Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying a R&B combo

Options
Anything I need to add to the shopping cart to save me shipping later?  I'm talking must have items.

Thanks,
-Dweebs

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I like the extender with mine. I wish I had picked up a spider while I was at it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited April 2016
    Options
    extender, spider, small bge stone and small cast iron grid is the perfect catch-all setup. You can reverse sear on the grid right on the lump with the spider and small CI grid. You just leave it in while you roast then pull the AR and it's already hot. Ready to sear in minutes right at lump level.  If you use the small bge stone on the spider as the indirect piece you can do 3 racks of spares or 6 st Louis at a time in a large. can do 2 briskets or 6 butts pretty easily too. I have that set up on both larges and it's perfect for me. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    I am going to make the order sometime this weekend.  Thanks for the suggestions.

BTW, after experimenting with different grills for the last 6 or 8 months I am back to BGE ownership.  Super excited to rekindle my love affair with the grill.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • giftedorganist
    Options
    extender, spider, small bge stone and small cast iron grid is the perfect catch-all setup. You can reverse sear on the grid right on the lump with the spider and small CI grid. You just leave it in while you roast then pull the AR and it's already hot. Ready to sear in minutes right at lump level.  If you use the small bge stone on the spider as the indirect piece you can do 3 racks of spares or 6 st Louis at a time in a large. can do 2 briskets or 6 butts pretty easily too. I have that set up on both larges and it's perfect for me. 

Can you post pics of your setup for doing your spares?  Thanks!
    St. Charles, IL - Large BGE - WSM - Weber Kettle
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited April 2016
    Options
    also get some flat steel skewers for kebabs. The rig with only the crossbars in is is the perfect set up to cook kebabs and yakitori on the steel skewers. I got mine on amazon. do not get round- get flat or angled. they will stay where you turn them much easier if they are not round. The round ones just roll back to whatever side the meat is heaviest.

Tikka Masala pictured above. We do this and Yakitori almost every week
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    why didnt i think of that?  that is a great idea for kabobs

my .02 pick up a wok and spider. because, why not?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    tonyled said:
    why didnt i think of that?  that is a great idea for kabobs

my .02 pick up a wok and spider. because, why not?
    it's perfect. You can raise or lower it so you can cook anything. there is no grid for all the marinade to get all over. it's pretty close to authentic for yakitori and close enough to a tandoor for me.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited April 2016
    Options
    good call on the wok. I use it all the time. best $30 I've spent for my egg for sure.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I'll see if I can dig one up.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

See if any of these pics work. I go spider down, small BGE stone, then AR with extender and sliding grid for 3 levels of cooking. 

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    +1 rig extender with D grate. Really comes in handy/useful. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    here is a pic of 3 levels in use (not my pic)

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    also get some flat steel skewers for kebabs. The rig with only the crossbars in is is the perfect set up to cook kebabs and yakitori on the steel skewers. I got mine on amazon. do not get round- get flat or angled. they will stay where you turn them much easier if they are not round. The round ones just roll back to whatever side the meat is heaviest.
    That's awesome!

I have the R&B....I have skewers.
    I have not put the two together!

Next cook...  ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    I went with the large adj combo to get spyder and stone that go below.  Extras I ordered were extra set of the support bars, a round grid that fits down in the rig (factory grid sits on top), and I called and got them to substitute in the large drip pan--it gives you a largre heat shield for everything on the top racks so the edges don't burn--Tom will substitute this into the package for a small extra charge instead of the smaller one it comes with.  Fantastic product--used for years..
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I got the R&B but I don't remember what came with it and what I ordered extra. Maybe an extra D shelf? I probably should have gotten a drip pan, or at least that metal frame to make a foil drip pan.

I will say their corderite pizza stones are a good price, especially if shipped free with the combo. Wish I had bought one then.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• dirty_denim86
    Options
    I initially got the R&B combo and a foil ring but later ended up with another sliding grate, extra oval grid so I can rotate my ribs if needed, rig extender with the D grate that store is dangerous...very dangerous.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Ok, I have a bunch of his stuff, but what does R&B stand for?  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options

See if any of these pics work. I go spider down, small BGE stone, then AR with extender and sliding grid for 3 levels of cooking. 

Does you lump last very long??? I stack mine to the top of the fire ring when doing low and slows. Your setup has it only going to the top of the fire box. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Does you lump last very long??? I stack mine to the top of the fire ring when doing low and slows. Your setup has it only going to the top of the fire box. 
    It's plenty- especially for ribs. I've done 2 briskets and 6 butts overnight without adding lump too though. It was close but it powered through for 12+ hours. I can easily go 20+ when up to the top of the ring.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I do switch the meat around half way through the cook in this setup. The stone gets pretty hot and it's pretty close to the bottom grid. It can make whatever is on the bottom rack pretty crusty if you leave it there the whole cook. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Ribs and briskets
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Ribs and briskets
    the R&B has an oval stone and oval grids for longer meats like briskets and ribs. you get more coverage from the direct heat with the oval stones (it's kinda shaped like briskets and racks of ribs)