Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teriyaki Glazed Pork Loin Roast

Options
DaveRichardson
DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
Still trying to cook good things for my better half and her eating better thing....  I've kinda grown to liking some different things with chicken and pork. 

I I submit my creation tonight....  Cooked raised direct with firebricks on their long side on the ring at 350 until 130. Then pulled the bricks and cranked the egg to 700 and gave it a little kiss of fire to give me a little crunch on the outside. 

Had to slice and vac seal for later in the week, but I did sneak a morsel and it was worthy.....  

Hopefully the 12 and 6 year olds will approve and we will add this into our rotation!  

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

Comments

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Looks awesome, willing to share the recipe of the glazing?

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautiful crust brother!  Sliced up deliciousness.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    SWMBO will get the initial goodness of it later this week.  Hopefully I can still squeeze one of the Anova SV deals out in time for the next trial!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    If there's a will...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I cook this frequently, as it is one of our most favorite dishes for the family. 
    This is a beautiful cook  @DaveRichardson kudos to you this looks delicious.

I think this is the most overlooked and underrated cooks for the grill. 

If anyone is interested:
    This is a super easy process and I am interested in Dave's approach, or anyone else's process:

I start the marinade process with mine by taking the pork roast perforating it extensively with a small knife on every surface, I use teriyaki and pineapple juice for the marinade, placing the loin in a large sealable bag, and covering it completely with the liquid. Let sit in the fridge for four hours, more if I have time.
    I pull from the marinade and let stand while I get the grill ready, then prior to placing on the grill I coat completely with rub.

Fabulous cook!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    I love teriyaki with pineapple juice but if I marinate for more than an hour the meat always gets a funky mushy texture. Am I doing something wrong?
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    I love teriyaki with pineapple juice but if I marinate for more than an hour the meat always gets a funky mushy texture. Am I doing something wrong?
    Direct or indirect? Temp vs Time?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NonaScott
    edited May 2016
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    NonaScott said:
    Direct or indirect? Temp vs Time?
    Doesn't matter. Pork roast indirect or chicken kebabs direct both at 350 or above. I've been told it's enzymes in the pineapple juice
    Narcoossee, FL

• YukonRon
    Options
    I never noticed the problem. I go 375F Dome 1 hour, then RS at 500F for 2-3 mins per side. Maybe I am doing something wrong. The marinade I use is the cheap stuff commonly found off branded at the chain grocers.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NonaScott
    Options
    I haven't tried the commercial stuff. I make my own so maybe I'm using to much pineapple juice. I'll try the commercial stuff and see what happens.
    Narcoossee, FL

• WileE.Coyote
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I never noticed the problem. I go 375F Dome 1 hour, then RS at 500F for 2-3 mins per side. Maybe I am doing something wrong. The marinade I use is the cheap stuff commonly found off branded at the chain grocers.
    Do you cook with the Plate setter in @ 375 or raised direct? I'm always telling my self i need to cook more pork loins. 

Safety Harbor, FL
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Do you cook with the Plate setter in @ 375 or raised direct? I'm always telling my self i need to cook more pork loins. 

PS then pull the PS, raise temp to 500F direct 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    It's an enzyme in pineapple juice that breaks down the meat.  If you're using fresh pineapple juice, I think you can heat it up above 150 or so and then let it cool down before adding to the pork and that would deactivate the enzyme.  I can't remember the name of it or the temp for certain, but @nolaegghead knows and maybe can add some advice.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Legume said:
    It's an enzyme in pineapple juice that breaks down the meat.  If you're using fresh pineapple juice, I think you can heat it up above 150 or so and then let it cool down before adding to the pork and that would deactivate the enzyme.  I can't remember the name of it or the temp for certain, but @nolaegghead knows and maybe can add some advice.
    Nolapedia

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.