Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip

Options
Hey Guys, 
Looking to do tri-tip for dinner tomorrow night. i've never cook it before so i'd love so input on cooking method and what rub?

Thanks in advance!
Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max

Comments

• EggNashville
    EggNashville Posts: 243
    Options
    So I would search tri-tip in the top right corner of your screen and browse all of the killer threads....many great posts/pics on this cut of meat!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Keep it rare and pay attention to the two distinct grain directions, slice across the grain for best "chew ability". I like any beef friendly rub, favourite is Penzey's English Prime Rib. S&P, garlic powder and some cayenne works. 
    For cooking I like either sous vide and a CI sear or if you want some smoke a reverse sear in the egg. Cook indirect low and slow temps, smoke and pull before IT is 120º, then either hold while egg goes nuclear for a direct sear or use a CI pan with some smoking clarified butter. Enjoy, great cut. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    What @Skiddymarker said about the grain. This is where a lot of people go wrong. You will need to change directions on the slice somewhere on the tri-tip. 
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I've never eaten or cooked Tri Tip.  I've seen it on California cooking shows. Isn't it what they cook for the Santa Maria style cooks?
  • mrosener
    mrosener Posts: 26
    Options
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    The TriTip is an awesome piece of beef. Do the search as suggested. I am a forward sear guy (2-3 min per side) and then brig up to temp indirect. I pull at 115....just me.  Many ways to get to joy on this. Pick one and go for it. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I like it reverse sear. Oakridge Santa Maria rub is amazing on it.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I love them, and cook them,all the time, please feel free to search my previous cooks keywords tri tip. :peace:
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I prefer forward searing too. 
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    mrosener said:
    I've used the marinade in this post several times.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/929926/tri-tip-marinade
    Question about that marinade: 
    >> 1/2 cup chopped dried onions (I found this at an Asian grocery store)

What does dried onions do for the marinade that onion powder wouldn't? 

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I have only reverse seared, but I'm sure it's great either way. I will second others who say slice against the grain and add to not go too thick with your slices and keep in mind that they are easy to over cook.
    Stillwater, MN
  • steventconners20
    Options
    I have made tri-tip tacos a few times and they have always been a hit. I like using Meat Church Dia De La Fajita  I do indirect until 115 then sear direct. Turns out excellent at a medium rare. The only way to mess it up is to over cook it and cut it wrong. Make sure you cut across the grane no matter what. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    before sousvide

EGGFEST 2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012

Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Rich Miller 
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    2 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

after sousvide

120 for 3.75 hours in sousvide water bath, bad byrons butt rub, sear, slice while taking care to rotate roast to cut against grain, dust slices lightly with salt and serve

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GregW
    Options
    before sousvide

Rich Miller 
    Morro Bay, CA

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    2 tablespoons salt

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

after sousvide

120 for 3.75 hours in sousvide water bath, bad byrons butt rub, sear, slice while taking care to rotate roast to cut against grain, dust slices lightly with salt and serve

Since you mentioned Sous Vide, Do you feel you get all the flavor that you would get using traditional methods?

The times I've used my Sous Vide I have been disappointed with the flavor.
    Technically the meat is cooked to perfection, and the sear looks good, It's just the flavor seems to be lacking. Now I'm speaking only of my experience with steaks.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I've made tri-tip dozens of times. I've concluded that there's something about the meat in some of them that never gets really tender, even with watching the direction of the grain. I've sous-vided twice with a reverse sear on the Egg, and both times the meat was tender through and through and really delicious. That's the only way I'll go from now on.
    Judy in San Diego
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Folks will claim Tri Tips need to be cooked to just above raw. I call BS. 140* is where I pull ours. Wrap and in the cooler for 45-60 minutes. Still a bit of pink. Tender and juicey. 
    Will be cooking one Wednesday. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    GregW said:
    before sousvide

Rich Miller 
    Morro Bay, CA

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    2 tablespoons salt

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar

after sousvide

Since you mentioned Sous Vide, Do you feel you get all the flavor that you would get using traditional methods?

The times I've used my Sous Vide I have been disappointed with the flavor.
    Technically the meat is cooked to perfection, and the sear looks good, It's just the flavor seems to be lacking. Now I'm speaking only of my experience with steaks.
    have not done a traditional steak yet. tritips, lamb leg, and even flank water bathed under 4 hours ive had good luck with. did a lamb leg for about 8 hours once and it turned to mush =) wont do that again. ive been using bad byrons butt rub lately on everything and then lightly salting after slicing so theres plenty of flavor going on
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @GregW - to intensify flavour, have you tried a double sear with the Trés Booblay? Saw the technique on "Chef Steps" for pork chops, but it works for all steaks including tri-tip roasts. Sear before and after the water bath. For the after bath sear, dry the meat and season after the sear or use a board sauce, a la Adam Perry Lang. Board sauces work very well with lean cut roasts like tri-tips and rounds.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GregW
    Options
    @GregW - to intensify flavour, have you tried a double sear with the Trés Booblay? Saw the technique on "Chef Steps" for pork chops, but it works for all steaks including tri-tip roasts. Sear before and after the water bath. For the after bath sear, dry the meat and season after the sear or use a board sauce, a la Adam Perry Lang. Board sauces work very well with lean cut roasts like tri-tips and rounds.   
    I have not tried the double sear. I will look on Chef Steps to see.
    Thanks