Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try with the JoeTisserrie

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
It is kindergarten simple! Nevertheless, I made a funny beginner mistake: I didn't notice the plastic tips over the points of the clamping forks till I'd already shoved some through the meat! 

OK plastic tips off, I had two racks of St. Louis ribs oiled and rubbed with Meat Church Honey Hog BBQ rub. Platesetter legs up with a drip pan, cherry wood chunks, and 300° on the FANTASTIC black 3-inch SmokeWare thermometer. It is so easy to read from a distance...I had to keep the Egg far away to plug the motor in the only electrical outlet outside.

To keep the temperature I had to keep the bottom vent closed and the daisy barely open. After 3 hours I brushed on my favorite sauce, courtesy of RRP: 

J.K.'S WILD BOAR SOUL BBQ SAUCE

Mike Flaherty - March 30, 2001

From Ron Pratt 

You should REALLY REALLY REALLY try this. I believe that it's an inspired compendium of common ingredients, whose sum is infinitely greater than its individual components.

This is half a recipe, and makes 2 quarts.

Mix in big pot over low heat:

1/6 cup salt (2-1/2 Tbsp.)

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar, heaping

1 cup beef bouillon strong (RRP here…I use a cup of Swanson Beef Broth plus 1 Wyler’s Beef bouillon cube)

6 cups water

When sugars dissolve, add:

1 cup yellow mustard

1/2 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup Wright’s Liquid Smoke. Yes, that's right! (or add slowly  to your liking)

1 cup Worcestershire sauce

3 (6-oz.) cans tomato paste

2 Tbsp. Kitchen Bouquet to darken

Add chile powder (the real thing), cayenne, whatever to add heat. Hatch ground chile is my favorite. I might try adding baby Szechuan peppers or chili pequins next time. I also like to make a not-too-hot sauce, and serve with lots of sliced fresh jalapeno. (RRP here…I just use 1 teaspoon of chipotle powder and 2 Tbsp. of Mexene blend chile powder. It makes it sassy enough but not mouth burning.)

Simmer bubbling slowly for 2 hours.... will reduce by 1/3 and darken. (RRP here…my experience is it never reduces that much, but more like 1”. Just be sure to stir from time to time! ). It will thicken as it cools.

RRP here…I have been making this as our house sauce for 12 years now and we just love it. I have found that it will freeze nicely though it will never be rock hard. So rather than to try to further cut this recipe in half just trust me that you’ll like it, but if not you’ll find friends who do.

It took about 3-1/2 hours.

It was really special...the meat was "smoother" than the usual ribs. Dipped in more sauce and eaten with crunchy cole slaw (Marie's refrigerated Coleslaw Dressing, my favorite, with onion powder and black pepper.) 

I've never found just the right coleslaw dressing recipe, have you? 

BTW, that silver pan under the ribs is an 18" pizza pan, the only thing I bought on my first and only trip to Restaurant Depot. It is THE perfect pan to use with the Egg...bringing meat out, taking it off the Egg and into the house, whatever. I don't know what I'd do without it.

Judy in San Diego

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Wow...that is a LOT of liquid smoke in that recipe.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    This has been my favorite slaw recipe.  Lots of compliments from slaw haters too.  Hope this pic is clear enough. 
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • jdsmithii
    jdsmithii Posts: 50
    Options
    Fuji Apple Slaw

Ingredients

• 1 large shallot, brunoise
    • ¼ cup cider vinegar
    • 1 teaspoon honey
    • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    • Salt to taste
    • ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 head Napa cabbage, shredded
    • ½ red onion, jullienne
    • 2 Fuji apples, jullienne
    • 1½ teaspoons celery seed

Preparation

Mince shallot and place in a bowl with vinegar, honey, mustard and salt.

Chop remaining vegetables and apples. When finished, slowly whisk the olive oil into the shallots mixture to emulsify.

Dress the Napa cabbage and apples with the vinaigrette, then add the celery seed. Allow flavors to marry in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.

