Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lasagna question

Options
So I make a pretty mean lasagna, but never done it on the grill and want to try it soon.   Main question is 1.  Is lasagna on the grill really that much different than oven  and 2.  What kind of, if any, wood should I add to the lump?
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It's a personal choice of smoked vs non smoked. I like them smoked myself. I use either oak or pecan for smoking them. Just don't pour the smoke to it like you would a primal and all will be well. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just a note, if you like smoked cheese, you will probably like smoked lasagna. If you don't like smoked cheese, then you probably won't like smoked lasagna either. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @SGH is on track- another way to get the flavor is to cold smoke some cheese and use that. I prefer it done this way as you get the smokey flavor throughout and not just on the surface. 

Either way way I think you will enjoy it- just go light on the smoke. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I made spaghetti once using left over smoked meatloaf.
    I had loved the meatloaf, but I felt it ruined my spaghetti, which I really like my spaghetti sauce I make.  I just didn't like it mixed with smoked meatloaf meat.
    So my opinion is smoked italian cuisine doesn't fit well with my palate, YMMV.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I really enjoyed lasagna on the egg.  I don't use any extra smoking wood and I think the egg brings a bit of wood fired flavor.  

The way I did it was I kept the lasagna covered with foil the first half of the cook, uncovered the second half.  This way I had a nice clean burning fire.  I find smoke flavor really "sticks" to cheese so it doesn't take much. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I"d try it without adding smoke wood and then add on the next go around if you feel the need. It all depends on what kind of lump you are using. 
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    We've found that the lump adds enough smokiness that there's no need for smoke wood. My daughter is just so-so on lasagna cooked in the oven but is a big fan of it on the Egg. 

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I use my egg for just about everything that I could bake in the oven. Lasagna is a favorite of my family on the egg and so are a variety of quick breads that I bake on there. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2016
    Options
    All personal preference and some good advice thus far in the thread.
    When I bake on the egg, it's lump(usually RO) only, no wood.

Like stated, try no wood, and go from there. 
    If you do decide to add wood, one chunk of a lighter fruit wood is plenty.

I too, cover with Pam sprayed foil so the cheese and parm do not stick, and remove 30 minutes in.  Buys time and evens things out, keeping the cheese from overcooking on top before its fully cooked.   

350-375 indirect, an hour maybe a little longer if at 350, until it browns slightly.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Making lasagna this weekend.  I fry the hamburger and onions first with a little smoke, which gives the lasagna a nice flavour.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    We've found that the lump adds enough smokiness that there's no need for smoke wood. My daughter is just so-so on lasagna cooked in the oven but is a big fan of it on the Egg. 
    ^^^^^^ This is the feeling at my house.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CheeseheadIllinois
    Options
    Agree with SciAggie.  The lump charcoal is sufficient.  Texture is great.  Taste is better.  And, the novelty of cooking lasagna on the BGE is the best.