Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LED lighting under a granite top - Attach?

Options
Having table built, getting close, and wanting to add an led light strip under the granite countertop. Anyone have any advice on how to attach the light strip? I was thinking of having a slight groove notched underneath the lip for the light strip to set in but am wondering if necessary as well as how to make sure the lights stay attached. 

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm guessing your granite will be on a 3/4" plywood substraight, You should be able to fasten your lighting to the plywood. 

If you went with 3cm granite you won't have any substraght.  In this case you would have to use some type of adhesive.  Probably a silicone would work, held up by tape until set.

Post some pics of your project when done - I love that look.
    Phoenix 
  • Bert2015
    Options
    Not setting on plywood. The frame of the cabinet is heavy duty and the slab of granite is thickness of kitchen cabinet (you lost me on 3cm / substraight). The granite company said they would turn it over and groove a 1/4" or so channel to sit the led strip in, if I need to.
  • blasting
    Options
    Sorry, 3 cm granite is thicker than standard, and the front edge isn't double thickness to appear thicker than it is.  Sounds like grooving is your best option, but that won't completely hide your light strip, depending on vantage point.  If you can still see it, and you don't like it, you could paint some small angle iron a similar color to your granite and mount in front of the light strip.
    Phoenix 
  • Bert2015
    Options
    Thanks blasting. It is same thickness so no false front. Heavy SOB. 72"X30". Would some sort of adhesive or clear caulk be the best option. Run a bead through the groove and set the led strip in it until it sets?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Silicone should work just fine 
  • blasting
    Options
    Yep, I agree with Doublegger.  I'd use a clear, window and door silicone.  That'll stay flexible and attached through any weather.

Phoenix 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Did you build the table with a built-in outlet for things like lights, pit controllers, etc?  Might be a good time to add it in.....

I'd go with silicone as said before.  Stays flexible.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Don't do all that, just get the LED tape.  I have had this underneath my cabinets for 6 yrs, no problems.  Even above my range, stuck to the bottom of my microwave (high temps, steam, etc), no problems--still sticks.

I also have under a shelf on a built in desk (no desk lamp needed), and around the inside door jamb of my safe triggered by a magnetic switch on the door.

http://ledlightshack.com/164-foot-3528-White-Under-Cabinet-Counter-LED-Lighting-Tape-Strip-P4466804.aspx?previewtheme=69512&sid=32163

Promo code:  savenow
  • Bert2015
    Options
    Dave, this has been my "table" since my wife surprised me with a LGE Christmas. I have studied and stolen every table idea posted on this site and am hoping I am a week or two away from setting up. Having it made as it is above my skill level to make what I want. Yes, outlets, drawers, granite, lighting, sapele wood with 8 casters on a 72X30 table. If egg will last a lifetime I figured might as well have table that will. Tired of the cinder block!!! Hard but waiting till new table to cook the 3lb SRF prime cowboy.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    +1 on silicone its the way to go for sure.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I was going with chewing gum under the table.....but looks like you folk have solved this one already. Standing by for the next challenge. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I've had LED strips under my cabinets and they've stayed in place since I installed them 6 years ago using the adhesive on the back. I tried to put it on the wood table I built and it would not stay flat. Had to add staples to it.

The groove and silicone would be a good idea. Remember you have to make a turn at the corners so plan that ahead. I soldered in wires to make the corners. Also you need to hide the wire for the light so put a groove for that too from the led groove (probably the corner) to inside the table where the controller and/or transformer is. The more recessed the groove, the narrower the light cast downward so pay attention to the depth you request.

Mine are multi-colored leds with a remote so I had to add a spot for the IR sensor and extend those. Also put in a waterproof tranformer in the table for the lights. Hidden switches and plugs inside the table and an external plug. After doing all that, I almost never turn the lights on. Only when a guest wants to see the egg and the table.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    You guys could build a lunar all terrain vehicle.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky