Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second Rotisserie Spin with the Joetisserie

Last week I purchased my latest, favorite accessory for the Big Green Egg, the Kamado Joe Joetisserie. The Joetisserie is the perfect rotisserie to use for an 18 inch ceramic grill. In my case, I have a large Big Green Egg.

For my second spin, I decided to make beef kabobs, as compared to the amazing Joetisserie chicken that I made during my first spin.

As I was fondly reminiscing about my rotisserie chicken, I really wanted to try beef kabobs. After a quick on-line search, I couldn’t find an article about how to make beef kabobs using the Joetisserie, so I decided to write one.

The first thing I needed to decide was do I want to buy a rotisserie kabob wheel or simply go with a flat grilling basket? Due to the amazing low price of $7.99, I opted to go for the flat grilling basket which I picked up at a local hardware store.

For my beef, I was at Costco and picked up some top sirloin, fresh onions, cherry tomatoes and a package of mixed peppers. By the way, if you have a Costco near you, I do find their meat selection is spectacular, especially if you have a large cook or grill ahead of you.

For my setup on the Big Green Egg, I filled up the firebox half way with previously used and new Cowboy lump charcoal. Once my charcoal was lit with my Electrolight Torch, I set my temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit using my DigiQ DX2.

While my Big Green Egg was warming up, we readied the beef by quartering in to bite size pieces. Once we applied extra olive oil to the beef, we used the Pork Barrel BBQ rub, which tastes great on poultry, pork, beef, seafood and vegetables.

Once the beef rub was applied, we placed the beef on the metal skewers, alternating with cherry tomatoes, sliced onions and mixed peppers. I was able to place four metal skewers in to the flat grilling basket, which I then attached to the spit rod and centered above my now hot charcoals. I threw in a couple small maple chunks to give a little smoke to the beef.

Beef kebabs Joetisserie

With my charcoal ready, I pressed start on my Joetisserie, closed the lid on my Big Green Egg and waited 15 minutes for my beef kabobs to cook. 

At 15 minutes, I checked the temperature of my beef and decided to cook for another five minutes. Once I took the beef kabobs off the Big Green Egg, I tented the kabobs and let them rest for another ten minutes. I will say though I did sneak a piece or three off one of the kabobs for “testing” purposes.

Joetisserie Beef Kabobs

The beef kebabs turned out great, but the next I make them I am going to only rotisserie the beef kabobs for 17-18 minutes. Although the beef kebabs using the Joetisserie were moist and juicy, removing the beef kabobs at 17-18 minutes would be ideal.

So there you have it. Spin number two using the Joetisserie is officially in the books. I can’t wait to try out my homemade gyros or even perhaps chicken wings. Either way, it’ll be amazing.

I EGG, therefore I am.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Website
YouTube

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Looks great, thanks for sharing.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • ProductPoet
    ProductPoet Posts: 63
    My pleasure @EggNorth. So far so good.
    I EGG, therefore I am.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My Website
    YouTube
  • Kurrgo
    Kurrgo Posts: 23

Last week I purchased my latest, favorite accessory for the Big Green Egg, the Kamado Joe Joetisserie. The Joetisserie is the perfect rotisserie to use for an 18 inch ceramic grill. In my case, I have a large Big Green Egg.

For my second spin, I decided to make beef kabobs, as compared to the amazing Joetisserie chicken that I made during my first spin.

As I was fondly reminiscing about my rotisserie chicken, I really wanted to try beef kabobs. After a quick on-line search, I couldn’t find an article about how to make beef kabobs using the Joetisserie, so I decided to write one.

The first thing I needed to decide was do I want to buy a rotisserie kabob wheel or simply go with a flat grilling basket? Due to the amazing low price of $7.99, I opted to go for the flat grilling basket which I picked up at a local hardware store.

For my beef, I was at Costco and picked up some top sirloin, fresh onions, cherry tomatoes and a package of mixed peppers. By the way, if you have a Costco near you, I do find their meat selection is spectacular, especially if you have a large cook or grill ahead of you.

