Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Athens Eggfest this Saturday

Anyone up for Athens Eggfest this Saturday? Athens, TX not GA before you Bulldogs get too excited.

The venue is amazing - Texas Fresh Water Fisheries.

We will be there so stop by and say hello!
-Matt

XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    SIGH: I wish I was

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Have been lurking for quite awhile here. The Mrs. and I will be attending. We have not pulled the trigger on a BGE yet. This will be our first eggfest and will be attending the one in McKinney also. Weather is going to be nice. Definitely looking forward to putting a face to members here.
    McKinney, Texas
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Have been lurking for quite awhile here. The Mrs. and I will be attending. We have not pulled the trigger on a BGE yet. This will be our first eggfest and will be attending the one in McKinney also. Weather is going to be nice. Definitely looking forward to putting a face to members here.
    Look us up. We will be at both.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Bruce and I will be at Athens and McKinney also.  Really excited to have nice weather!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • MeatChurch
    MeatChurch Posts: 200
    Awesome! You can get great prices on demo Eggs at Eggfests too. 
    Matt

Triglide_Egger said:
    Have been lurking for quite awhile here. The Mrs. and I will be attending. We have not pulled the trigger on a BGE yet. This will be our first eggfest and will be attending the one in McKinney also. Weather is going to be nice. Definitely looking forward to putting a face to members here.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2016
    I will be there and will make sure to stop by. I met a couple of you in Jefferson, TX last year. You cooks are awesome. Matt love the rubs. I would have cooked if I could have got some help but my son was busy.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    We'll be there. I've been looking forward to it. The weather does look like it's gonna be awesome.  

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    @Ms_Stone and I will be there and cooking.  This will be our first Fest outside of Salado, and we're looking forward to it.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Starting to get things ready today...

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MeatChurch
    I like they way you Egghead forum!

Photo Egg said:
    Starting to get things ready today...

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited April 2016
    started the prep today, bringing an 18lb Smithfield dry cured ham to make grilled ham sandwiches with something special. Have a 3 hr drive will arrive about 1000 or so on Saturday.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Will be there with bells on! Just got done with groceries, packed supplies last night, will be starting prep tonight.  

Anyone know if they have power and running water available for cooks?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MeatChurch
    There is a full prep kitchen for cooks. It's very nice. 
    -Matt

caliking said:
    Will be there with bells on! Just got done with groceries, packed supplies last night, will be starting prep tonight.  

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Don't forget to go to the Texas Fisheries when you get into town to pick up your goodie bag. They will have a Brookshire grocery gift card for your last minute shopping. It is a really nice store! Look forward to seeing you all.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    We will be arriving early Saturday morning, going to give cooking a shot. Now I need to decide what to cook......
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    caliking said:

After you cook at the Athens Eggfest you will never want to cook at any other Eggfest.
    They have a full commercial kitchen with lots of prep space. They treat the cooks like kings...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    They just announced this on the website: "To celebrate our event’s success and in honor of Tax Day, Morrison Supply will graciously honor the event sale price on all Big Green Eggs OF ANY SIZE purchased through their representatives up until April 15, 2016."
    Dallas, TX
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Just want to share an email from the Athens group. They really are great people. If you have free time this weekend, head on to Athens, TX and join in the fun.  Children will especially love the aquarium and being able to fish. They provide the poles.... Hope to see you there!

Greetings everyone!

I'm so excited about this weekend's Eggfest!!!!!  Not only is PERFECT weather predicted, we have already pre-sold a record number of Big Green Eggs - 68 to date!!!  

We are anticipating record crowds as well.  I'm pleased to tell you that our sponsors have made it so that each cooking team will receive $50 in gift cards from Brookshires Grocery.  I did some of my shopping there today and found some really good deals.  For instance, a one pound package of Bar S sliced bacon (either Thick or Smoked) is on sale for Buy 1, Get 1 for a Penny!.   As you know, bacon is a BGE staple!!!!  Anyway, if you need this or any other supplies, please consider using your card on Friday or Saturday morning.  You can "reserve" special items by calling the store direct at 903-675-6680 and speaking with a Customer Service representative.  They are aware of our event and should be able to assist you with your needs.

