Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First reverse sear attempt - Ribeye steaks

Options
NERVOUS
NERVOUS Posts: 104
edited May 2016 in EggHead Forum
Bought some thick-cut ribeyes today with the intent of giving the reverse sear process a try.

Setup BGE for indirect cooking...  ConvEGGtor (legs up), drip tray, grill.  Setup DigiQ for a cooking temp of 225 degrees and a food temp of 115 degrees.

Got a cast iron pan ready for the searing process while I waited for the steaks to reach their target temp.

After pulling the steaks I removed the grill and ConvEGGtor then put the cast iron pan directly on the coals.  I also opened the bottom vent fully (with the screen closed) and took the daisy wheel off.  Interestingly enough, this is the first time I was appreciative of the extra room the XL has over the Large.  It was nice to have enough space to set the cast iron pan directly on the coals, with plenty of room to spare I might add.

When the dome thermometer reached 650 degrees I seared the steaks for ~50 seconds (per side).

The end result...  A perfect medium rare from edge to edge - AMAZING!
NOTE:  This steak is almost 2" thick...  Try doing that with a regular sear!

Jeremiah  |  La Canada Flintridge, CA  |  XL BGE
"Life is about experiences...  And one of my absolute favorite experiences is FOOD!"

Comments