Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

$150 bucks to spend on Egg related Father's Day gifts - suggestions requested

Texag06ish
Texag06ish Posts: 135
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum
I have some money to spend for Father's Day and I think I'm gonna buy some stuff for egging.

Here's what I have: 
XL BGE  
Pit Master IQ 110 
XL Adjustable Rig/Woo Combo 
MAAP Torch
Duck cover 
I've also funded the Kickstarter "Meater" project

I am leaning toward: 
KAB 
Thermopop 

So I have a little more than $50 more to spend...any suggestions? 

How about a smoke ware cap or a CGS Wok...

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I have to cast my vote for some meat. But that's the snob in me coming out ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    SRF for the win as mentioned by @SGH. Here you go-https://www.snakeriverfarms.com  Thank me later  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Texag06ish
    Meat is worked into the grocery budget! My parents just gave us a deep freezer...we've been stocking it up. Thanks for the suggestion brother.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006

Thermapen

Apollo Beach, FL
  • SGH
    Meat is worked into the grocery budget! My parents just gave us a deep freezer...we've been stocking it up. Thanks for the suggestion brother.
    With that said^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I would invest in some sort of a instant read thermometer.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Texag06ish
    SGH said:
    With that said^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I would invest in some sort of a instant read thermometer.  
    I could replace the thermapop with a thermapen...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    I would offer that the grocery budget likely did not plan for SRF -but you should give their briskets and steaks a go, at least once. FWIW-no affiliation here.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    I could replace the thermapop with a thermapen...
    The Thermapen is defiantly a good one. I have had one for several years and it has held up and served me very well. 

Status- Standing by.

• Texag06ish
    edited June 2016
    lousubcap said:
    I would offer that the grocery budget likely did not plan for SRF -but you should give their briskets and steaks a go, at least once. FWIW-no affiliation here.
    LOL. You're right on that...maybe I'll give them a shot but I think I can talk the wife into that the next time my folks visit us.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Smokeware cap is a nice luxury as well. 
  • Texag06ish
    edited June 2016
    I think I'm going...

KAB
    Thermapop
    Smokeware cap

Thanks guys!

I really enjoy the help of this forum.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Personally, Unless you are dead set on KAB, I would go Thermapen and Smokeware Cap.

KAB is awesome for large and smaller eggs, but the XL does not need it at all.  I have KABs in my medium and MM, but never saw the need for my XL.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Texag06ish
    Personally, Unless you are dead set on KAB, I would go Thermapen and Smokeware Cap.

KAB is awesome for large and smaller eggs, but the XL does not need it at all.  I have KABs in my medium and MM, but never saw the need for my XL.
    I'm hoping it'll take time out of the clean up process. I currently use a shop vac and scoop out the partially burned lump out by hand before vacuuming. 

I'm tired of black snot! 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942

I'm hoping it'll take time out of the clean up process. I currently use a shop vac and scoop out the partially burned lump out by hand before vacuuming. 

I'm tired of black snot! 
    With that method, then yes it will absolutely help.  I don't clean out my XL very often.  Before I do, I usually finish burning what lump is left.  My XL is a stir and light affair.

The XL can hold so much ash and still burn efficiently because of the size of the firebox.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Texag06ish
    I usually vacuum it out every other cook. My cooks are mostly low and slows. Thanks for the input. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125

I'm tired of black snot! 
    With that method, then yes it will absolutely help.  I don't clean out my XL very often.  Before I do, I usually finish burning what lump is left.  My XL is a stir and light affair.

The XL can hold so much ash and still burn efficiently because of the size of the firebox.
    I am in 100% full agreement with @Ozzie_Isaac on this one. You've got the Cadillac egg.  I clean the ash out once per 20lb bag. Rake and go. 

Also, you will not regret buying a Thermopen over the Pop. You feel like a sucker when you drop almost a C Note on a thermometer but you quickly forget how much it costs because it's that good of a tool. I doubt you find many people on here that regret getting the Thermopen. The Pen will help you be a better cook, the KAB won't. 
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    DoubleEgger nailed it.  At the end of the day, no matter how you cook it, if it's not pulled at the right temp.....
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Texag06ish
    What's the big difference between the pen and pop? 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited June 2016
    Speed. also, the pen is easier to put in your pocket without stabbing yourself in the leg. You don't have to keep up what that plastic sleeve on the Pop either. 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Big fan of the MK4. Speed to measure is the biggest selling point - makes a good bit of difference when you have your hand over direct heat with a dome temp of 600+. 

I'd drop the C note all over again - it's that good of an investment. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Apply it toward a minimax....
  • Casting my vote for the thermapen. I started out with super-fast pocket RT600C. Still love it and use it but the backlight on the thermapen has been extremely useful. 
  • Fayborg
    Fayborg Posts: 82
    I'm fairly new to Egging.  I'm still trying to decide on what I need or like to have.  I think Ozzie is right on also.  I owned a Mk4 before I owned the egg.  It is a great product and worth it.  When I bought my egg I purchased the Smokeware cap then also.  So simple to use.  Granted I have no experience using the daisy wheel.  But I think Eggs should come with the Someware cap or similar type.  Plus it makes the Egg look nice in my opinion.   
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    edited June 2016
    https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Accurate-High-Performing-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B00GRFHVXQ/ref=sr_1_7?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1466516096&sr=1-7&keywords=thermometer+digital

This thing is awesome and saves you money. I've never used it and thought, "I wish this read faster. I wish I had a thermopen/pop instead." It's just been a great product.

Get the KAB and the smokeware CAP AND this. Save some dough.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg