Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Burn troubles.....

Options
After two years of ownership, that nasty black goo buildup and the need to replace my gasket lead me to do my first clean burn last evening.  After doing ham steaks for supper I opened up the top and bottom and left it burn and do it's thing overnight.....problem this morning, all that goo melted around the gasket and now I can't open the lid....my question, how do I get the lid undone so I can replace the gasket and continue using my EGG?

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Start a fire or introduce heat through the bottom vent.  Your gasket is probably toast so you could just pry it open.  This is a very common occurrence.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Need to get the egg warm again.  Now likely all your lump is burned up.  So you can remove the daisy wheel or smokeware cap from the top.  Find a soup can that is small enough to be lowered into the top vent opening.  Get some lump started in the soup can and try to lower it in.  May need small diameter steel cable or steel fishing leader or something.  Maybe a metal clothes hanger.  Once that lump starts burning, it may warm up enough to "release."  You may have to try dropping more lump in the can from the top as well.  Is your grid still in the egg?  DO NOT TRY TO PRY THE LID OPEN WITH ANYTHING.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Get the egg out in the sun, it should warm up enough this afternoon that you can open it.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Just tug it open.   The gasket is shot and will peel right off.   Normal during clean burn.   
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Weed burner thru the intake....no weed burner how about a heat gun? Or the wifes blow dryer 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Weed burner thru the intake....no weed burner how about a heat gun? Or the wifes blow dryer 
    Have you ever used SWMBO's hair dryer? I would not be posting cause until the casts and splints on my fingers were removed.....

OP - rip it open, gasket is shot anyway and you will not hurt the ceramic. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!