Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL table - a labor of love

Options

Comments

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    A beautiful table and exceptional craftsmanship.  Rather depressing for me.  l have yet to build mine and this really highlights my lack of woodworking ability and proper tools.  No, seriously, I really appreciate seeing your project.  I will never be able to duplicate your skill, but seeing this does inspire me to try a little harder.  Many thanks, and hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Don't know how I missed this earlier.  Dang-as has been said, great craftsmanship, documentation and a truly impressive result.  No end to the satisfaction you should feel every time you use your BGE.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Your craftsmanship is incredible, awesome table.  I don't think even with the awesome set of tools you have I could create such a beautiful piece of like that.  Are you taking orders to build tables?  You ought to  think a bout it.  That is built better then most things you can buy from a manufacture.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGrabs33
    Options
    Hi @NC_Egghead beautiful table. Do you happen to have the plans that you made for this? Thanks!
    Raleigh, NC
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @NC_Egghead
    nice table!

What is the dimension from the top of the granite that your egg is sitting on to the top of the granite on top of the table?
     I have a XL egg as well with the little BGE metal legs under my egg.  My biggest fear is not getting the correct height so when I go to open the dome on the egg, The rear hinges hit the table.  But I see you have plenty of clearance.

Also, what size did you cut your hole?
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    I think the joinery is a little slapdash and the overall design does not seem well thought out.

Just kidding of course. That is fabulous.  Almost too good to cook on! Seriously, that should be a display piece it the BGE factory.
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    Agree; whoever resurfaced this thread: thanks!  Work of art and inspiring, except I don't have any of the talents/tools to come even close to replicating.  Great job!
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • jkwonza
    jkwonza Posts: 9
    Options
    Wow, this is an absolute work of art!

Question for you on your Egg support dimensions - what is the distance from the top of your frame to the top of the Egg support stud? Based on your diagram it looks like it's 12.5", right? Assuming your stone is 1" that, taking into account your stone/table nest that makes your A dimension 10.5" ? It looks like you have no issues with hinge hitting the table at that height...

I'm currently in a build for an XL Table & have been reading if you use BGE's recommended A height of 12.5" you run into the hinge hitting the table... Can't seem to find a confirmed A height to avoid this
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    The distance from the top of the shelf the egg sits on to the top of the table is 12". With the leg support under the egg for air gap, you can see the clearance I have for the hinge in one of the pics I posted. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Safe to say, "Not your first woodworking Project?"
    Amazing work. can I place an order...
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    SLAM DUNK!!!!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Jordo33
    Jordo33 Posts: 3
    Options
    This is what I'm going to base my Large table off of. So is the entire project M&T and biscuits, no mechanical fasteners? Love the craftsman ship from one woodworker to another. So the entire project is out of Cypress?
  • CaptainHero
    CaptainHero Posts: 7
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Amazing work !! #skills
    Definitely keeping this in mind for my next table build :)

How are the drawers after a year outside ?
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Showoff  :o

Woodworker here. Nice job. Really nice job!
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    Jordo33 said:
    This is what I'm going to base my Large table off of. So is the entire project M&T and biscuits, no mechanical fasteners? Love the craftsman ship from one woodworker to another. So the entire project is out of Cypress?
    Thanks! The drawer carcasses are out of poplar and I cheated with plywood bottoms. No mechanical fasteners to put the table together; only the drawer hardware...
    Charlotte, NC

• NC_Egghead
    Options
    Amazing work !! #skills
    Definitely keeping this in mind for my next table build :)

How are the drawers after a year outside ?
    Drawers are still like new. It does stay covered when not in use so that helps a lot.

Funny you should ask though. I fired it up last night for some nice thick bone-in pork chops. I new a big t-storm was coming but wanted it to be ready to go right after the storm passed so fired it up pre-storm. While I was cooking the chops, after the storm, I opened the drawer on the left to find about a quarter inch of water in it. Had to pull it out and dump the water out, then dried it with a towel later. I should have had a little more overhang from the granite above that drawer. 
    Charlotte, NC

• Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    Wow!  Awesome.  I'll take one. Thanks!
    Madison, AL
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    Appreciate it. 
    Charlotte, NC

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I didnt see this post originally. Beautiful and amazing work!

Little Rock, AR

• NC_Egghead
    Options
    Charlotte, NC

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Very very nice.   I wish I had those kind of skills.    True craftsmanship.   
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    @MotownVol and @henapple, appreciate it. It was a lot of work but worth it. 
    Charlotte, NC

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Impressive work, great shop and tools! 

I guess I missed this when you originally posted.

Yeah, you gotta watch the finish "gluing" the expansion joints.  I put my shelf and top on sliding hardware so they can expand/contract.  Because my design was very simple, I didn't have the challenges you did with panels and drawers.

What did you use to cut the dovetail?  I have an Incra system that does them.  Pretty flexible but there's a learning curve and expensive.
    Very nice! Great job
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    New here, so this is the first I have seen this.  Great table - well done!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • NC_Egghead
    Options

What did you use to cut the dovetail?  I have an Incra system that does them.  Pretty flexible but there's a learning curve and expensive.
    Those Incra systems are super accurate. I'd like to have one for my router table but haven't been able to justify it yet, for what I do. I just used an inexpensive Porter Cable dovetail jig and a router. I think with anything like that, there's an initial learning curve but once you understand the "why" behind all the adjustments, it makes more sense how to use the tool and dial it in. 
    Charlotte, NC

• NC_Egghead
    Options
    Charlotte, NC

• er17165
    Options
    Fantastic looking table!  Are you willing to share your sketchup file?  Thanks!
  • Stagger65
    Options
    Gorgeous table