Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help identify this tree

Options
2»

Comments

• Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    The camphor tree certainly grows in Florida.  It is native to China, Japan, Korea and Vietnam.  But it was deliberately introduced other places as an ornamental tree in the 19th and early 20th century, including the US and Australia.  Florida has classified it as a Category 1invasive species (Cat. 1 is bad...it is already displacing native plant communities.  Cat 2 are also bad, but "only" have a possibility of displacing native plants in the future).  While not quite yet on the "illegal to plant or import" list in Australia, it is also classified as a Cat 1 invasive species there and widely hated.

Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    Looks just like the two Camphor trees I have in my yard... should give off a menthol odor when you crush the leaves. ....
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Looks like this mystery is solved.  Camphor tree.  Leaves and bark match from the photos.  I just crushed some leaves and yep, menthol smell.  Thank you everyone.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Camphor tree.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It's certainly not one of Rons money trees ;)
    If it was, it would be covered in hundreds =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• OneNole03
    OneNole03 Posts: 93
    Options
    Keep an eye out for growth around your yard. It drops a lot of seeds which will sprout growth every where. As said above, it is quite invasive. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    You're in FL and that first shot looks like a scrub or water oak. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    If you want to be absolutely certain, remove a sample of a branch with leaves on it and take it to your Extension office.  They can send it to your state plant diagnostic lab to be positively identified.  Here in Ky. that service is free.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I recognize him....that is Dimee Tree. He use to live in my neighborhood.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    If you want to be absolutely certain, remove a sample of a branch with leaves on it and take it to your Extension office.  They can send it to your state plant diagnostic lab to be positively identified.  Here in Ky. that service is free.  
    Here is SC....that service is run by Clempson. I would just as soon have a case of poison ivy between my legs than take it to them. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow