Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RRP...Red Wings...

Options
Please post your Red Wings Recipe...found a couple, not yours. Thanks. OT? Not sure..?
Pure Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE

Comments

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Thanks! Rock on!
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Those wings are so good.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    Do you ever use a sauce with these?

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Have made an @RRP-inspired recipe. Sour cream makes a nice dip, IMO. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Another take on red wings, RRP’s are good. 
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1147925/cazzys-wings-recipe-updated/p1

The marinade can be boiled down to sterilize and thicken to make a sauce if you want. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    45 minutes in
    Love me some wings. 
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    Did these Georgia Red Wings in 2010 after sampling them @ the 2009 OKC Eggfest
    HTH
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    Thank You!
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    Thank you all these were a hit at out social tonight while watching the Colts. Once I started the egg was at 400 but stayed at 350 the entire they were on a hour at a time RRP these tasted so good love me some Georgia RedWeings
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    Ron, 
    is there a limit on the amount of wings to marinade?
    Is there a maximum time limit for how long to marinade the wings?
    I am asking these questions for i am marinading about 32 wings split. starting tonight on a Monday and not starting to grill them until Sunday. will that be too long in the sauce? 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I just need to make sure the quantity that you mean. The basic recipe calls for 20-40 sets meaning 40 - 80 individual pieces. If so,then you are fine.

Once and only once I went beyond the 50 hours. Beyond that 50 hours the lemon juice begins to "cook" the wings (believe it or not) and the wings become unpleasantly chewy.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    Ok thank you once they reach the 50 hour point. Will they be okay out of the  sauce refrigerated? 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice work.  I did these for the divisional games and am doing some more for the Super Bowl.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    I was thinking of giving these a go this weekend - but @RRP I’m a little confused.  Recipe above says 50 hours minimum in the marinade and later you say you’ve only gone over 50 hours once and they were chewy.

How long are most others marinating them and has anyone air chilled them in the fridge afterwards.  I assume they wouldn’t dry out unless you wiped the marinade off first.
  • RRP
    Options
    Legume said:
    I was thinking of giving these a go this weekend - but @RRP I’m a little confused.  Recipe above says 50 hours minimum in the marinade and later you say you’ve only gone over 50 hours once and they were chewy.

How long are most others marinating them and has anyone air chilled them in the fridge afterwards.  I assume they wouldn’t dry out unless you wiped the marinade off first.
    I should have been more precise. That time I went over 50 hours was 74 hours - with all that time still sealed in a bag with the marinade. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    @RRP I like your above recipe. Seems like one of your earlier versions called for them to be parboiled in a vinegar solution prior to cooking. They were really good but I wasn't crazy about vinegar twang or the par cooking step.
    I could also be confusing this with another recipe. If so I'm sorry.
    Will give this a go very soon.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Did these Georgia Red Wings in 2010 after sampling them @ the 2009 OKC Eggfest
    HTH
    The early OKC Eggfests were a blast...I think I cooked up 20-30 pounds of the wings in 2009 OKC but they did not look anywhere as good as yours did...

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    @RRP I like your above recipe. Seems like one of your earlier versions called for them to be parboiled in a vinegar solution prior to cooking. They were really good but I wasn't crazy about vinegar twang or the par cooking step.
    Darian,
    I've never even heard of parboiling in vinegar, much less doing that - so that sure wasn't from me!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    i believe the vinegar was trex's recipe for wings, the originator of the trex method for steak.  thats along time ago
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    I’ll try them another time.  I was informed we’ll only be having crispy wings.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    i believe the vinegar was trex's recipe for wings, the originator of the trex method for steak.  thats along time ago
    I'm older and have been hanging around for a long time.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    RRP said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Darian,
    I've never even heard of parboiling in vinegar, much less doing that - so that sure wasn't from me!
    Hey Ron,
    Sorry for the confusion. I found the recipe below and it was not even close to yours. See, just old.lol
    I'm sure it will ring a bell to someone and I can attach a name to it. Might be Larry's?

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    might be trex's dads recipe

trex links nolonger work

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    might be trex's dads recipe

trex links nolonger work

I bet you are correct!
    Thanks
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    RRP said:
    5. Remove the wings from the marinade and if you want them hotter sprinkle lightly with Swamp Venom rub.

These are the best wings.  The one step I add is to put them on a rack and let them air dry in the fridge for a few hours before cooking.
    Raleigh, NC
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    has anybody attempted this with bone in thighs? or for that matter any other parts of a chicken? This is so delicious