Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I've bought my very last bag of lump....

Options

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Good luck
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    Interesting...but, I think I'll continue to purchase it from the store!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    You know, I will never complain about $20CDN ($15US) for 8Kg of Maple Leaf, again, ever.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    $10.00 for about 18 pound bag Royal Oak at local Walmart. I will go to Walmart. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I would really like to try making it ONCE. maybe not this method
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I had no idea @stlcharcoal had such big biceps, but the shipping costs from Australia explain the price of his lump. B)

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Uses "primitive methods", films with digital camera, uploaded to internet.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    No cargo shorts......gotta go with the loin cloth if going old school.

You be surprised though--those types of kilns are how they make charcoal down in South America.  They build then, then knock them down to get the charcoal out.  Check out "The Charcoal People" a documentary by Vanguard.  It used to be on Amazon Prime.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    No cargo shorts......gotta go with the loin cloth if going old school.

You be surprised though--those types of kilns are how they make charcoal down in South America.  They build then, then knock them down to get the charcoal out.  Check out "The Charcoal People" a documentary by Vanguard.  It used to be on Amazon Prime.
    i remember reading an old article about the raggys making lump in lowell mass way back when. they were called raggys because their cloths would get ruined during the process that was similar to this though in giant mounds. workers would have to climb those mounds to make needed patches to the sawdust mud casings and ever once in a while one fell thru. no one dated the raggys =) went looking for that article a few years ago but it doesnt appear to be archived on the internet, it was in a local paper
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    But there were small pieces in there. I thought only the hardware store made the pieces small. This flies in the face of all I have heard. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited July 2016
    Options
    gmac said:
    But there were small pieces in there. I thought only the hardware store made the pieces small. This flies in the face of all I have heard. 

Maybe the next installment is the primitive screening and bagging system??  :confused:

After cooling, 20-30% falls through the screens into the fines pile for many other uses.  It's 6 lbs of wood for every 1 lbs of charcoal, then only 75% of that into makes it into the bag.....takes a LOT of wood to make lump charcoal.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    That was an interesting video. Thanks for posting. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    Was it just me or did anyone else find it funny that he struck a match to light the fire on top of the mound. I was sure he was going to do the spinning stick friction thing first. At any rate a very informative video, I have to make a note to make some extra room in my bug out bag, cause I don't think I'll be rolling my own.

Now, on to the really important issues, like how do I fit a mini into a bug out bag...