Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planked Salmon

Options
tgs2401
tgs2401 Posts: 423
edited June 2016 in Seafood
one of my healthier favorites
One large BGE in Louisville, KY.

Comments

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    One of my favs, nice cook!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Yes!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Love planked salmon! 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Love this too.  Nice meal brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    We had salmon as well. Love it. Great cook!
    Las Vegas, NV

• jakebge
    jakebge Posts: 79
    Options
    Looks great.  I can't tell, did you leave the skin on with the plank?

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Beautiful cook! 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tgs2401
    Options
    jakebge said:
    Looks great.  I can't tell, did you leave the skin on with the plank?

Yep, heated the plank 3 minutes then flipped it and put the salmon skin down on it for about 20 minutes. It's pretty easy to lift the salmon off the plank leaving the skin behind using a spatula. My butcher tells me you want to cook it with the skin on as that is where the healthy oils and minerals reside and they transfer to the meat while cooking. Internal temperature of 125 degrees is just right, meat is done and flaky.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    A true egg classic. A great one at that. Nice!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Real nice!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • fzman
    fzman Posts: 1
    Options
    I did my first salmon on a plank Monday night.  I used the plate setter in my small BGE.  I am amazed at how great everything tastes cooked in it.  I was a little worried about what I had done when I was waiting for it to be delivered, but I am unbeliveably happy with it.
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Dumb newbie question - has anyone tried it on the plank skin side up?  Wondering if that would add a bit more cedar flavor and keep the salmon moister?
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    edited June 2016
    Options
    da87 said:
    Dumb newbie question - has anyone tried it on the plank skin side up?  Wondering if that would add a bit more cedar flavor and keep the salmon moister?
    @da87 I would imagine the meat would stick to the board that way.  Also, you would prolly have the opposite effect in terms of moisture.  The healthy fat from the salmon surfaces itself while it cooks... so if you go skin side up and meat side down, you're going to lose that fat and moisture into the cedar plank.  The skin is the protective layer between the meat and the board. If you are looking for extra moisture, you could always add a layer of sliced fruit on top of the salmon. 
  • tgs2401
    Options
    fzman said:
    I did my first salmon on a plank Monday night.  I used the plate setter in my small BGE.  I am amazed at how great everything tastes cooked in it.  I was a little worried about what I had done when I was waiting for it to be delivered, but I am unbeliveably happy with it.
    @fzman, no need for the platesetter as the cedar plank acts as a buffer for the heat plus the plank may not smoke if its not getting hit with the direct heat. Sounds like it was good your way so go with whatever works, but you might try it next time.
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    slightly spinning this thread in a different direction:  Do you think that using a cedar plank makes a big difference, or is it more the effect of the style of cooking fish on a soaked wood plank?  This is a general question about planking...not specific to plank-in-egg.  My favorite catch-and-eat fishing season is here now on the Chesapeake, and I've been thinking of all the ways I can use my egg for the striped bass, bluefish, spanish mackeral and (maybe) flounder I hope I will be bringing home for the next 3 or 4 months.  I'm wondering if cedar planks (about $1 to $2 per plank) should be on my list?
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @Abter  You may want to try Alder chips for smoke.  They are widely available and many will find the flavor superior to cedar smoke.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @Abter, I'm a huge fan of the cedar plank with salmon. I'm not sure how I would like it with others. The fatty salmon pairs perfectly IMO. @jtcBoynton correctly pints out the Alder is the more traditional version and preferred by many. I happen to like the cedar far better. It is personal preference. That said, Alder planks are also available. At our Eggfest this past weekend a couple did cedar planked salmon and soaked the plank in red wine the night prior. Yum!