Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeyes with cherry smoke

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
Reverse seared ribeyes left over from the party we had last weekend. 250 over a cherry chunk to 120 and then seared on cast iron. I sprinkled a little Montreal on em and then a little compound butter. I was a little disappointed in mine as it really lacked flavor. Then I at a bite of my wife's steak and I could understand what she was raving about. My son was helping her with her steak and he loved it too. Anyway, it's a lot better than we usually eat on a Tuesday night. 

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    The only thing lacking is a steak on my plate. Looks damn good!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    F'ing gorgeous!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I like the cherry as it keeps the smoke pretty subtle.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Good looking chow my friend.

Hmmm ... I'd of never thought Cherry would be good with steak.  When I want subtle the pecan comes out.  

I started pulling from the roast at 120, but am now down to 105 to get the same look as your steak.  Same with vent openings ... I can never get the same results as others when duplicating their vent openings.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    These ribbies keep coming at us, and they all look spectacular! Stellar cook, beautiful presentation!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Awesome cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• minniemoh
    Options
    Good looking chow my friend.

Hmmm ... I'd of never thought Cherry would be good with steak.  When I want subtle the pecan comes out.  

I started pulling from the roast at 120, but am now down to 105 to get the same look as your steak.  Same with vent openings ... I can never get the same results as others when duplicating their vent openings.

I don't really get much (if any) carry-over cooking when I do the indirect part at 225-250. I put a little grapeseed oil on the skillet when it was 550-600 with the infrared therm. When I plated them, they were both still in the low 120's for temp. How high are you doing the indirect cook?  
    eggAddict from MN!
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    Only problem here is I looked this up at work and now am Starving!!  This looks unreal! Great Looking Cook! I have my inspiration for this weekend now!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Only problem here is I looked this up at work and now am Starving!!  This looks unreal! Great Looking Cook! I have my inspiration for this weekend now!
    Good thing you don't work in a reasturant .....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    FAN-FLIPPEN-TASTIC !!!! That is a beautiful steak and a great looking plate.. Perfection.. Congrats great cook..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Looks good!  We also had ribeyes yesterday.  You did a great job with the reverse sear!

Options
    Beautiful!!  :flushed: 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    I don't really get much (if any) carry-over cooking when I do the indirect part at 225-250. I put a little grapeseed oil on the skillet when it was 550-600 with the infrared therm. When I plated them, they were both still in the low 120's for temp. How high are you doing the indirect cook?  
    Steaks are cut 1.5" thick.  Indirect at 300*, pull the steaks and PSWoo assembly at 105* ... carry-over takes them to 110*.  Pull the SW cap and fully open the bottom vent ... takes about 4 minutes to reach 550*.  A spider and a 13" CI grate has been down in the flames since the beginning of the cook.  Drop the steak down on the CI for 45 seconds per flip ... flip three times (four total sears) to a new quadrant each time.  Steaks come out medium rare, but don't have the evenness across the thickness that your steaks showed.

Will try your "low" temp roast next time ... see if that helps.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Very nice looking plate!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• minniemoh
    Options
    Thanks for all the compliments guys. I really appreciate it.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Can't believe I missed this one yesterday.  Very nice looking meal.  The color of that steak is jus plain righteous 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Looks great. Well done.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Beautiful color and plating.