Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mesquite Teriyaki Turkey Thighs

Options
Not as good as my low and slow, but great for a work day cook.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• BizGreenEgg
    Options
    Dayum.  Did you baste them near the end to get that glaze on them?  Great color.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Dayum.  Did you baste them near the end to get that glaze on them?  Great color.
    Nope, just marinated overnight in teriyaki.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Looks great from here and am loving the skin on the chicken, those thighs looks so succulent
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    That looks delicious!
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would trade you for the measly chicken thighs I had tonight.  Looks good Doc!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Mattman, marinate them in teriyaki for a couple of days, then do them with lots of mesquite at 250 for about 4 hours.  It is to die for, and a standard big cook we do with 40 or 50 thighs then strip for freezer resources.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Are you using a homemade or store bought teriyaki sauce??   I bet I know the answer but I just gotta confirm.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Nice, looks great
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Wozer!  I've been thinking about cooking turkey thigh, but never have.  I'm all in.  Thanks for the thread.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Mattman, marinate them in teriyaki for a couple of days, then do them with lots of mesquite at 250 for about 4 hours.  It is to die for, and a standard big cook we do with 40 or 50 thighs then strip for freezer resources.

I can't tell from the pic if those were raised direct or indirect?

But they sure looked tasty
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Sweet100s
    Options

DocE Do you prefer turkey thighs or chicken thighs done that way?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Are you using a homemade or store bought teriyaki sauce??   I bet I know the answer but I just gotta confirm.  

I make homemade yakatori sauce, but for teriyaki I just use Yoshida.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Zmokin said:

I can't tell from the pic if those were raised direct or indirect?

But they sure looked tasty

Raised and indirect.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Sweet100s said:

Sweet100s said:

We do both, but the turkey is the best.

• chadpsualum
    Options
    Man...does that look good.  My mouth was watering from reading the post title and the pics did nothing to stop that.  Good work!
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • mdpsych2
    mdpsych2 Posts: 9
    Options
    How long did you cook them for and at what temp?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    mdpsych2 said:
    4 hours at 250 until the interior is 180 and juices run clear is low and slow.  this weekday cook was 400 for a hour.

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    mdpsych2 said:
    4 hours at 250 until the interior is 180 and juices run clear is low and slow.  this weekday cook was 400 for a hour.

Wow those look awesome!!  I've never seen turkey thighs anywhere before,I guess I wasn't paying attention 
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Doc E, what is the skin like in the low and slow method?  (4 hours at 250)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    We do not eat the skin, we strip the thighs and use them for future meals.  Here is a pic from a low and slow.

IMG_0518.JPG88.3K · inserted

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Love the turkey legs at "functions"....but chicken thighs are my favorite bird part so I'm sure a turkey thigh would be even better!!!  Those look awesome!  I have never seen turkey thighs around here though?  Where are you getting these Doc?  What part of the country are you in?
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Jai-Bo said:
    Love the turkey legs at "functions"....but chicken thighs are my favorite bird part so I'm sure a turkey thigh would be even better!!!  Those look awesome!  I have never seen turkey thighs around here though?  Where are you getting these Doc?  What part of the country are you in?
    Publix grocery.

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Jai-Bo said:
    Publix grocery.

Good ta know...that's where momma shops all the time!   She doesn't recall seeing them there but will be on the lookout now!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    It comes to them in 8 thigh boxes, when I do a smoke I order 32 thighs.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183691/smoked-teriyaki-turkey-thighs/p1