• Hub
      Hub Posts: 927
      Options
      Interesting cook.  I bought the Joetissirrie a month or so ago and have really enjoyed it, but I have not yet used it for an indirect cook.  I've cooked bone in, skin on chicken breasts, pork chops, chicken kabobs, and chicken tenders with the Joetissirrie, but always direct or at least semi-direct.
      Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
    • bigbadben
      bigbadben Posts: 397
      Options
      That looks good! 
    • eggnewtoy
      eggnewtoy Posts: 496
      Options
      Love the cook on the Joetisserie and glad you had a great first cook.  Love the ribs and have adapted most of my recipes for it and use a basket a lot for chops, wings, thighs, butterflied Cornish hens, steaks, you name it.  Only issue I have is cooking more than one slab at a time.  Found the ribolater (http://www.ribolator.com) and am considering the purchase.  They say it works with the Joetisserie.  Thoughts?  
      BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• eggnewtoy
      Options
      @Hub--I've used it for indirect cook and it works well although like direct better.  

• calracefan
      calracefan Posts: 606
      Options
      If that is an 18" pan that must be an XL egg ?
      Ova B.
      Fulton MO
    • smbishop
      smbishop Posts: 3,053
      Options
      Grate cook Judy!  Thanks for sharing the recipe!
      Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
    • smbishop
      Options
      eggnewtoy said:
      Found the ribolater (http://www.ribolator.com) and am considering the purchase.  They say it works with the Joetisserie.  Thoughts?  
      That looks interesting. Bookmarked.  Will wait for your purchase and thoughts.  :)
      Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
    • RRP
      RRP Posts: 25,893
      Options
      Nice job, Judy!
      Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
    • HeavyG
      Options
      If that is an 18" pan that must be an XL egg ?
      Can't be an XL as the only Joetisserie available now is for the KJ Classic which is the same size as the BGE Large.  The Joetisserie for the Big Joe/XL should be available in a few more months.
      “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Judy Mayberry
      edited July 2016
      Options
      @calracefan: I have no idea what Restaurant Depot customer would buy an 18" pizza pan. I store it standing up against a cabinet base, and use it for transporting meat to and from the Large Egg, using the side shelves of the nest to hold it. I make all my pizzas in-house like Carolina Q does.
      Judy in San Diego
    • RRP
      Options
      Judy, question for you. Can the motor of that Joetisserie be moved from one side to the other? I'm afraid I would have a clearance problem if it is stationary on just one side.
    • Judy Mayberry
      Options
      @smbishop: I don't know who "they" is, regarding the Ribolator. I looked at their website and it does not mention kamados. The trays are 18" wide, plus an expensive adjustable setup that adjusts as small as 14". Perhaps I missed it...and it would fit an XL. I only have a Large at 18", and smaller Eggs.
      Judy in San Diego
    • calracefan
      calracefan Posts: 606
      Options
      @calracefan: I have no idea what Restaurant Depot customer would buy an 18" pizza pan. I store it standing up against a cabinet base, and use it for transporting meat to and from the Large Egg, using the side shelves of the nest to hold it. I make all my pizzas in-house like Carolina Q does.

Was just reasoning that a Large BGE is 18" Diameter , so the pan in yours would have to measure some smaller or your Egg is an XL due to the clearance I see around the pan. No big deal, if it works , use it ! . 18" pizza is a big pie !
      Ova B.
      Fulton MO
    • eggnewtoy
      Options
      @Judy Mayberry @smbishop.  I called ribolator and found that they have 2 models.  The one that works on the large BGE has adjustable trays that start at 14 inches and expand to about 22 inches.  I've ordered.  Here's where you can find it:  https://www.amazon.com/The-Rib-O-Lator-Rotisserie-Rol-Adj/dp/B00HI59RCM.  Also did a search using the phrase adjustable ribolator. hope this is helpful.

