Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am VERY new and would like some tips and easier recipes to smoke

Options

Comments

• BigBlackV
    BigBlackV Posts: 59
    Options
    So it's a 8.5lb butt and I used Webber kc rub I got from SAMs club. How long do I let the new coal burn before I put the setter down? Till the white smoke is gone? 
  • BigBlackV
    Options
    Ok nevermind the above I am trying to get the temp down before I put on the meat 
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think you just want the charcoal burning enough so much it's not going to go out easily. Then put the platesetter in and try to find your target temperature.

*edit and then wait for clear blue smoke.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • BigBlackV
    Options
    It's at about 250 now and has been for the past 30 min so I think I'm good. Meat is on and drip pan is in place. 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    I'd stick with a temp around 250, IMO it's easier to maintain with little worry of the temp dropping or fire going out.
    Or even higher. My large likes 275
    Pics, Pics, Pics and good luck  250-275 works fine and as said much easier to maintain.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Glad you went with a butt. 

Once it is done you may want to pull and sauce it. Personally I love a mustard/vinegar sauce, not sure if it is traditional North or South Carolina (it sure isn't Canadian but it's good) but google it and it's awesome mixed in with the pulled pork. It will be great without or some store bought sauce too but maybe something to think about for the next time or to google while you wait. 

How are you going to serve?  For me pulled pork with a nice sauce on fresh buns is damn hard to beat. 

And pictures!!!
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • BigBlackV
    Options
    The temp went down to about 200 about an hour ago so I got it back up and now it's at about 275-280. I haven't opened it up since I started but I peeked through the top. I have the bottom open about an inch and the top vent about half way. It smells damn good but idk when it's OK to open it up. 

I have a R sweet baby rays I got from SAMs club and I'm honestly not sure what ill have with it maybe I'll have the wife make her Mac and cheese and get some beans at the store. 

Any tips or suggestions on checking it, when? It's been about 5.5 hours 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Just open, check for easy probe, loose bone etc and close. Nothing wrong with checking, just don't do it every 15 mins. If you think it isn't going fast enough, wrap with foil. After 5.5 hrs you have lots of smoke. Foil will soften the bark but will also get it done if it's going too slow for you. 
    Do you have a thermometer?  Buy a good quick one, it is a good investment. Lots of us swear by Thermopens but there are others. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    You are done when you can pull out the bone with no resistance or you probe it and it feels like "buttah" - which is typically at a meat temp somewhere north of 190 (up to 208 or so).  When to start checking is a good question.  I'd start when you hit the 1 hour per pound mark.  If you get short on time you can always bump up the temp and/or wrap it in foil.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• BigBlackV
    Options
    I have a cheaper meat thermometer so I'll check it in a couple hours. The bone is in the middle and the meat looks good from the top. Will wrapping it in foil make it cook faster? Will it make the meat less tender than not in foil? It's at about 290 degrees now 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    http://lowslowbbq.com  Read low and slow, it is great. They start you off doing whole chickens, helps you learn your equipment and about spices and marinades, and if you mess it up its only 4-7dollars depending on how big.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • BigBlackV
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    http://lowslowbbq.com  Read low and slow, it is great. They start you off doing whole chickens, helps you learn your equipment and about spices and marinades, and if you mess it up its only 4-7dollars depending on how big.
    8.5lb pork butt was $19 but yea I'll check out that link thanks. 
  • BigBlackV
    Options
    It's at 160 degrees and looks good and it's at the 7 hour mark and the bone doesn't move much 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    It's not going to break loose till 190-205. Expect it to sit at 160 for a looong time before it takes off again. You can fool to speed up the process as long as you are happy with the bark you have now. 
  • BigBlackV
    Options
    It's now at 175 degrees so I'm thinking is had another hour left. It's looking good and it's at 290 degrees and has been for the past couple hours. Bone moves a little and the thermometer had some resistance going in so it def needs more time. I used about 4-5 Apple chunks also 
  • BigBlackV
    Options
    Butt came out awesome and as said the bone came out clean. will eat it tonight and for lunch as t was done at about 10pm. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Looks good.  Glad it worked out for you.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• BigBlackV
    Options
    Ok so this time I got a boneless pork butt close to 6lbs. I know it's at 225 however for how long? Same as bone in pork butt? Gonna do this a bit earlier this time haha 
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    They usually cook a bit faster, but for planning purposes use the same timing. Depending on how it is cut, I will often use butcher string on a boneless to help promote even cooking.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• BigBlackV
    edited May 2016
    Options

I I got the dizzy dust as recommended and I tied it up with string 2 wide and 1 long. Temp is at about 300 gonna get it down to like 250 before it goes on. 

Im thinking 225 for just about 7 hours call it 1 1/4 hour per pound...
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Good start today. Dinner may be a bit earlier than last time.   =)
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• BigBlackV
    Options
    Yea that was my first time but this time I have company coming at 3pm so I want it ready lol 
  • BigBlackV
    Options
    Got another bone in 8lb butt that I'm gonna do overnight.
    im thinking 250 degrees for 1.5 hours per pound......
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Google Memphis dust - time to make your own rub and own the meal!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • BigBlackV
    Options
    Half way done maybe more on for 8 hours  
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    looking good
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• tikigriller
    Options
    This thread is exactly what I needed.  Doing my first butt this weekend.  Will start cooking at 5 am before heading to the golf course.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Ready to go. At that weight, you would start cooking at what time to eat at 5?
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • BigBlackV
    Options
    Doing another butt today this one smaller at 8lbs . Gonna put a cheap stout in the pan today and start the butt at 11-12 tonight. Got some new rubs over the past couple months. 
  • BigBlackV
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Ok so it’s been a while guys sorry. Got a new butt it’s just only 9lbs bone in. 1.5 hours per pound till what temp inside or till the bone just moves freely..? 

Any new tips?