Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken roasted low and slow questions

Options
Reading several threads and wanted a few pointers before I tried this for the first time.  I normally spatchcock my chickens and do them raised direct at about 375-400 for an hour.  I've had inconsistent skin doneness by the time the meat is done, so wanted to play with the L&S technique.  Plus, I have plenty of time today.

My bird is tiny - about 2.5 lbs.  It's just me and my 6 year old for dinner tonight.

1.  Spatchcock or not?  I'm leaning towards not due to the small size of the bird.
2.  With a small bird, what is a vague estimation on time required at 250?  See #3 as it might change the answer.
3.  Direct or indirect?  I was planning raised direct.
4.  And finally, start breast skin down for a bit, then flip?  Or, just leave it up since it's low and slow?

Thanks for any opinions!  Don't really need precise instructions since every cook is different and it's done when it's done.  Just general thoughts - especially with opinions about how long I should plan for the cook in order to get my timing in the ballpark.
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've not tried what you describe but my gut tells me that a prolonged cook is going to dry it out. Do you let the skin air dry uncovered in fridge? Do you use corn starch?  Just this week I did chicken wings half with corn starch and half without. Corn starch made for crunchier skin. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited June 2016
    Options
    if i spatchcock, i go direct and not low temp.

if truly roasting a bird, then roasting is indirect.  i leave it whole, on a vee rack, and let it ride.  how long? i don't ever really time my cooks so i can't help there.

did you dry the skin overnight?  that usually guarantees crisp skin, though the long cook helps.  also want to loosen the skin by running a finger under it everywhere you can.

some fat (oil, butter, etc.) under/on the skin helps too.  not a ton, just enough to coat the skin a bit.  helps with holding spices and herbs
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    I've not tried what you describe but my gut tells me that a prolonged cook is going to dry it out. Do you let the skin air dry uncovered in fridge? Do you use corn starch?  Just this week I did chicken wings half with corn starch and half without. Corn starch made for crunchier skin. 
    this doesn't dry it out.  you can't have meat cooked to your desired temo which is also dried out. 

cook a rib eye at 220 for a few hours, and take it off at 125/135, and it might actually retain MORE moisture than cooking it at 500 to the same internal.

essentially though, the temp you cook AT is far far less important than the temp you cook TO
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Darby, I was hoping you'd jump in this thread.  I've read your other comments in other threads which are always helpful.  And, yes, you got me on the technicality of roasting vs spatch direct.  I was just making sure people knew I wasn't looking for BBQ chicken.

And, I don't need any kind of exact time, but I don't want it off by several hours like some others have commented.  Most people seem to think they take about 6 hours, but I was kind of thinking that this small of a bird might be more like 4 or even less if it's spatched.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you spatch it then it will cook faster even at a low temp indirect.  It creates a flatter profile so I think it will cook faster.

Since you have plenty of time I would just leave it whole and plan for 4 hours. There is no harm in kicking up the heat if you need to at the end.  I would think you would still get some of the benefits of the low and slow (more time for skin to dry) even if you have to raise the temp to finish faster.  However my guesstimate on a 2.5 lb bird is it will finish within 4 hours anyway.  

I like the idea of flipping it at some point, just to promote even browning around the bird.  Also I would try to raise it a above gasket level.  If you have a V-rack with legs that would work fine.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    If your reason for trying indirect L&S is to get better skin (crispy) I think you'll be disappointed.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    a couple of thoughts- You may be cooking at too low a temp for the spatch to crisp up. I'm 400-450.  I do cook raised indirect but lots of guys go direct. I think you could fix the soggy skin issue by cooking a little hotter and higher up or see thought 2 below.

i always dry brine my birds for a few hours- nothing but a sprinkling of salt uncovered in the fridge. Then I rinse and air dry in the fridge for a few hours if I have the time. Then I rub it down right before I cook it and cook it hot. The skin is very crispy. I have stopped wet brining and I have bumped up the temp over the years. I like what it does for the skin.

I work at home so I can do it at lunch and cook it for dinner. Not everyone has that luxury so that that FWIW.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A spatch at that temp (raised direct) for an hour is too long. I'll get to 160/180 is 35 to 45 with a larger bird. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    A spatch at that temp (raised direct) for an hour is too long. I'll get to 160/180 is 35 to 45 with a larger bird. 
    You're talking normal temps, right?  Like 350-425?  I'm looking for low temp (250) help.  My results are similar to yours doing it the normal way.  This is my first go at low.

SciAggie said:
    Yep, that's what got me thinking I might want to try this out.....
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I do 250-275 indirect with 4 to five pound birds a lot. It rarely takes more than 3 to 4 hours. I would plan for 3 hours max with a bird that is 2.5 pounds
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @cssmd27 I learned I was way over thinking this. Follow @Darby_Crenshaw advice and you'll do fine. I got my egg stable at 250 with the plate setter in. I made SURE the chicken was dry, then added some DP rub I like. Since the chicken is dry not much sticks but I'm ok with that. I trussed the legs and folded the wings back under the breast. 
    I put it on the egg with the legs to the back. Now go about your day and fagetaboutit...
    I started checking for doneness at 5 hours. Leave the thermometer alone and try to "jiggle" a leg. When it is "jiggly" in the socket take it off and rest it a bit. You'll be in heaven. 
    As @Darby_Crenshaw also will say, there will be folks tell you "that won't work" or "that's WAY too long to cook chicken." Frankly you have two choices; listen to the naysayers or give it a shot. Stick to your guns and let the bird ride - it will come out great. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    If your reason for trying indirect L&S is to get better skin (crispy) I think you'll be disappointed.
    which is what everyone says.  unless, you know, they try it  ;)

i find rubbery skin occurs at higher roast temps and shorter cook times.

spatch is one thing.  if someone likes spatchcock, that is great

but it is entirely possible to simply roast a whole bird and have crispy skin, low and slow.

do it all the time.

try to remember folks, OP asked a specific question.  he didn't ask how to spatchcock, or how you like your chicken.  he asked if he could go indirect at low temps for a long while, until he hits his normal 'done' temp.

answer? sure.

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    which is what everyone says.  unless, you know, they try it  ;)

i find rubbery skin occurs at higher roast temps and shorter cook times.

spatch is one thing.  if someone likes spatchcock, that is great

but it is entirely possible to simply roast a whole bird and have crispy skin, low and slow.

do it all the time.

try to remember folks, OP asked a specific question.  he didn't ask how to spatchcock, or how you like your chicken.  he asked if he could go indirect at low temps for a long while, until he hits his normal 'done' temp.

answer? sure.

And it will be delicious!
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Never cooked a bird that size, and I only cook spatch'd direct. So no info from which I  can extrapolate.

The only thing i can offer is that even if the dome temp is 250-ish, direct heat still means the side of the bird toward the lump may be getting 500F from IR. I'll suggest turning frequently. The air cavity in the bird will insulate the up side. Maybe go 10 minutes breast down, 7 minutes back down. Baste flip repeat. I would expect w. some luck you might get skin rather like market rotisserie chicken.

If you have time to spend, bet a bucket filled w. warm spiced broth. Take the carcass out every 15 minutes, and submerge it. Flip each time. A 4 -5 pound carcass takes me  at least 5 hours. Meat most tender, skin, a gooey but tasty gel, probably black from smoke.