• smbishop
      Options
      Thank you!!
    • HeavyG
      Options
      RRP said:
      Judy, question for you. Can the motor of that Joetisserie be moved from one side to the other? I'm afraid I would have a clearance problem if it is stationary on just one side.
      No. Even if you could relocate the motor/mount the way the ring is cast the outer wall on the right side of the ring is solid which would prevent the spit rod from fitting into the ring.

I guess you could modify a Joetisserie to be ambidextrous. 

• eggnewtoy
      Options
      @RRP:  Not really.  The ring is tapered to close so if you try to move to other side, lid doesn't close.  Hope that helps.

• Judy Mayberry
      Options
      @eggnewtoy: On the Amazon website the specs show the trays are only 5" wide. One of the negative reviews, "Size Matters," addresses that limitation. No thanks.
      Judy in San Diego
    • eggnewtoy
      Options
      @Judy Mayberry. We'll see how it works when it arrives.  My goal is to be able to spin multiple racks at a time.  Just measured a Costco rack of St. Louis ribs and at the longest point, they measured 4 inches so I have high expectations for this product solving my issue of not being able to spin more than on rack at a time.  I did see 7 excellent reviews glowing reviews, and the negative review isn't enough to sway me considering there is a 30 day return policy.  Stay tuned. I will be posting.  Fingers crossed for me.  

• smokeyw
      smokeyw Posts: 367
      Options
      eggnewtoy said:
      @Judy Mayberry. We'll see how it works when it arrives.  My goal is to be able to spin multiple racks at a time.  Just measured a Costco rack of St. Louis ribs and at the longest point, they measured 4 inches so I have high expectations for this product solving my issue of not being able to spin more than on rack at a time.  I did see 7 excellent reviews glowing reviews, and the negative review isn't enough to sway me considering there is a 30 day return policy.  Stay tuned. I will be posting.  Fingers crossed for me.  

I'm interested in hearing how you like it. All the ribs I cook are either St. Louis cut or baby backs so the 5" width trays will not be an issue. It sounds good to me so far!
    • HeavyG
      Options
      I vaguely recall reading on another kamado forum that the Ribolator didn't work with the current sized  Joetisserie unless one cuts about a half inch off the trays.

• eggnewtoy
      Options
      That's why the adjustable should work.  

• HeavyG
      Options
      eggnewtoy said:
      That's why the adjustable should work.  
      He was using the adjustable. I don't recall if perhaps he had an older model that didn't close the shelves down to 14" like the one you linked to. Even at the smallest length it was a skosh to long. He took the trays apart and cut the "male" tray down a 1/4" but wished he had cut it a 1/2" shorter. He also said removing the fire ring helped with the baskets rotating freely. His was on a KJ Classic so the fire ring may or may not be an issue on the BGE Large.

• RRP
      Options
      HeavyG said:
      RRP said:
      No. Even if you could relocate the motor/mount the way the ring is cast the outer wall on the right side of the ring is solid which would prevent the spit rod from fitting into the ring.

I guess you could modify a Joetisserie to be ambidextrous. 
      OK - let me ask it another way...could a person simply turn it upside down so the motor is on the right? IOW one end stuck in the motor is protected from falling out so does the opposite end stick in a slot or does it just lay there and rub on the tapered ring. Personally I couldn't care less that the name Joetisserie is upside down.
    • smokeyw
      smokeyw Posts: 367
      Options
      It drops straight down into a notch. There would be nothing to hold it so it wouldn't fall out. The motor would also fall off.
    • HeavyG
      Options
      smokeyw said:
      It drops straight down into a notch. There would be nothing to hold it so it wouldn't fall out. The motor would also fall off.
      Exactly.

Gravity is working against the Joetiserie if placed upside down. Both the spit rod and motor just drop into place.

• RRP
      Options
      One more thought - couldn't a well placed set screw keep the motor from falling out and on the other end a simple strap of metal screwed to the ring to also keep that end from falling out?