For my setup on the Big Green Egg, I filled up the firebox half way with previously used and new Cowboy lump charcoal. Once my charcoal was lit with my Electrolight Torch, I set my temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit using my DigiQ DX2.

While my Big Green Egg was warming up, we readied the beef by quartering in to bite size pieces. Once we applied extra olive oil to the beef, we used the Pork Barrel BBQ rub, which tastes great on poultry, pork, beef, seafood and vegetables.

Once the beef rub was applied, we placed the beef on the metal skewers, alternating with cherry tomatoes, sliced onions and mixed peppers. I was able to place four metal skewers in to the flat grilling basket, which I then attached to the spit rod and centered above my now hot charcoals. I threw in a couple small maple chunks to give a little smoke to the beef.

Beef kebabs Joetisserie

With my charcoal ready, I pressed start on my Joetisserie, closed the lid on my Big Green Egg and waited 15 minutes for my beef kabobs to cook. 

At 15 minutes, I checked the temperature of my beef and decided to cook for another five minutes. Once I took the beef kabobs off the Big Green Egg, I tented the kabobs and let them rest for another ten minutes. I will say though I did sneak a piece or three off one of the kabobs for “testing” purposes.

Joetisserie Beef Kabobs

The beef kebabs turned out great, but the next I make them I am going to only rotisserie the beef kabobs for 17-18 minutes. Although the beef kebabs using the Joetisserie were moist and juicy, removing the beef kabobs at 17-18 minutes would be ideal.

So there you have it. Spin number two using the Joetisserie is officially in the books. I can’t wait to try out my homemade gyros or even perhaps chicken wings. Either way, it’ll be amazing.

How did you rig the kebabs in those grill grates?
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    First, I'm real tempted to get this accessory so I appreciate your continued updates.  AND, nice call on the basket.  Certainly more than adequate for the job.

Okay, was it worth rotisserie-ing these kabobs vs just grilling them?  I could see it being beneficial to a large cut with lots of dripping fat and juices (whole chicken, roast, etc.) that constantly get basted, but these little chunks of beef don't seem like they'd benefit much from the complexity?  Don't want to sound critical, just want to understand the benefits more.

:plus_one:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Looks great.  have you done this again?  Big fan of my Joetisserie.  Thx
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I keep seeing these great looking cooks with the Joetisserie.

This is one of those things I want so bad but can't part with the funds thinking it might sit idle most of the time. I'd love to do a rib roast on one of these.
  • eggnewtoy
    @Hungry Joe. I use mine all of the time. It’s been a great investment.  Along with the basket above, I can do anything.  

• Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    eggnewtoy said:
    @Hungry Joe. I use mine all of the time. It’s been a great investment.  Along with the basket above, I can do anything.  

What he said. =)
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    How does the basket attach to the rotisserie? I already have the rotisserie and enjoy it. Thanks
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Great write up!!!  I received my jotisserie yesterday...today I'm doing a whole chicken, can't wait.  Will pick up a basket and do kabobs next...either beef or lamb.  Thanks....
    Fairview, Texas
  • Corvus
    Corvus Posts: 30
    Great cook, thanks for the recipe and pics.  
    Blessed are the flexible for they shall not get bent out of shape.

LBGE, Weber Genesis II, Weber Performer, 2-WSM, PKGrill, 22" Blackstone, KettlePizza, Joule, ChefAlarm, Smoke, 2-ThermaPens.
  • Just FYI- this post is 2 years old. OP is long gone
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • eggnewtoy
    Moleman said:
    How does the basket attach to the rotisserie? I already have the rotisserie and enjoy it. Thanks
    It threads through.  

• Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Is that bought at any hardware store or need to be special ordered from somewhere? I'd like to pick one up. Thanks
  • BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• Just FYI- this post is 2 years old. OP is long gone
    C-T, it maybe an old post but there is always something to be gleamed from the additional newer posts.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx