Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco During KJ Road Show = Dangerous

Options
13»

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Canugghead said:
    tempted to get this used Grill Dome for $75  =) nay

Shot of penicillin should clear that right up.   =)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Good score but i think red goes on the left for port and green should be on the right for starboard.....
    Red right returning.  It's coming at you! 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'll be in Myrtle Beach in 7/1, with the KJ roadshow going through 7/3. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    @Eggcelsior - If you want a Jr and just can't deal with the color, I'll swap you my black one.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I picked up a Joe Jr. at the local Costco roadshow. Compared to a MM, it's just too good a deal, and it comes ready to cook with everything needed including a versatile indirect setup and a hinged 304 stainless grid. I bought my Large Egg when BGE was basically the only ceramic grill around. Primo was around at the time, but harder to find. Now with so many players in the ceramic bbq market, I think BGE has squandered its first mover advantage. KJ makes an excellent product, and they are committed to innovation. The Divide and Conquer is a great system that makes 2-zone cooking a piece of cake, and KJ was first out with the half-moon CI griddle, and now has a stainless steel griddle, a soapstone surface, and more to go with the D&C. I bought a D&C hoping it would fit in my Large, but unfortunately it's a bit too big. I know the Ceramic Grill Store sells great stuff that mostly does the job of the D&C system, but it is difficult to get it into Canada at reasonable cost. The only thing BGE has done about improving indirect cooking on the Egg is to give the plate setter the most stupid name imaginable (I can't even remember it, is it the Conveggtor?). BGE also doesn't help itself by rebranding mundane products like its charcoal and then charging a huge mark-up for it. BGE lump is among the most expensive in the stores and it's nothing special.

I love my Large Egg, but I really wish BGE had taken its market lead and continued to make real improvements to its products and accessories. It seems every week someone comes on the forum and asks what makes BGE so special (which I think means, why would anyone pay more for an Egg than another lifetime-guaranteed ceramic grill), and there are no convincing answers to that question.

The Joe Jr really hits a sweet spot in the market, and after talking with two different KJ reps at the Costco Roadshows, they are selling them like crazy.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I want a KJ jr if the road show ever comes here. Mom saw them once and then told the next day after they were gone.

A buddy has a big KJ, he bought the black one. A wind gust blew it over one day when he left the lid open and broke the dome. He called KJ and told them exactly what happened and asked how much a new lid would cost. They warranteed the lid and sent him a new one, but it was red. He called them up about the color and they said keep it until they got a black in Stock. Well, that was when they discontinued the black. A while later they sent him a new red bottom to match the red dome since there was no more black. He got used to the two tone so he left it. The red bottom is in storage. Sounds like a pretty good warranty. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    When the road show was near me, I spoke with the guy, If you come early on first day, they will give you the JR for free if you buy the Big KJ demo.  All you do is pay for it and come back at end of the last day and pick them.
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    kdink said:
    When the road show was near me, I spoke with the guy, If you come early on first day, they will give you the JR for free if you buy the Big KJ demo.  All you do is pay for it and come back at end of the last day and pick them.
    They never offered me that deal here in Canada. Their offer was a free 1/2 moon cast grill and 1/2 moon cast griddle
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    I picked up a Joe Jr. at the local Costco roadshow. Compared to a MM, it's just too good a deal, and it comes ready to cook with everything needed including a versatile indirect setup and a hinged 304 stainless grid. I bought my Large Egg when BGE was basically the only ceramic grill around. Primo was around at the time, but harder to find. Now with so many players in the ceramic bbq market, I think BGE has squandered its first mover advantage. KJ makes an excellent product, and they are committed to innovation. The Divide and Conquer is a great system that makes 2-zone cooking a piece of cake, and KJ was first out with the half-moon CI griddle, and now has a stainless steel griddle, a soapstone surface, and more to go with the D&C. I bought a D&C hoping it would fit in my Large, but unfortunately it's a bit too big. I know the Ceramic Grill Store sells great stuff that mostly does the job of the D&C system, but it is difficult to get it into Canada at reasonable cost. The only thing BGE has done about improving indirect cooking on the Egg is to give the plate setter the most stupid name imaginable (I can't even remember it, is it the Conveggtor?). BGE also doesn't help itself by rebranding mundane products like its charcoal and then charging a huge mark-up for it. BGE lump is among the most expensive in the stores and it's nothing special.

