Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Sous Vide Steak Question

jeffwit
jeffwit Posts: 1,348
Cooked steaks with my new Anova SV tonight. Let me say, that satisfies many parts of the gadget geek in me. It's a fun tool to add to the arsenal. Here's the details, then the questions....
1.5" or so boneless ribeyes. Seasoned with S&P, then into the bath at 55*C (recommended temp for medium rare) for about 2 hours. Finished with a sear in a hot cast iron skillet with a little oil, butter, garlic, thyme, and rosemary. They were really good, and had a uniform color from edge to edge. Sorry about no pics, but this was a pretty vanilla cook.
Here are some questions: My steaks wound up being medium, not medium rare. I seared them for about 30 seconds per side and flipped probably 3 or 4 times. Why medium? Did they cook that much on the sear? 55*C is 131*F, which is the low end of medium rare, right? Cook at a lower temp next time? What temp? Ice bath after the hot bath?
Also, I didn't get as much crust as I like. I was worried about overcooking (rightfully so, apparently), and didn't get any good crunchiness. Next time, I'll use the egg for a higher temp, but again I'm worried about overcooking. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Jefferson, GA
XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
“Honey, we bought a farm.”

Comments

• J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Just starting to mess around with sous vide myself. Did the steaks look medium or did did a temp probe confirm the IT went up that much? 

Either way, I'd consider a little thicker steak and making sure the CI is screaming hot. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    edited April 2016
    I don't know, but if during the sear you flipped 3 or 4 times with 30 seconds on each flip, that could be too long.

I would try 1 minute per side next time and see how that works out.
    In my opinion, the char you a seeking is difficult to achieve without over cooking.
    I have found dusting the meat with corn starch before the sear will help promote a good crust. 
    Searing in cast iron will also give you a better crust.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    How long did they rest before hitting the CI for the sear? I have found this rest period to be crucial.    
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    4Runner said:
    How long did they rest before hitting the CI for the sear? I have found this rest period to be crucial.    
    That's a good point. The colder the better before the sear.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    115 F for one hour, screaming hot CI for 2 min / side. One flip. Money. Did it tonight on induction eye, no egg.  excellent
  • jeffwit
    Basically no rest until the sear. Next time I'll rest them a bit, and cook at a lower temp like Jason says. Thanks!
    Jefferson, GA
  • 4Runner
    @jeffwit - if you or someone in your family is a "I'd rather have it a bit over cooked vs under", I'd give the rest before sear trick a go without changing anything else.   I figured this out on accident and had a rare steak as I was dropping my IT temps back to 115 when I didn't have the rest.   Now, I only account for rise in temp during rest....say 5 to 8 degrees depending on how hot the indirect cook is.   Good luck. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Temp a little too high before the sear. There will always be a little heat added to the center from most searing.

But I think mostly the problem was the searing technique. Too many flips. Don't use butter. If you want something similar, use ghee (clarified butter), or some neutral flavored oil. Those can get a lot hotter than butter before smoking and burning. I've been using rice bran oil, or safflower.

Pour in a little less than 1/4" of oil, and let it heat till it begins to "shimmer," form little waves within itself. Drop the meat into the oil, and cover w. a spatter shield. Don't flip it till it stops sizzling, or very close to that. That means all the water from the surface is gone. Flip and repeat.

Don't bother w. flavoring the oil. Put small amounts of the flavor elements into the bag so their essential oils are released into the meat, and less likely to evaporate during the sear.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    When cooking sous-vide, I usually aim for a core temp of 125F for medium rare.  At a water temp of 131F and a 1.5 inch steak, it takes 1h20m.  The meat won't be be pasteurized (see second screenshot) but you don't care because you end the cook by searing on the egg.  The core will be at 125F and the surface at ~130F.

I pat the meat dry and then brush with butter.  I then sear on the egg at 650F flipping as often as I can every 15-20 seconds for about 1-2 minutes until I am happy with the color/crust.  After the first few flips, I often sprinkle the meat with Worcestershire sauce while the meat is on the grill; it gives a great flavour and helps with the color.  When I am done grilling, I remove the meat and sprinkle it with Montreal steak spices. I cover it with aluminum foil and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.  I serve the meat on hot plates.

I get thick steaks... 2" at least, sv to 115, crank up the heat and sear with butter. Flip every 20-30 seconds and brush with butter. The constant flip keeps the meat from cooking further but gives a great crust. Read it on the internet so it must be true. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • J-dubya
    Some great posts, I need to start serving on hot plates 
  • jeffwit
    henapple said:
     Read it on the internet so it must be true. 
    I know, right? I read my method on the Internet, too. I'm so disillusioned right now. Next thing you know, I might learn that the Kardashians aren't the epitome of what Americans should aspire to be...
    Jefferson, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2016
    You have all the answers above. If you like a darker/more flavourful crust, Desi Ghee or clarified butter in  a hot CI skillet as a a pre Trés Booblay sear. Don't over do it, dry the meat surface with paper towel, sear for maybe 30-60 seconds per side - if a NY strip with a fat edge, diamond cut and hold the steak so the edge sears/renders a bit. Into the bath bag with a little oil and seasoning for 2 hours at 120ºF. Pull and dry, sear again. 30-45 seconds per side. Same technique for pork chops only bath at 135º. No need to rest before or after the serving sear. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    What about putting a steak in a cold water back to bring down the internal temperature before searing?
  • J-dubya
    Did a couple porterhouses tonight, tried some the techniques in this thread and they seemed to help. 

