Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crappie Fish

g8golfer
g8golfer Posts: 1,025
im thinking about making cooking me some crappie fish on the egg this weekend. I have never cooked any kind of fish so this will be my first go around. Any suggestions on temp?

Comments

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Yep, fried crappie for me too.  KY and Barkley Lakes fed me well when I grew up in Western KY !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    I fried as well. Salt and lime and mmmmm
    Austin, Tx
  • ThrillSeeker
    ThrillSeeker Posts: 306

Crappie is good fried or on the grill.  I grill my filets direct at 400 degrees (dome).

You can always blacken them on a cast iron skillet on the egg too.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2016

Pan or Deep Fried.

Ingredients:

• 1 lb. Filets
    • 2 cups of yellow enriched cornmeal
    • 1/2 cup of self-rising flour
    • 2 teaspoons of Cayenne pepper
    • Salt
    • Tony Chacherie's Creole Seasoning
    • Water
    • Vegetable Shortening, Vegetable Oil, Peanut Oil, or Canola Oil for frying. Peanut oil is best for deep frying in my humble opinion. For pan frying, it hard to beat butter. 

Instructions:

1. Mix corn meal, flour, Cayenne pepper, salt, and Creole Seasoning in large sealable bowl with lid (Season to preference).
    2. Shake ingredients together in bowl until seasonings are mixed very well with flour and corn meal.
    3. Wash filets with water and keep them wet.
    4. Cut to desired serving size pieces. 
    5. Put a reasonable size batch of filets into the bowl with batter (Not too many because it will get the meal too wet and it will not stick to the filets), and put lid back on. 
    6. Shake bowl until all filets are completely covered with batter.
    7. Put oil or shortening into deep fryer and heat to 350 degrees.
    8. Once oil is to desired temperature, drop the battered filets in.
    9. Cook until golden brown or desired texture.
    10. Remove from grease and put on paper towels to remove excess oil.
    11. Lightly spray with lemon juice if desired.

Or on BGE or oven method.

Ingredients:

• 2 pounds fillets
    • 3 tsp lemon juice
    • 3 tb butter
    • 1/2 tsp basil
    • 1/2 tsp dill
    • Salt and pepper
    • 1-2 teaspoons of cayenne.  

Instructions:

Rub fillets with butter and place on aluminum foil. Sprinkle lemon juice, basil, and dill onto fillets and add salt and pepper per your preference. Fold foil over fillets and tightly seal edges to enclose fillets in a "foil pocket". Grill or bake for approximately 15 minutes at 325-350 degrees or until fillets are white and flaky. 

For the record, both methods above are excellent for any freshwater scale fish. The are actually great for freshwater catfish as well  

You can substitute commercial Fish Fry for the above meal mix. It's much easier than mixing your own if it's available in your area. Good luck and enjoy my friend. May the Fish Gods cast their blessing upon you. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    crappie is the best fried fish there is, you want to fry those
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    @SGH knows what he's talking about I promise you. 
    Dyersburg, TN
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Midwest sushi!!
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Reposting here...
    Austin, Tx
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    yep, deep fry.  How'd your ribs come out brother?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Ribs turned out awesome. I've got to learn how to cook different things. I love meats and pork but I also a huge fan of side dishes. 
  • I have done them blackened in a cast iron about 450...but the redneck in me hates to see the tastiest of the fryable fish eaten in such a healthy way. 

Its better than fried catfish, you won't be sorry.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Well, I am hearing good things about frying. :)

Personally I think you need to ask yourself if the egg is always the best thing. For fatty fish like salmon, yes. For meaty fish like Marlin or tuna, yes. For flaky fish???  Maybe not. 

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.