Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverese Sear Question

Options
CraftBeernBBQ
CraftBeernBBQ Posts: 65
Going to do some reverse sear Rib-Eyes tonight, was curious how long it usually takes to get the steaks to a temp of 115.

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    How thick?

Usually in the 30 min +/- range IIRC.

I've been Sous Vide mine lately.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • CraftBeernBBQ
    Options
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Depends on your cooking temp, (225 - 350 or so is the norm), steak thickness, and meat temp when you put it on (straight from fridge vs. from the counter at room temperature).

A very thick, cold steak can take an hour at 225.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CraftBeernBBQ
    Options

These are about and inch think gonna go 250-275 indirect till 115 than 600 for 60sec per side.

Does this sound about right?

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I just did some 1.5 inch rib eyes. At 270 it took about 40 minutes to get to 110IT. The 550 sear for a minute per side.  

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• CraftBeernBBQ
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    I just did some 1.5 inch rib eyes. At 270 it took about 40 minutes to get to 110IT. The 550 sear for a minute per side.  

Lid closed on the sear right
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    dldawes1 said:

Lid closed on the sear right
    Yes.  Enjoy!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I've started searing with the lid open.  It cuts down on the internal roasting a bit.
    NOLA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I've started searing with the lid open.  It cuts down on the internal roasting a bit.
    Just be prepared for some good flames with this method.  They all work.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga