Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Review of El Diablo and a PSA about wearing Boxers while operating a Mapp Torch

Options
blasting
blasting Posts: 6,262
edited April 2016 in Off Topic
Had a friend move away, gift me all his grill supplies including a bag of El Diablo.  I cleaned out the egg and filled it with El Diablo.  First of all - HOLY LUMP SIZE.  The pick below is not the biggest - it is average, at least in this bag.  Well I go to fire up the lump with my Mapp torch and the sparks were flying.  This stuff sparks bigtime!  Now, when I'm home alone, you can count on the fact that I'm in uniform (Boxer Shorts).   This turned out to be a mistake.  I now look like I have the measles I have so many red spots on my arms and chest.

The lump got to good smoke quite quickly (not important since this was just a clean burn), and it left much more ash than what I'm used to.  I'm guessing this was because some of the lump had not been carbonized.  I noticed while loading that some pieces were very solid.  There were also quite a few rocks they had generously included in the bag.

So the takeaway?  Besides my questionable choice to not wear proper cloths, I don't think I'd purchase El Diablo.  Rockwood remains the champion.

Phoenix 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Hilarious visual brother!  Thanks for the PSA and get well soon! ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm anal about very few things,  but I only wear cotton pants/jeans,  cotton shirts,  and shoes that fully cover my feet when dealing with the eggs or grilling in general. I've burned a few holes in  non cotton clothes,  but I learned my lesson quickly.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Yeah, I learned about back flash out of the bottom vent too. I would recommend exercising caution while wearing shorts. Just sayin'.  Saw it in a video somewhere :|
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

My attire isn't  OSHA approved, but I wear shorts (or boxers) 365.  I'll take a few sparks and singed hair rather than put pants on.  

I am considering turning my back to the egg and not burping it.  I heard women don't like back hair...

Phoenix