Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Cook for In-Laws 50 Wedding Anniversary (Pic Heavy)

This last weekend my wife and her sister surprised her mom and dad by inviting family and close friends in for a catered dinner on Friday.  It was a hit and they couldn't believe how big and what their daughters had done for them.  Well Saturday they needed to feed the family and others that were in from out of town so they asked me and My brother-in-law to cook up some BBQ.  He was busy with work at home so he was only able to some a pork but so I did everything else.  I first put on a 7.5 pound brisket point on at 8:30 after getting the fire started around 7:20.  I used some cherry and hickory wood for smoke and cooked at around 250 to 275.  

I then got my WSM ready to put ribs on for 2-1-1.  Lit the WSM at about 9:45 or so.  I began prepping the full spar ribs, by cutting them down to St Louis style and rubbing with Cookshack Fast Eddies BBQ rub after pulling the membrane.  I then put them in the fridge while I got the WSM ready.  I put the ribs and the riblets on at around 11:00 at around 265 and let them smoke for 2 hours with apple and pecan wood and a water pan.  I also put some Brushes baked beans in my Dutch Oven and sent them on the bottom rack of the WSM for the rib juice to drip in to.

I then pulled my chicken pieces from the brine I had started the day before to sit and dry on bakers rack.  At 1:15 pm I pulled the ribs and wrapped them in foil with butter, honey, brown sugar and a little apple juice.  At 2:00 pm the brisket point was close to probing like butter, but I needed it to be done so I wrapped it in foil.  At 2:30 pm the point was were I needed it so I pulled it to let rest before I cut it up to make burnt ends.  I then pulled the ribs from the foil and put them back on the WSM.  At 3:00 pm I brushed on a Q39 honey glaze onto the ribs, cubed up the point and mixed it up with a new sauce from my Dealer called Checkered Flag BBQ Pole Position Original Sauce and put them back on the egg at 275.  At 3:30 I pulled the ribs and FTC'd them.  I also moved the burnt ends over to the WSM and put the chicken on the egg at 300 indirect.  I also pulled the beans at this time so they would thicken up a little.  At 4:15 I cranked the egg to 4:30 and pulled the chicken around 155 to 160 and FTC'd them so they would finish cooking and stay warm.  I also pulled the burnt ends and put them in a crack pot on low and the same for the beans till I loaded everything into my truck for transport after I took a shower.  Arrived at Sister-in-laws and we started setting up food outside on tables.  AT 6:00 pm I sliced the two slabs of ribs and everyone started eating.  It was some of the best food I have ever cooked and my wife liked the ribs because putting the ribs back in the foil they were a little fall of the bones.  The chicken was juicy and the burnt ends some of my best.  Our family from New Jersey lived it as you will see in one photo.  My  brother-in-law's pulled pork was really good.  He uses and old Oklahoma Joe offset smoker.  I was told by a few people that our food was better then the day before so that made me feel pretty good.  My mother-in-law said it is some of the best BBQ you going to get in town.  Her words not mine.  I am still trying to be as good as one of our newer restaurants https://q39kc.com/.  Getting close.  Sorry for being so wordy.  It was a long day and weekend, but well worth it.  Thanks for looking.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments