Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: So I called my mother today;

Options
jabam
jabam Posts: 1,829
I called my mom today, like so many of us do on Mother's Day, and had a pleasant conversation, talked about what she was doing and what other family members were up to and in general a nice conversation. 

After i I hung up I realized how much I under appreciate all the things in life she has done for me. 

Divorced my biological father, because he didn't want kids, raised me and my brother and sister and provided as well as a single mom could. Remarried because she felt we needed a father figure in our lives. He was tough, but he instilled in us and our new half sister a get it done, work is everything attitude. While their marriage was not ideal she endured, because she wanted the best for her children. 

She is now 75 years olds, still works 8 hours a day at her antique shop, that she co owns with my little sister. 

When I asked her today how everything was, she said fine and started talking about her grandkids and great grandkids and her beloved cousin who is battling Alzheimer's, and never once complained about her life and the health issues she is battling, or the fact that her little store that she loves is struggling financially. 

After i hung up and thought about her for awhile, a tear or two came to my eye, because I realized what a mother I have. Wouldn't trade her for the world, and only hope I can measure up to her as a parent. 

So so I called her back....
Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"

Comments

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    We all need to stop and let the real world sink in every now and then.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes!  Got take a step or two back every now and then. Respect. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You are a good guy @jabam

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Way to go @jabam , I sure wish my mom was still around.  One of the things we used to talk about all the time was food, cooking and sharing recipes.  She was a fantastic cook and loved to entertain
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Thanks for the story. Enjoyed reading it and does make you think....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Good on ya brother!  :clap:
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @jabam Nice story. Yes, talk to her while you still have her. My mom and I were very close; I miss her. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Good Man, great son.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,173
    Options
    Thank you for sharing.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Cherish your parents while you have them. I am sure she appreciated your call (s) waymore than you know.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Cherish your parents while you have them. I am sure she appreciated your call (s) waymore than you know.
    It just hit me hard today, because I don't see her as often as I would like. But I am going to fix that! Happy mothers to all of you
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Enjoy your parents, my brothers.  My Mom has dementia or maybe Alzheimer's.  Her memory is zip.  It's difficult to call her because she forgets to hang up her phone from the previous call.  The TV remote control is beyond her ability to operate.  I visit every other weekend and try to call every day.  Our conversations consist of "how's your day?" and "what is your dog doing?".  She has a little old dog.

I lost my Dad to Alzheimer's four years ago and he didn't know who I was for five years before that.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Perfectly said @jabam.  You have a wonderful mom.