Most of you have been with us before, but for those of you "Newbies", please don't worry about bringing tents or chairs - we'll provide both for you.  Everyone will have at least one large Big Green Egg to cook on.  Some of you have requested multiple Eggs and/or the XL size.  No worries.  Requests like this have been accommodated when made in advance. 

We will again have a supply table filled with a limited amount of cups, plates, napkins, toothpicks, etc.   Please feel to help yourself, but remember - everyone should be allowed to grab some. 

Our cooks will enjoy a complimentary supply of bottled water, compliments of Morrison Supply. Our guests will have opportunity to purchase bottled water as part of a fundraising venue for the Friends of the Fisheries Center.  Our cooks will also have access to ice in the catering kitchen of the Conservation Center. 

As always, we will have doorprize drawings for our cooks/cooking teams.  If you have a treat you'd like to present as a doorprize, please feel free to bring it!  We LOVE sharing seasonings, etc.   

Tomorrow night's Pre Event Party is hosted by Morrison Supply and I understand it will be PHENOMENAL!!!  Come hungry any time after 5:00 p.m.    Beer and soft drinks will be provided.  Any other needs will need to be BYOB.

Finally, a few cooks have asked whether or not Saturday's Post Event Party will be catered.  As in the past, this will be a potluck event featuring some of our favorite treats.  Please bring whatever you think other Eggheads would enjoy. 

If there's ANYTHING I've forgotten, please reply all to this email so that we all can be privy to the answer.  Likewise, if you notice that I've accidentally left someone off of this email, please forward it along to them.  

Looking forward to seeing each and every one of you, I remain . . . 

Sincerely,

Darlene 4Soggy

Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • TXsmokin
    TXsmokin Posts: 67
    Let the fun and great food begin! 
    Fort Worth, TX      
    LG Big Green Egg, Weber Genesis Gasser, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Jumbo Joe

Flame Boss 300, Orange Thermapen (because Orange is the fastest)
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    This was a great event, and we'll definately be back next year. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    All you slack asses need to post some pics. We did better at a baseball game for christsakes 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    WOWSER! 68 eggs pre-sold!!! I always wonder why more dealers don't get on the band wagon!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    This was indeed a great eggfest.  So glad that @Photo Egg and @Spring Hen talked us into this one. I didn't have time to take pics but I'm sure some folks took some to share. It was really a great day. Despite @20stone riding my a$$ all day about not plating  things at the correct  angle to incident light.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • texaswig
    We had a awesome time. Got to cook besides all my favorite eggheads. I made boudain bombers . 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • texaswig
    I'll let @20stone and @caliking explain what they cooked. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • texaswig
    @theyolksonyou I posted photos 6 minutes ago and no comment yet? Where you at? 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • texaswig
    The thing that I didn't get a pic of that people went crazy over were the mini Margarita cones that @Hotch and his wife made (  not sure what her name on here is) . 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I really wanted to go and I really wanted to get one of the Minis they were pre-selling. But it was my nephew's birthday so had to go to that. Would love to see more pics.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Great fest, great tent mates, record attendance.....we will be back next year.  See most everyone at either Austin or Spring Texas.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited April 2016
    We have to do this eggfest in one day because of 4 dogs at home. 365 mile round trip so a very early morning to start. The pond gods only got a roll of paper towels and a pair of gloves for sacrifices this year. Lots of very nice people, weather was great, everyone ran out of food about the same time. I won one of the drawings and took home a very cool BGE cap, cutting board and embroidered towel and  gift card. Shared a tent with the @Photo Egg team. The Monte Cristo sandwiches were a hit. Wife says to much work. I did notice that @Photo Egg kept his shirt clean all day. Some guy from Arkansas was wearing a white apron and managed to the same. I can't say the same for my apron. We had a great time, looking forward to next year.=- See yall in Spring or Austin.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein