Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone own a tilley hat?

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
Purchased my first Tilley hat today. I picked-up the ltm6 airflo in olive drab color

going to break it in this weekend
Boom

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sadly I can not afford one due to the last 7 years of being taxed to death. If Trump wins, I will buy 10 of them to celebrate. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    If I had Rons money I would buy everyone on the forum one =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    have 3, and they replace them for free when needed =) they have even replaced one lost at sea for half price, great company
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @travisstrick prosyletizes for Tilley. I'm going to get one now that I'm allergic to the sun.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I have one I received as a gift (@SGH I'm broke too). I enjoy it a great deal - but in all honesty it's just a hat.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I have one I received as a gift (@SGH I'm broke too). I enjoy it a great deal - but in all honesty it's just a hat.
    its just a hat they replace for free for life, i rot thru hats every other year on the boat, one call and they send me a new one
    fukahwee maine

• SGH
    Options
     I'm going to get one now that I'm allergic to the sun.
    No so long ago, I didn't know that this was real (being allergic to the sun). About 5 years ago I was working with a young man who said that he was allergic to the sun. I thought that he was just making a joke. Sadly he wasn't. He would breakout with what looked like chicken poxs if he got to much sun. Up to then I would not have thought it possible to be allergic to the sun. Any idea as to what causes someone to become allergic to sunlight?

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Brother I'm really broke. Notice that I don't post cooks anymore. Can't afford to. Due to Obingo I'm completely destitute. 

Status- Standing by.

• fishlessman
    Options
    SGH said:
    No so long ago, I didn't know that this was real (being allergic to the sun). About 5 years ago I was working with a young man who said that he was allergic to the sun. I thought that he was just making a joke. Sadly he wasn't. He would breakout with what looked like chicken poxs if he got to much sun. Up to then I would not have thought it possible to be allergic to the sun. Any idea as to what causes someone to become allergic to sunlight?
    i know two allergic to the sun, both became allergic to shellfish later on as well, not good
    fukahwee maine

• SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    i know two allergic to the sun, both became allergic to shellfish later on as well, not good
    Brother Less, I now know that it is real. That young man would breakout in terrible sores. I truly felt sorry for him. 

Status- Standing by.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    its just a hat they replace for free for life, i rot thru hats every other year on the boat, one call and they send me a new one
    I will admit mine isn't subjected to that environment. It is a great warranty and there is a bit of cool factor to owning one. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    SGH said:
    SciAggie said:
    Brother I'm really broke. Notice that I don't post cooks anymore. Can't afford to. Due to Obingo I'm completely destitute. 
    I thought it was because you didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.  

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    SGH said:
     Between me and my wife we make over 300,000 a year and own two homes. Not to bad
    seems you were doing ok in 2014.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    They may be just a hat, but they are an $80+ hat.  One question for all you Tilley-crats out there.  How well do they take to being scrunched up?  Given the way I fish on the Chesapeake (run-and-gun style) I have to switch hats during the day, and both of my hats end up in the bag some of the day.  Are the big brimmed Tilley's OK for that?
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • SGH
    Options

Darby there is some truth in that. But let me explain. I was living off of money that I amassed during the Glory Days of Big Ron. However the tax and spend policies of the last 7 years have all but taken its toll on what I once had. I now find myself almost destitute. Kind of sad really. I have spent my life working extremely long hours away from family to ultimately end up broke. The American liberal dream. Ain't it great? 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Allergic to the sun - isn't that called a vampire?
    Options
    Abter said:
    They may be just a hat, but they are an $80+ hat.  One question for all you Tilley-crats out there.  How well do they take to being scrunched up?  Given the way I fish on the Chesapeake (run-and-gun style) I have to switch hats during the day, and both of my hats end up in the bag some of the day.  Are the big brimmed Tilley's OK for that?
    MINE GETS SCRUNCHED BUT I USUALLY SCRUNCH IT FLAT, THE BRIM IS SOFT AND THEY SELL SOME MORE SCRUNCHABLE THAN OTHERS, I SOAK MINE IN SALT OR FRESH WATER AND WEAR IT WET ON HOT DAYS DUNKING IT OFTEN, THEY FLOAT, looked up and see all caps =)  they also come with a reverse strap to keep it on your head from winds coming beyond you. i like the duck cotton hats, the waxed is ok in the fall but too hot when its hot, the hemp is too light, the brim on those flop in the wind. if your on the water you need a dark underbrim, you dont want a white underbrimm as it reflects to much. the second backstrap is really a great feature on windy days, ive lost alot of hats before these in the wind with sinking
    fukahwee maine

• Captain_Paul
    Captain_Paul Posts: 138
    Options
    Have the same one. Love it. Great sun protection and floats. I've kind of wadded it up and seems no worse for the wear. Whenever I see someone wearing one I always comment "nice Tilley" and they always say how much they love it. Never heard anyone say they regret it. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    SGH said:

Darby there is some truth in that. But let me explain. I was living off of money that I amassed during the Glory Days of Big Ron. However the tax and spend policies of the last 7 years have all but taken its toll on what I once had. I now find myself almost destitute. Kind of sad really. I have spent my life working extremely long hours away from family to ultimately end up broke. The American liberal dream. Ain't it great? 
    well.  if you made that money before O'bummer, then it was already taxed right?  so you aren't paying taxes on already taxed income. 

but i'm confused, you said you were making 300,000 in 2014.  well after ronnie. five years into O'buttmunch, actually. 

but i would imagine you have saved a lot in your 89 years on the planet, or whatever age it was you said you were .

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    SGH said:

well.  if you made that money before O'bummer, then it was already taxed right?  so you aren't paying taxes on already taxed income. 

but i'm confused, you said you were making 300,000 in 2014.  well after ronnie. five years into O'buttmunch, actually. 

but i would imagine you have saved a lot in your 89 years on the planet, or whatever age it was you said you were .

Gosh you and your logic.  It's almost like you aren't waiting your turn to take a ride on unit #9.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Got two. Best hat I have ever used. Perfect for so many functions. Very durable. Recommend the purchase.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i don't like the sound of riding on another man's unit.

not that there's anything wrong with that. (lookin at you, @zippylip)

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    @sgh it's called polymorphic light eruption or solar urticaria. Probably genetics for me, since my mom used to have it. It can be transient and last days, weeks, months or years. I break out in hives and have to take a Claritin daily to keep it at bay. I used to only get it on my chest and back(t-shirt covered areas) when going to the beach, so I thought it was possibly a sunscreen allergy. Started last year on my arms after being in the garden for a couple of hours during the spring. This year, it happens within 5 minutes of getting direct sunlight, so I often break out on my way into work if I have have the window down and my arm is out of the window. It occurs mostly in Caucasian people. I have to wear sun shirts to the pool, good times!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    zippy still identifies with a man?
    Options
    I just got the REI brand/version of one. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @stompbox is it a rebranded Tilley? I have some dividends to spend...
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    This thread is all over the place. That is all. 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Abter said:
    I have two Tilleys. Bagged one of my Tilleys and left it scrunched up for a day or two, causing the metal band in the brim's edge to deform/kink. This added some character to the hat but I didn't like it so I asked them to repair or replace it. They replaced it! Best hats I've ever owned.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    @stompbox is it a rebranded Tilley? I have some dividends to spend...

I got this: https://www.rei.com/product/847874/rei-paddlers-hat

They also sell Tilley if you have that much dividends.