Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry brine boneless ribeye roast- 1st attempt

Options
2»

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    booksw said:
    Man I miss Darby. I know some don’t like him but he is one of the most helpful and valuable guys to ever come across this forum. 
    Yes.  Where the heck is he?  I was hoping maybe he just created another screen name and is still around...
    He's gone.  Big loss.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    booksw said:
    Man I miss Darby. I know some don’t like him but he is one of the most helpful and valuable guys to ever come across this forum. 
    Yes.  Where the heck is he?  I was hoping maybe he just created another screen name and is still around...
    Not sure where he’s at. Don’t know much about him other than from his posts on here and the old forum. Perhaps @fishlessman  @Little Steven  or @Zippylip can confirm he’s still alive and kicking. Hopefully he will resurface here one day. 
    Snellville, GA

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I seem to remember "Darby" went other a couple other handles even earlier, but can't remember for sure.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    Botch said:
    I seem to remember "Darby" went other a couple other handles even earlier, but can't remember for sure.  
    I think one of them was "Stike"
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • booksw
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I plan around 25-30 mins/lb at around 250*F on the calibrated dome to around 125*F, until length exceeds diameter then it doesn't matter.  
    Here's a great link for more detailed info:
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html  Enjoy the cook and eats.  
    That web site has my head spinning a bit @lousubcap.  My roast is called "boned" which I thought "boneless" when I bought it but it actually means "bone-in" but maybe only one bone?  You can see it on the bottom of the picture above (posted 12/21).  So, I am thinking based on that website, that I need to add about an hour to the time because of the bone, to allow this thing to cook?  I was going to put it on at 3 pm but now I am thinking 2 pm-   I will ultimately determine cooking time only by internal temp, but I want to leave myself enough time to get to temp.  Any one have any ideas about this?Thanks!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Based on your pic you have a couple of options-your roast has had the bones cut away and then tied back (can't tell the number of bones but you have the roast so give the number of bones a count.) Anyhow, you can remove the bone(s?) and then go with the same cook as you did back in April 2016 or you can leave the bone(s?) on and adjust for them.  If you opt to remove the bones before the cook, beef back ribs are great stand-alone.  
    Or give this site a read on using the bones along with all the other info:
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/science-cooking-prime-rib-tenderloin-and-other-beef-roasts FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • booksw
    Options
    wow- thank you!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs