Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Montréal Smoked Meat / Pastrami Style Deboned Short Ribs

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,669
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
I was planning on smoking some deboned short ribs sometime during the weekend but I got lazy and did not cook them...  They are about to "expire" and I won't have time to cook them this week.  I also do not have any room left in the freezer.  What to do?  Smoked meat is the answer!  I am starting with a corned beef brine (recipe from Charcuterie) for a few days.  I will then rub the meat with Schwartz beef spices, let it dry until the weekend and smoke it for a few hours.

Sounds like a plan?

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Looks like a killer cook. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    sounds like a great plan! nice marbling, since it's not hunk of brisket I suppose brine time will be shortened? also love the briner bucket.
    canuckland
  • paqman
    @Canugghead I am planning on a 2-3 days brine time.  I'll remove from the brine when the meat is firm to the touch.

EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Very interesting ... Looking forward to the outcome.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • paqman
    @GrateEggspectations The Clamato is always for me :)

@paqman: My most burning question - is that Clamato for the recipe or the Chef?! Would love to see the final results (of the beef, not your Ceasar).  ;)
    I would like to see the Caesar. But great idea. Looking forward to the final pictures 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • paqman
    I let the brine cool down in the fridge and put the meat in.  @Canugghead The Briner bucket was a good investment.   I don't use it often but when I do, it is a lifesaver.

@paqman. Does that recipe use #2 curing salt or just Prague powder? I haven't done any cured beef products, sausages and back bacon I have done but I'm looking very closely at this one. 
  • paqman
    @gmac it uses Prague powder #1 AKA pink salt

gmac Posts: 1,814
    @grateeggspectations, where are you? I can send you some. A local store always has it but it's not pink. It's white but it's Prague powder. I use it for sausages and back bacon. Seriously, in Canada and I'll gladly send you a bag. 
  • @gmac: That is an exceptionally kind offer. Thanks brother. After quite a bit of searching, I was finally able to find some at Nicastro's on Merivale Road, in Ottawa. Must say, it was quite a struggle to find it. A lot of shop keepers weren't sure what it was I was looking for. The curing salt I finally found at Nicastro's is not pink either, but I've used it for some bacon with great success.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Well the offer still stands. Just let me know. 
  • paqman
    @GrateEggspectations I ordered it online from http://www.stuffers.com/prague-powder-p/rcuprague1.htm

The local stores I visited could not provide details about the percentage of nitrite sobI did not take a chance.

@gmac The one I use is white but it has the right percentage of nitrite in it.

@paqman yeah, gotta be careful that people don't have ready-cure 1% instead of real Prague. My local grocery store originally sold me Ready cure, telling me it was the same thing. Good old internet saved me and I used it but at different rates obviously. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    are you going to water soak it after the brine, made the mistake once of smoking corned beef ribs without a soak and it really condensed it into a salt lick =)  i have never seen the cure added to corned beef ribs here, its done salt only here, they dont turn red
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • paqman
    @fishlessman The ribs were 3 days in the brine.  They were nice and firm but kinda gray.  I drained the brine and let them spend 1 day in fresh water.  Last night, I removed them from the water and rubbed them with Schwartz's beef seasoning.  My goal was to let them air dry for the night but I ran out of fridge real estate so I had to let them rest in a ziploc bag.  I've just put them on the egg @ 250F

If the whole things tastes like the small slice that I cooked in a pan to make sure it was not too salty; I'll be in business.

It is pouring rain right now, I'll take pics on the egg later.

I await the result eagerly. The seasoning blend looks like a winner

(BTW, regarding your tag line,

" Without doubt princes become great when they overcome the
    difficulties and obstacles by which they are confronted, and therefore
    fortune, especially when she desires to make a new prince great, who
    has a greater necessity to earn renown than an hereditary one, causes
    enemies to arise and form designs against him, in order that he may have
    the opportunity of overcoming them, and by them to mount higher, as by a
    ladder which his enemies have raised. For this reason many consider that
    a wise prince, when he has the opportunity, ought with craft to foster
    some animosity against himself, so that, having crushed it, his renown
    may rise higher."

is the closest I could find. I hadn't read "The Prince" for many years, but I recognized "entreprenuers" as a French word from a few centuries later.)

• paqman
    @gdenby I hope that you looked up that quote and did not remember it in full :) I read The Prince for the first time when I was 12 years old; that was a heavy read back then.

It is coming along nicely... The first bite was out of this world.

I have no words to describe... Perfection 

Plate ribs with a side of home made short ribs smoked meat: