Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for any heating and air folks!!!

Options
I love my new Nest thermo for the house, but tonight it just saved me a lot of $$$. 

Got it a notification from the Nest that it was time to change my filter. Crap!  It's been in the 90's here in Atlanta. I go into the attic and it's COOL up there. Wait, it's not supposed to be cool in the attic. A strap had broken causing a main supply duct to come dislodged, and dumping cold air into the attic  

My question, after I resecure my duct, can I add insulation to the plenum?  It felt cool to the touch on the opposite side of the leak. I'm thinking that adding insulation might help retain conditioned air. I'm thinking about some of the fiber sheets that are about 1" thick all the way around. 

So so heating and air folks, does that sound like a viable thing to do?

System is 25 yrs old and will be replaced in 1-2 years. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL
    Brother Husker is one of the resident experts on this subject. Bet he can put you on the right path. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Just did some further investigation and all my supplies are slipping and the plenum seal to the air handler is roached out from years in the attic. 

Time me to bust out the checkbook and have the whole thing re-done I fear!!!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    If your plenum isn't in the conditioned space, and it doesn't sound like it is, then it should have duct insulation on it.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Nope. Guess that wasn't code back in the early 90's when it was put in!  Damn think is leaking air from all over the place. I've got to get a crapton of mastic and start sealing the entire thing first, then I'll have to insulate the box. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sure, it will help by adding more insulation, but not as much as you think.  If you're getting condensation on the duct board, or metal ducting, that can cause problems.  You don't want water corroding metal duct or dripping into attic insulation.

The inch or so of insulation it (should) have is going to do it's job.  Air moves through the ducting so fast it's not a big vector to inefficiency. 

What makes a bigger difference is your attic ventilation and ceiling insulation.

That said, it's not a bad idea if you notice the outside of the duct is cool.

I replaced all my ducting in the attic about a year ago.
    Options
    leaks are the worst