Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide questions

blind99
blind99 Posts: 4,971
I'm considering pulling the trigger on a SV. Two questions:

how much volume can one of these home units like an anova handle? Like, could it circulate enough water to do 8-10 steaks at a time if I used a larger container like a cooler and started with preheated water?

and, any thoughts on the joule unit coming from chefsteps? 

Thanks in advance 
Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Brother, the Anova can do it.  When I have a bunch of protein I start with warm water.  I use a cooler for my water bath.  Too stupid to comment on the joule unit.  Chefsteps is a great resource!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NERVOUS
    NERVOUS Posts: 104
    I believe the Anova Precision Cooker I have is limited to a volume of ~5 gallons, but I'd have to look it up to be certain.  Whatever the case may be, you'll be able to do 8-10 steaks no problem, assuming you have the appropriate equipment (i.e. water bath, rack, etc).
    Jeremiah  |  La Canada Flintridge, CA  |  XL BGE
    "Life is about experiences...  And one of my absolute favorite experiences is FOOD!"
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The volume limit is probably based on maintaining 180F (about the highest you'll ever go with SV, and that's the pectin breakdown temp for veggies) in an uninsulated container. 

Typically you're in the 130-148F range, and if you use an insulated cooler (and float some bubble wrap on top), you'll have no problem heating up 50 quarts.

Hot tubing steaks - I do around 110F and you could probably keep a 100 qt cooler at that temp and serve enough steaks for a small army.

The watts of power is what matters, and I think the Anova has 1100, which is plenty.  And that compares to the more expensive PolyScience.

Start out with hot water if you're in a hurry, but it'll get there with cold water, eventually.
    I believe the 5 gallon comment is correct. That of course depends on the temp. I just tried "boiled peanuts" at ~190 for 2 days and struggled to maintain temp for the cook in a 5 gallon stainless pot. It did stay at 180+ though. We'll see about the longevity of the anova after that :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    havent had mine for long but there would be no problems doing that with steak in a big cooler, its fast enough that i wouldnt bother with startingwith hot water either. did a big flank last weekend, best ive ever done, perfect med to med/rare, tender as could be 120 for 3.5 hours then sear
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    The current anova is 800 watts. The amount of water you can keep at any given temp is all about heat loss.  I have seen people post about using 25 gallon middle to end coolers with a single anova, no problem. 
  • blind99
    Excellent, thanks for all the advice.  

Looks like the Joule has no display or controls on the unit - has to be run from the phone.  I'll pass on that one for now.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    According to their website, it's 5 gallon max. For the last year I've used a 12 qt cambro with my Anova, but I need to get a larger one for more volume. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • The volume limit is probably based on maintaining 180F (about the highest you'll ever go with SV, and that's the pectin breakdown temp for veggies) in an uninsulated container. 

Typically you're in the 130-148F range, and if you use an insulated cooler (and float some bubble wrap on top), you'll have no problem heating up 50 quarts.

Hot tubing steaks - I do around 110F and you could probably keep a 100 qt cooler at that temp and serve enough steaks for a small army.

The watts of power is what matters, and I think the Anova has 1100, which is plenty.  And that compares to the more expensive PolyScience.

Start out with hot water if you're in a hurry, but it'll get there with cold water, eventually.
    Agreed- I ran a catering with one Gen 1 annova, a 100 quart marine cooler and 120# of pulled pork in vac bags. Kept them over 140 all night with no problem. had to turn it down after a few hours. I did start with hot water but we were in a big hurry to warm the meat. The steam pouring off that huge cooler all night was impressive. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    edited June 2017
    Question for you all.  

I have a 120 quart cooler that I've created a lid using left over foam boards.  Double layered.  See below.

We have graduation party coming up this weekend.  I've got 24 lbs of pulled chicken and 33 lbs of pulled pork prepared.  All are vacuum packed in a 3 lbs bags portions.

I have an 800 watt anova sous vide (blue tooth).  I was thinking of using just one but I'm afraid that it may not be enough and am thinking of getting another one.  Just to be on safe side.

What your opinion on this?  And should I create some vent holes at some spots?

And when do I start?  I was thinking starting early in the a.m. like 6 at 155 temp.  The party starts around 1 that afternoon.

Thanks.

EDIT -- Reread some of the post above.  25 gallon is no problem.  I have 120 qt cooler = 30 gallons.  I should be ok?  Some reassurance please!
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    You should be fine! Let her rip!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Don't make vent holes. How thick are the bags? I doubt you will need 7 hours if you are just re-heating. Or are you cooking whole cuts for pulling?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dfrelich
    edited June 2017
    The 3 lbs bags are around 2 inches at most. Yes reheating.  I'll be coming from another event. So the best I can do is to make em ahead. 

Ill be dropping cold bags into the cooler. So 6 to start heating and drop in bags around 7 or so?
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @dfrelich - I'm thinking 4 hours max to re-heat at 2 inches thick, and that would be from frozen, provided you have water flow between the bags. I'm sure you could extrapolate timing from the information here:

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blind99
    Looking forward to see how this works. If the meat is all frozen I'd try to get it in the fridge now so it can start closer to 32 degrees, and I'd start the water even hotter. I've never done that quantity though so I'm just guessing. .. I bet it works
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    We have some seriously evil geniuses on this forum in a great way!  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dfrelich
    @DMW.  Thanks for the link. 

All else.  Thanks for tips and reassurances.   I think I'll buy one more circulator and have it on hand ready. Can always return it if I do not use it.

155 good?  Or should 145?
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • zman51
    zman51 Posts: 133
    I am planning on doing a 5 gal homebrew IPA this weekend. On home-brews you typically bring water to a set temp (important) and I think the SV will work better then trying to control temp with propane burner. Worth a try anyway :) I can always fire the burner if needed.
    Central Florida
  • blind99
    @dfrelich my goal would be to bring it to a temp over 140 fairly quickly, i.e. Less than 3 hrs.  I like the final temp of 155

an hour or so in you may want to take each bag and squish it around a bit so that the frozen centers get redistributed closer to the outside
  • dfrelich
    So it came and went.

It didn't get to 155 as I hoping for when it was time to start serving.  Temp was around 145's at 1 p.m. when it was time.   I started the process late.  Was hoping for 150 water temp before throwing in bags at 6 a.m. but I started around 8 a.m.   And I did drain some "warm" water with more hot water along the first few hours before running to the event prior to the party.

Nevertheless, 140's is a safe temp.  So I was okay serving the meat.  We've gotten many compliments.  Some say they want to buy the egg.  

FYI -- The whole budget was under $180 for both chicken and pork.  The host (3 families) were happy with how much saving we made.   

X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD