Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I flip chicken thighs?

acegg77
acegg77 Posts: 120
edited July 2016 in Poultry
I'm cooking a doz. chicken thighs with just a rub (no sauce.) Am doing it raised direct at 350. I started them skin-up on grill sprayed with Pam. Do I flip these? If so when? Won't the skin stick to the grill? I want my July 4th feast to be good for our guests. (Maybe I should have tried thighs out before having guests!!) Help me not ruin this!!!!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    If you are cooking raised direct, flipping is not 100% necessary. However any time I cook raised or raised direct, I like to flip. That's just me though. With that said, if you have never cooked thighs raised direct, you should probably flip. Better to be safe than sorry. Once you get the feel of cooking raised direct, then start experimenting with not flipping if you want. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    I just pick up a thigh spray a shot of pam and turn it skin side down. Never sticks.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I never flip chicken thighs, breasts, or turkey thighs.  I use a rack for legs.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Flippin' is fine and a great way to get extra crispy skin. If it looks like it's gonna stick, then give it a few more mins and it'll release. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    If you're just using a rub, try mixing in a little cornstarch.  Helps make for nice crispy skin.
    I do flip.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • acegg77
    acegg77 Posts: 120
    I didn't flip. They are off the grill. I took them off when the meat probe thermo said 180... I hope I didn't over-cook.  I put them on a large platter and covered with foil and used a toothpick to make holes in the foil. I want to keep them warm until company comes in 90 minutes. I'll let you know how they turned out. BTW, the 'rub' I used (on both sides) was a light dusting of Dizzy Pig, a little bit of garlic salt, a little bit of kosher salt, a little bit of ground pepper and a dusting of paprika for color. If it doesn't taste good there is always KFC or Burger King!!!  :)

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I'll bet they're fine,  I overshoot chicken temp-wise all the time and (except for once) still get juicy meat.  
    As far as flipping, only when the chicken parts are NOT raised, for me.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.