Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not "The Best" Chicken Marinade

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

The other day @jollygreenegg mentioned a beer marinade for chicken

http://addapinch.com/best-grilled-chicken-marinade-recipe/

When I see some blogger say that their whatever is the "best" I usually roll my eyes and move on. Something about using the words "the best" just gets to me. I've never used them. But a few nights later, I was looking for a marinade for chicken and it popped up again. It was late, I wasn't going to the store, and I happened to have all the ingredients on hand, so why not?

Used Tecate for the beer cuz it was on hand, somebody left it in my fridge and the recipe didn't specify a beer. Swapped out the onion for red onion and the parsley for Italian parsley...again what was on hand and I wasn't going to the store. Doubled the garlic and cayenne pepper and because it wasn't hot enough added in some hot sauce.

450 raised direct with peach wod

The recipe didn't say too, but I reserved about a cup of the marinade and started basting when it was almost done.

Turned out pretty good. Wasn't "the best" as the original blogger said, but tasty. I'd still tweak it a bit, but it has real potential

Now on a side note. I know that people get rocks and or concrete in their lump. I understand it happens. Part of the process, but check this out.

Don't know why this picture is flipped. It wasn't on my computer when I uploaded it.

That's a 1.8lb hunk of concrete!! My math might be wrong, but that's 9% of a 20 lb bag of lump. Anybody wanna take a guess at what brand it was?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    bookmarked. That concrete looks like a failed brisket attempt.  :o

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Chicken looks good. The concrete chunk is unreal. I'm going to take a stab at brand and say RO
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Griffin
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Chicken looks good. The concrete chunk is unreal. I'm going to take a stab at brand and say RO

Royal Oak? Nope

Rowlett, Texas

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    How much dod the bag originally weigh?

i have yet to find a bag that wasnt overfilled
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Is that ROCKwood??

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Griffin
    Options
    How much dod the bag originally weigh?

i have yet to find a bag that wasnt overfilled

Didn't weigh it. My bad. Never thought about it.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    bud812 said:
    Is that ROCKwood??

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner.

Rowlett, Texas

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Nice drums Griff!  Here's the biggest stowaway I've had in a while.  It tumbled out of a bag of RO last weekend and was just over 1/2 pound.  I've been lucky when it comes to stowaways.

Flint, Michigan
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I had one about that size in a bag of Rockwood.......emailed a picture of it to their customer service email address.  Less than a week later I received a package from them with a check for the cost of a new bag, a Rockwood t-shirt and 3 bumper stickers.  That's how you keep customers around for life!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Griffin said:
    bud812 said:
    Is that ROCKwood??

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner.
    Dang.  You have passed my 1 pound 3.2 ouncer.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Griffin
    Options
    I had one about that size in a bag of Rockwood.......emailed a picture of it to their customer service email address.  Less than a week later I received a package from them with a check for the cost of a new bag, a Rockwood t-shirt and 3 bumper stickers.  That's how you keep customers around for life!

Yeah, I e-mailed them. Didn't see a way to include a picture, but told them I had some. We'll see what they say.

Rowlett, Texas

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    For those fretting over rocks, weighing, and taking pics, sending them to a charcoal Co's CS.....in well over a decade of burning many bags of Kingsford, I have yet to find a pebble, or any type of foreign debris.  =)

Chicken looks tasty grif.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Focker said:
    For those fretting over rocks, weighing, and taking pics, sending them to a charcoal Co's CS.....in well over a decade of burning many bags of Kingsford, I have yet to find a pebble, or any type of foreign debris.  =)

Chicken looks tasty grif.
    The kingsford in itself is foreign debris.   ;)
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Nice looking chicken, Griffin!  
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    I found a pebble about the size of my thumbnail today in a bag of Royal Oak. I added it to the driveway. 

Nice looking yardbird!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If I recall, Jonathon said that they overfill Rockwood bags for instances like this since these variables are nearly impossible to control. I think they overfill by 1.5 to 2 lbs. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    As far as I can tell (and I re-read your OP twice) you changed every single thing in the recipe.  There's nothing wrong with that, but you can't judge the recipe with so many modifications.  :tongue:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Nothing better than chicken on the egg. Your cook gets 5 Stars. Rocks in bags of lump? Wow. I have a pile of stuff I have collected from RW RO WG CDS BGE and others. Strangest thing was coiled metal line used in radials.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Griffin
    Options
    If I recall, Jonathon said that they overfill Rockwood bags for instances like this since these variables are nearly impossible to control. I think they overfill by 1.5 to 2 lbs. 

.4 to .6lbs from his email yesterday.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    Botch said:
    As far as I can tell (and I re-read your OP twice) you changed every single thing in the recipe.  There's nothing wrong with that, but you can't judge the recipe with so many modifications.  :tongue:

LOL, your right. But I kept the oil, beer amount (she never specified what beer), salt, pepper, paprika and cumin the same.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Nothing better than chicken on the egg. Your cook gets 5 Stars. Rocks in bags of lump? Wow. I have a pile of stuff I have collected from RW RO WG CDS BGE and others. Strangest thing was coiled metal line used in radials.

I've had a hunk of plastic that melted all over the place and a piece of lump that had something blue-ish growing on it that looked like fur. I was afraid to touch that.

Rowlett, Texas