Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone Egg a "cross-rib roast," aka beef shoulder roast?

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
Came across a post in another forum where a guy had SV'd a "cross-rib" and then seared it. The pic looked like it was a great cook. He claimed it was as tender and tasty as prime rib.

I did a search, found that the term was Canadian for what goes by shoulder roast in the US. With ordinary oven cooking, I've much preferred chuck over shoulder.

I don't recall anyone mentioning Egging it. It is part of a whole clod. If anyone has some comment, or pointers, I'd much appreciate it.

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    @SGH is the clod king around these parts.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If he cares to, I'd be glad for any pointers. I think fishless also said he got whole clods, but I don't recall if he broke them down or cooked the whole.

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I've done a couple of shoulder roasts, but neither one turned out very tender. Tried the 2nd one like have cooked brisket IT got to 210 and still too tough. I just turn them into ground beef now. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"