I love my Large Egg, but I really wish BGE had taken its market lead and continued to make real improvements to its products and accessories. It seems every week someone comes on the forum and asks what makes BGE so special (which I think means, why would anyone pay more for an Egg than another lifetime-guaranteed ceramic grill), and there are no convincing answers to that question.

The Joe Jr really hits a sweet spot in the market, and after talking with two different KJ reps at the Costco Roadshows, they are selling them like crazy.

My KJ Jr. is my most used cooker these days. Love that little thing and may buy another this summer.

I do wonder what staff meetings are like in BGE headquarters. Are they discussing product improvements? Do they have any teams working on new designs?

KJ has only been around for a decade  but really seems committed to improving their product. I know that they are working on cast iron fire boxes so they can try and eliminate what is likely the most replaced item under warranty. They have a new counter-balanced hinge in the works which will allow the dome to be opened with ease and the dome will stay at whatever position you leave it (even just a few inches open). They have a new design top vent which will eliminate the nuisance of the daisy wheel type that changes position when you open the dome and it will also have a "roof" so that rain can no longer enter thru the vent. We've all seen the Joetisserie.

We've also seen a bunch of newer entries coming into the US market. China makes a lot of kamados and it appears that there are a growing number of companies here that are bringing over containers of these and offering them at lower prices. Of course it is unclear how many of these newer companies will be around in 5 years.

It would be a shame for BGE to just be sitting around and relying on their name to carry them thru this period where interest in kamados seems to be growing.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Funny, I was tempted as well at the KJ Costco roadshow last year to get their small portable egg.   I resisted, thus far...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Thread sink................
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SkySaw said:

My KJ Jr. is my most used cooker these days. Love that little thing and may buy another this summer.

I do wonder what staff meetings are like in BGE headquarters. Are they discussing product improvements? Do they have any teams working on new designs?

KJ has only been around for a decade  but really seems committed to improving their product. I know that they are working on cast iron fire boxes so they can try and eliminate what is likely the most replaced item under warranty. They have a new counter-balanced hinge in the works which will allow the dome to be opened with ease and the dome will stay at whatever position you leave it (even just a few inches open). They have a new design top vent which will eliminate the nuisance of the daisy wheel type that changes position when you open the dome and it will also have a "roof" so that rain can no longer enter thru the vent. We've all seen the Joetisserie.

We've also seen a bunch of newer entries coming into the US market. China makes a lot of kamados and it appears that there are a growing number of companies here that are bringing over containers of these and offering them at lower prices. Of course it is unclear how many of these newer companies will be around in 5 years.

It would be a shame for BGE to just be sitting around and relying on their name to carry them thru this period where interest in kamados seems to be growing.
    Well that appears to be what's happening. Ed Fisher ain't on here bitching. I have a feeling they got comfortable. Or the torch was passed and it is what it is. But for how long? KJ only been around 10 years and I'm liking it. BGE still the 800 pound Gorilla. But to me KJ will "Smoke Em". My next purchase? Hmmm....got a feeling the writings on the wall and being sentimental won't erase it.  
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I'm 100% certain that BGE is still innovating.  Within the year we will see the XXXLarge, which comes with a trailer hitch accessory, and the MicroMini, designed to fit in overhead storage!

Sorry...couldn't resist.  :blush:

Loving my BGE and how solidly they stand behind their product.  I agree though, when our friends see how much we love the egg and start to shop, they all get sticker shock.  And the next conversation is always... "well, this one is half the price and seems just as solid."

If they didn't change anything but at least started including an accessory "credit" that would go a long way.  Give buyers a $150-$250 accessory credit, depending on size, they can use to outfit it how they want.  Most people need a stand, plate setter, and side tables, but folks who have their own tables will want different options.

$.02
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Thread sink................
    Ha!  You're right.  I just posted a reply but it no longer goes to the top of the list.  At least it isn't hidden.  Yet...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    They do appear very complacent and comfortable with there position. That is for sure. 
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Just got home from Costco.  2 bags of KJ lump for 29.99, case of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, case of Meiomi Pinot Noir and a new book.  Success!
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL