Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Ribs Baby... My Favorite

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
Threw on some beef ribs this morning. Cooking at 275ish. Rockwood lump with a bit of hickory and cherry wood for smoke. They are looking mighty fine. Boston baked beans getting happy in my bean pot - just put some red potatoes in the CI skillet to roast. Plated pics to come...

Ribs are probing tender after about 5:45 minutes. I rested for about 15 minutes and they are now wrapped in foil and holding in a warm oven.

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Going to be a nice dinner!!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by for the finale with the seal of approval in hand my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    SGH said:
    Standing by for the finale with the seal of approval in hand my friend. 
    Now I'm feeling the pressure - but I got this...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I can look at the pull and the surface moisture and tell you it's a winner my friend. Just don't get carried away with the oven temps while holding. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    SGH said:
    SciAggie said:
    I can look at the pull and the surface moisture and tell you it's a winner my friend. Just don't get carried away with the oven temps while holding. 
    My lowest setting is 170 degrees. I let it get warm, put the food in and turned off the oven. That sound about right?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    My lowest setting is 170 degrees. I let it get warm, put the food in and turned off the oven. That sound about right?
    Perfect. 

Status- Standing by.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Gonna be nice I'm sure!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Are you sure these are Plate Ribs?  Plate Ribs usually have 3 bones and Chuck Short Ribs have 4 bones. Whatever they are, they look great.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Are you sure these are Plate Ribs?  Plate Ribs usually have 3 bones and Chuck Short Ribs have 4 bones. Whatever they are, they look great.
    Yeah, I wouldn't argue about what they are called.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    Options
    Fantastic job my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    That's it right there!  :clap: :clap: 
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Good looking meal!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Looks great! Amazing bark!!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    That's it right there, brisket on a stick.  Now that we've got RD in Fresno I can get the plate and chuck ribs.  Got one more pack in the freezer, gonna do them this week
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Not to confuse anyone more than me-but aren't the plate shorties 3 bones and chuck shorties 4 bones?  Asking as all I can get are the 4 bone chuck (so they are described/sold) shorties around here on a good day.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice meal @SciAggie   

@lousubcap - that is the way I have understood it.  3 bone plate and 4 bone is chuck.  Maybe someone can clear it up for both of us.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Not to confuse anyone more than me-but aren't the plate shorties 3 bones and chuck shorties 4 bones?  Asking as all I can get are the 4 bone chuck (so they are described/sold) shorties around here on a good day.
    After doing my homework these probably are the beef chuck short ribs 130; here's my reference http://aggiemeat.tamu.edu/barbecue-cut-identification/
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @SGH I am honored by your seal of approval. These ribs are certainly a treat - easier than brisket but full bbq beef flavor. 
    @Sammi @NPHuskerFL @xiphoid007 @logchief @lousubcap Thank y'all for the kind words - today was a fun cook.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nice meal @SciAggie   

@lousubcap - that is the way I have understood it.  3 bone plate and 4 bone is chuck.  Maybe someone can clear it up for both of us.  
    Y'all are correct. I posted a link below above that details the difference. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks great, I need to do beef ribs again.  Spring break for us next week and we are staying home to work around the house, so my have some good cooks to post.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.