Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salsa instead of BBQ sauce.

Options
So I grilled some bone-in chicken breasts to 165 internal, dusted with Dreamland Rub. Served with black beans and whole kernel corn and topped the chicken with mango peach salsa. The salsa has 2 grams of carbs vs. 18 grams in Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce. I think little steps like that are helping, just by cutting back incrementally. And, the salsa topped chicken was very, very good.

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    OK, now I'm just showing off. Look how moist and juicy that chicken is:

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes you are just showing off.  Just like everybody else here when they cook a great meal.  That's a nice plate of food.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Looks good. And I am sure the fancy salsa was wonderful on top of your protein. But as someone who has been on an Atkins style low carb plan a few times over the years, did you notice how many carbs are in corn? It is staggering. Corn and carrots were off limits on low carb plans.

Good luck with your diet plans. I commend your resolve. It is time for me to get serious about dropping some weight again. Just have no willpower at the moment.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Sweet Baby Ray's is my go to, but I have had salsa on chicken before, and it was very good. Yours looks great! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Looks good. And I am sure the fancy salsa was wonderful on top of your protein. But as someone who has been on an Atkins style low carb plan a few times over the years, did you notice how many carbs are in corn? It is staggering. Corn and carrots were off limits on low carb plans.

Good luck with your diet plans. I commend your resolve. It is time for me to get serious about dropping some weight again. Just have no willpower at the moment.

Jim

Yes, lots of carbs in corn, carrots, potatoes, onions and other veggies. I have been advised by my Dr. to avoid processed, refined carbs but to still eat healthy carbs like corn and carrots. I just don't eat as much as I used to.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Sweet Baby Ray's is my go to, but I have had salsa on chicken before, and it was very good. Yours looks great! 
    Yeah, I like Sweet Baby Ray's. A bit too much I am afraid. I used to just simply apply gobs of it to chicken, ribs etc...so replacing it with salsa and hot sauce is helping to cut back on carbs and calories.