Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chef Alarm: Where to place in Egg?

Options
So I up'd my game last week and bought two chef alarms. I have a shoulder I am doing this weekend but thought I would do a test run tonight on a spatchcock chicken. So I placed the grill temp gauge in the back left corner. The Egg gauge says 300 and the chef alarm says 369. So before I go spending all weekend trying to break the code with a 12 hour piece of meat and drive myself crazy, where do y'all typically place it for the best overall reading? (I put it there because that tends to be the warmest spot, hence the dark meat chillin in the back)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I don't think it really matters, but the back will be hottest usually.  I usually put it on one of the sides and get it as close to the middle as possible.
    Phoenix 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I don't use leave-in pit thermos for direct or raised direct, only indirect. For indirect, put it in the "shade" of the plate setter or other indirect piece. You don't want to expose them to the IR of the burning lump.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    What @DMW said.  And not too close to the cold piece of meat.  It is difficult to find a good location on a crowded grid.  I think dome temps are more consistent. Try replacing your dome thermometer with the remote probe or attach it to the dome thermometer's probe.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.