Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Derby Brisket

Options
captjamie
captjamie Posts: 23
We put on an annual Kentucky Derby party right down to the money on the ponies to the ladies hats and very fine bourbon. 
This year I opted for a brisket to go with my famous Wampus Smoked Bourbon Baked Beans. 

This how my added egg looked prior. I used Pecan and Hickory chunks.

Started with a choice 6.7 pounder from BJ's. Put on the egg at 7:30 for a 7pm serve time. Cooked at 250 dome for 5 hours before we hit the stall. Wow, this hunk of carne stalled for 2 hours at 156deg. I pulled and wrapped in butchers paper and back on when I saw the stall start. 

Pushed thru the stall at 156  and the dang thing stalled again stalled again at 165.... Anyone ever experienced a second stall?

Anyhoo, got thru that little snafu and we opened the vents and pushed the egg up to 350 to finish.  Pulled the brisket off at 5:30 with an internal of 195 and probing very nicely. 

9.5 hour cook and we had some really tender and moist slices of brisket. I also made the day before pulled chicken that I prepared in a white Alabama white sauce for sammies. Wow was the one a keeper. I'll have to repeat and share another time.  
As for my famous Wampus bourbon baked smoked beans... I just won't share..
Life's short on this big rock.... Enjoy while you can!

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Killer!  Beans no bueno? Me loves beans. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Banquet right there- nice cook.  Go Baby, Go.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Yeah buddy, looks like a winner to me. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.