• jeffwit
    That looks really good, @J-dubya. That's exactly what I was looking for, but wound up with a medium steak. Great job!
    Jefferson, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm doing 110F in the hot tub for an hour or two then sear.  You can bring it up to rare or medium rare from there.  We like it rare.  The extra time in the hot tub makes a difference.   Obviously don't leave it in too long (four hours is the food nazi limit from the FDA).  You can grow microbes, but you season the outside....the salt mitigates that problem.  
    edited April 2016
    I'm with nola, settled on 108 for two hrs, for now.  Gives you a little more time on the grill.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I'm sure it was mentioned above but at least a 10 minute rest before you sear and pat he steak down with paper towels to dry the steak as much as you can just before you sear in hot pan. Also, use minimal liquid in the pan to increase crust on steak. Wet steak and to much oil/butter just makes steam till it burns off.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I kinda side with J Kenji on the notion that a sous vide steak needs to rest. I do agree that patting them dry is useful pre-searing.

Q: Does sous-vide steak need to rest?

Traditionally-cooked steaks need to rest. That is, they need to be placed aside for five to ten minutes before cutting and serving. This resting period is to allow time for the temperature gradient within the steak to even out. The cooler center is gently heated by the hotter outer edges, while they in turn lose some of their heat to the outside world. Even temperature is important: it's what prevents a steak from leaking its juices everywhere the moment it's been sliced open.

Because a sous-vide steak cooks from edge to edge with more or less perfect evenness, there is no temperature gradient inside. A medium-rare steak should be 130°F from the very center to the outer edge with only the outer surfaces hotter after searing. Sous-vide steaks can be served immediately after searing. The very minimal resting they need will happen on the way from the kitchen to the table.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    HeavyG said:
    I kinda side with J Kenji on the notion that a sous vide steak needs to rest. I do agree that patting them dry is useful pre-searing.

Traditionally-cooked steaks need to rest. That is, they need to be placed aside for five to ten minutes before cutting and serving. This resting period is to allow time for the temperature gradient within the steak to even out. The cooler center is gently heated by the hotter outer edges, while they in turn lose some of their heat to the outside world. Even temperature is important: it's what prevents a steak from leaking its juices everywhere the moment it's been sliced open.

Because a sous-vide steak cooks from edge to edge with more or less perfect evenness, there is no temperature gradient inside. A medium-rare steak should be 130°F from the very center to the outer edge with only the outer surfaces hotter after searing. Sous-vide steaks can be served immediately after searing. The very minimal resting they need will happen on the way from the kitchen to the table.

You may or may not be understanding some of the comments to "rest" in the above posts.
    The rest in my post is before the sear, not a rest before cutting and serving.
    A rest or quick ice bath after the SV will allow the outer area of the steak/protein to drop in temp. This will allow you to give it a harder/longer sear with out as much carry over into the steak when you are searing for crust or color after the SV.
    I agree, no need to rest before cutting and serving steak.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I let my steaks rest even if they were pre-cooked sous-vide prior to being seared.  It lets the meat "relax".

RELAX, DON'T DO IT....WHEN YOU WANT TO........SEAR!!!
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:

You may or may not be understanding some of the comments to "rest" in the above posts.
    A rest or quick ice bath after the SV will allow the outer area of the steak/protein to drop in temp. This will allow you to give it a harder/longer sear with out as much carry over into the steak when you are searing for crust or color after the SV.
    Didn't misunderstand.

Why not just sous vide at a lower temp to start with if you want to leave it on the fire to get a deeper sear?

There is no need to rest a sous vide steak pre- or post-sear. But everybody has their own technique and will do what suits their fancy. It's all good.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• 4Runner
    Yep. IT temp control is why I rest. SV or reverse sear.  Much more consistent results.   
  • Photo Egg
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:

Didn't misunderstand.

Why not just sous vide at a lower temp to start with if you want to leave it on the fire to get a deeper sear?

There is no need to rest a sous vide steak pre- or post-sear. But everybody has their own technique and will do what suits their fancy. It's all good.
    Ok, but you made a big point by quoting Kenji and saying you agreed with him but all you quoted was rest time after SV to the serving table by Kenji.
    If you wold have just said your opinion of SV at a lower temp and sear longer there would have been no confusion to your point.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:

Didn't misunderstand.

Ok, but you made a big point by quoting Kenji and saying you agreed with him but all you quoted was rest time after SV to the serving table by Kenji.
    If you wold have just said your opinion of SV at a lower temp and sear longer there would have been no confusion to your point.

My bad.

• 4Runner
    edited April 2016
    And it's just easier.  In addition, no matter how soon you pull it, the longer the sear the more the cook seaps into the meat. There is a happy medium.   
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'll throw the bag in some tepid water to retard the impact the sear has on my internal temp.  Perfectly acceptable. 
    For me, the concern with the sear is ruining the edge to edge consistency.

M.   Most of us can get a really consistent IT with reverse sear or front sear on the egg, but you get a big band of gray.  Anyone use a torch to sear? How does it compare (in the context of this discussion - increasing IT etc) with a CI sear?