Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My journey to Lincoln Beach, and padding post count.

Options
nolaegghead
nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
So my buddy Dylan (not eggcelsior) but our Brisket Camp lawyer has been going stir-crazy.  He's living in a misfit pet hospice.  One of his dogs had a stroke, received thousands of dollars in ICU care, now is blind, deaf, incontinent, and needs around the clock care, which his wife provides.  They throw all their resources into every animal to give it a chance for life.  I have many stories of their animals I could talk about them for days.  Off track, sorry.

So anyway, his wife texted me - "you need to take Dylan out on your boat or something, he's depressed with <insert pet name here> and he needs a break, plus he's dealing with some crazy work stuff...etc.

I'm like, sure.  He likes photography, I like photography.  I thought I could leverage that interest with a boat trip to a remote archeological site I've been interested in visiting.  Plus boating is fun.  Night boating even more so.  Add danger from satanic cults, bums, drifters and criminals on the lamb.

I told him, let me know when you have an evening free, we'll go out to Lincoln Beach.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Beach_amusement_park

So Lincoln Beach was a colored beach - the counterpart to Pontchartrain Beach, which was New Orleans white beach.  This was back in the Jim Crow days.  Lincoln beach closed in 1964 when Pontchartrain Beach was desegregated.  So it's gone through entropy, hurricanes, tropical storms, bum encampments and the works for the last 50 years. 

Long story short, I worked today, picked up and dropped off my house painter and we left with the boat around 6PM to Seabrook Bridge launch for a trip in Lake Pontchartrain to visit the remote ruins of the "colored beach".  We anticipated returning in the dark, and we brought a generator and some flood lights for the impending rescue that wasn't needed. Or night fishing for specs.

We got back around 10:30, cleaned up the boat and pressure washed it and now I'm back at home and will share some cell phone pics of the trip.  School night trips are fun!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2016
    Options

Threw in a generator and some flood lights in case of darkness.
    edited July 2016
    Options

Water was shallow around the ruined park.  Had to troll in, like I do on this forum.
    edited July 2016
    Options

50 years of neglect, and storms took it's toll.  It was very overgrown, and graffiti everywhere.
    edited July 2016
    Options

There were some bum encampments, we didn't see anyone, but I grabbed the boat keys when we trekked away from the shore.
    Options

Options

edited July 2016
    Options

Trash all over from squatters, bums.  This is a pretty remote location, but people manage to get there and live in squalor.
    Options

Options
    Great post... Awesome pics and good on you for getting your friend's mind off some pretty heavy stuff.. Also nice looking boat..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That was a great read, thank you for sharing Lincoln Beach. I was very young during the 60s segregation movement. I witnessed the begginning of the change, that by law, happened overnight, but by people's ignorance of one another, has taken years. 
    The remnants that remain of that time are indeed a bit of history.
    Cool read. Great pictures. Hope Dylan got the escape he needed. You are a good man, and a great friend.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    That was a pretty good post count padding post. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    @nolaegghead You need to inlcude a pic of some fairly mundane food in order for this to count toward your 1000 food-related threads, in order to be counted among the self-proclaimed relevants. 

We'll get there though everyone. We all can do it if we try. 

It might be easier and quicker tho if a few of us decide to pool together. If four of us each post 250 threads about chicken and a weekly steak and similar stuff, then we could divide 1 unit of "BGE forum superiority" among the group 

just a thought. Having .25 Forum Credibility is better than nothing. 

thinking tonight i will post a hot dog cook

other than that, great post

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Very cool. Photography exploring is fun. That and boating are stress relievers for sure. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great pics.  Looks like a great place to explorer.  How far of a trip was it?  Seemed like a long trip for a dingy :)
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    texaswig said:
    That and boating are stress relievers for sure. 
    Only when the boat is running...
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Neat trip and great pics ... thanks for posting.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    cool night trip,  when i used to go out on the salt at night it was with an old loran-c. gps rules now, i used to miss destinations by 40 miles, even beached the boat at 30 mph once and had to wait for the tides to turn =) so quiet and peaceful out there at night
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Very cool. I'm going to have to drag the pontoon over sometime for some exploration
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @nolaegghead You need to inlcude a pic of some fairly mundane food in order for this to count toward your 1000 food-related threads, in order to be counted among the self-proclaimed relevants. 

It might be easier and quicker tho if a few of us decide to pool together. If four of us each post 250 threads about chicken and a weekly steak and similar stuff, then we could divide 1 unit of "BGE forum superiority" among the group 
    Great story and bit of history.

Here are some chicken pics for you to qualify as a food thread. Of course, this is even better in the egg.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Man, I'd love to get out there with my camera and tripod!  Thanks for posting.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Thanks for posting.  That was a smart move taking the boat keys with you :) Yesterday evening was spectacular on the lake.  We had guests in town and took them to the seawall to watch the sunset and sailboats.  Beautiful evening.
    New Orleans LA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Legume said:

Great story and bit of history.

Here are some chicken pics for you to qualify as a food thread. Of course, this is even better in the egg.

thats how they make the famous mingah valley chicken barbs up here. used to be on all the menus, shred it up, dollop of mayo, single slice of lettuce, hamburger bunn...the chicken barb, i grew up on those
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nole_Fan
    Nole_Fan Posts: 54
    Options

Nice little Key Largo.  That 4stroke 75 looks huge on it!

Be sure to post any other pictures that were taken with the good cameras, I am sure they are great.  Good history lesson!

LBGE
    Thomasville, GA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Good post.  I felt like I was on the excursion with you. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I have never heard of such a place.
    NOLA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Cool post Carey!  And good of you help out a friend.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    Great post and pictures, interesting place. You captured a bunch in the shots, did you get the feeling you maybe were being watched? Looks like a place you do a lot of digging around although maybe a bit risky. Thanks for posting.

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    What a great outing and great pictures. Beautiful sunset....worth the price of admission alone. Appreciate your sharing.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Great post and pictures, I had no idea about the beaches and that one was named after me. Thanks for sharing.

Johns Creek, Georgia