem break in my hands while filling the tire with air. 

Tire deflated at the air pump.  Fun day.....

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    yesterday I had to have 3 valve stems replaced in my car. They claimed that 3 out of 4 that were installed by them 2 years 4 months ago with a new set of tires purchased for $1,400 have gone bad. That is the first time I have ever heard of a stem going bad. I'd appreciate any feedback based on experience. 
    It absolutely happens all the time. I have worked in the car business my whole life. We replace them for dry rot all the time. The brand new ones in my Trailer smoker tires were dry rotted and leaking within a month of getting my trailer. They probably bought a 1000 box and are getting towards the end. Maybe left out in a dry hot environment.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    RRP said:
    It absolutely happens all the time. I have worked in the car business my whole life. We replace them for dry rot all the time. The brand new ones in my Trailer smoker tires were dry rotted and leaking within a month of getting my trailer. They probably bought a 1000 box and are getting towards the end. Maybe left out in a dry hot environment.
    I won't argue with a car dealer on maintenance issues :)
    New Orleans LA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    I have had a stem go bad a couple of times in 45 years of driving.  Three in 28 months sounds excessive.  
    I wouldn't be surprised if a service place or dealer replaced some without telling you. We keep a big box and do it without charging when we notice it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Not saying that it doesn't happen, but a past car of mine lived in MI, IL, and IA for 10+ years with the original set of tires and did not have this issue. One vehicle is now 8 yrs old (2nd set of tires), another is 12 yrs old (also 2nd set of tires) and have not had this problem. Living in TX now for the past several years. 

Wouldn't you have issues with keeping the tire pressure stable if the valve stems were bad?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    a new set of tires purchased for $1,400 
    Your tires cost more than my vehicle :D

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Most of the time a new valve can be unscrewed and a new one screwed in before all the air comes out of the tire instead of replacing the whole unit.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    Options
    Ron, I think the buffalo has struck you. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yep. The buffalo must hate valve stems as much as he hates male chickens.   

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited July 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
    Ron, I think the buffalo has struck you. 
    hmmm, I wonder why the forum gods even allow an "Off Topic" category if they sink most every one posted there! Apparently some buffalo on duty tonight with a sink button or delete button capability doesn't have a clue what has made the previous BGE forum into the family forum it became. But, hey, buffalo you really ought to get a life to began to understand what "family" means and what "family" can do to weld a forum. I bet even my appeal to you may get deleted...but that is YOUR loss - not mine! Bye bye!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    It's ok Ron, you got your answer on the valve stems.  I'm not sure this thread was really destined to grow legs.

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I found it on the front page. Maybe it got put back? Yes. Valve stems go bad. Were you having problems with those three tires? 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Ah. I see. It just isn't showing new posts. I guess it is the beginning of the end.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    ive maybe had one flat tire in 30 years, but have had slow leaks with aluminum rims constantly with the seal areas corroding, are they on aluminum rims. pretty sure they just change out the stems here when the replace the tires
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    New stems are normal when buying new tires right along with balancing. I've had the core go bad and had a set of tires require air every day due to bad stems. I've replaced them on motorcycles with tubeless tires because they looked bad.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast