Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Home Theater Begins!

Options
Well after living in our house now for around 8.5 years I started my home theater build 2 weeks ago.  I have 2 walls up and have moved my 10' sceen to its new resting place.  Will moved the projector lator this week.  The basic room is 21'X26', but it continues into another room in the basement that is 18'X34'.  It's a work in progress, but feel good that some walls are up.  More to come later.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Are you going to build stadium style seating?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You are gonna need a pee jar until you get a bathroom put in. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Awesome.   Please keep posting as you progress. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • eggsurance_agent
    Options
    Love home theaters.  Keep us posted on your progress with pics.  Best of luck to you!
    LBGE
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Tuned in for this one- what equipment are you going with?

Greensboro, NC
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Looking great, nice to see the big screen still part of home theatre.  We have a 106" projected screen, still on 5.1 but it's a great movie experience.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    AWESOME!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    :subscribed:
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Are you going to build stadium style seating?
    Maybe or set up a high top bar With high bar stools.

My 6 year old wants me to finish the bbathroom first which is already stubbed in so I said we could just put a bucket in.  My wife rolled her eyes when I said it.

Wolfpack said:
    Tuned in for this one- what equipment are you going with?

Right now I have an Integra DCH-60.5, which is 7.2 pre-amp, but only running 5.1 right now.  Powering Klipsch KPS-400's, Reference center and surounds with 200 watt Marentz mono blocks.  Running PS3, Marentz 301 DVD player, Laser Disk player and Technecs turntable and Google Fiber for for TV and Internet.

EggNorth said:
    Looking great, nice to see the big screen still part of home theatre.  We have a 106" projected screen, still on 5.1 but it's a great movie experience.
    The screen is a 120" diagonal, I would have gone bigger, but my ceilings are only 9' high and the beam I have to deal with cuts it to 8'.

More to come later.  Thanks for checking it out.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Where's the tiki bar?
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    jabam said:
    Where's the tiki bar?
    Bar will be coming, but not Tiki.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

My 6 year old wants me to finish the bbathroom first which is already stubbed in so I said we could just put a bucket in.  My wife rolled her eyes when I said it.

You really want to wind her up, tell her you are going to install a urinal in the bathroom. I thought mine was gonna kill me.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Your screen is up way too early. Either it will get dirty during the build or you will be too busy watching instead of building. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Looking great so far.. Good luck and enjoy the build.. Looking forward to seeing it completed.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Always a fun project, enjoy the journey....and the good times to come. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good luck with your buildout brother.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • AVEngineer
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Your screen is up way too early. Either it will get dirty during the build or you will be too busy watching instead of building. 
    Maybe it's a ploy to justifying a screen upgrade...
    A home theater us just as bad on the wallet as an egg, which is why I don't have one.  Looks like a fun build, be sure to post pictures.
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I can't wait to see this all come together!! I love designing things like this. It's better than the ownership phase to me!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    I can't wait to see this all come together!! I love designing things like this. It's better than the ownership phase to me!
    Yes, but this may be a lengthy process, doing it on a budget and doing most of the work myself with a lot of help from my farther in law who is great at this.  After I get these two walls sheet rocked the wife wants things done on the main level so I will post progress photos as I go.  Also having some issues with new and some what new Pre Amps.  Hopefully they just need a firmware update or something.  I need to get them hooked up to my internet so I can troubleshoot them.  It does feel good to get it started and it looks like progress.

The next room will be the bathroom nearby.  I am trying to decide on which insulation to go with.  Roxul or the cheaper fiberglass sound barrier stuff.  May just use the Roxul in the ceiling and the other stuff in the walls.  The base is the the hard thing to knock down.  I may have some new photos this weekend.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    What sound setup do you have?
    XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i almost bought those kps-400s!  i went with the klf-30s instead with a 12" sub.  i originally wanted lascalas but no room.  i have a c7 as my center but cant use it with my current setup too big and too much weight  :(

great to see a fellow klipsch fan!
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    Looks like it's going to be a great room when you're done. We're getting Google fiber here soon. I can't wait to throw TWC out!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    AaronH said:

Right now I have an Integra DCH-60.5, which is 7.2 pre-amp, but only running 5.1 right now.  Powering Klipsch KPS-400's, Reference center and surounds with 5-200 watt Marentz mono blocks.  Running PS3, Marentz 301 DVD player, Laser Disk player and Technecs turntable and Google Fiber for for TV and Internet.  I also have a couple Caver 2x100 amps where one will be used for rear surrounds.  For picture a Optima HD26.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    One of the most important piece of equipment we bought for our home theater was a UPS.   Get the best one you can find.  You probably only need about 15 minutes of backup power.

We used to have a Piano Plus projector.  Piano was one of the first to come out with an under 10K projector for home.   Great projector but took about 20 minutes for the bulb to cool.  Didn't have a UPS then, power failed, bulb overheated and had to replace with a $600 bulb.

We have the Optima now which only takes a few minutes to cool.

We also have the Red Cross Blackout Buddy  (Costco has a pack of three) - When that light comes on and stays on, it's time to shut down.  
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • AVEngineer
    Options
    @EggNorth No more bulb problems with one of these: http://www.sony.com/electronics/projector/vpl-gtz1
    Just don't look at the price.  I hear it looks great, and it's available in white.
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    AaronH said:

Right now I have an Integra DCH-60.5, which is 7.2 pre-amp, but only running 5.1 right now.  Powering Klipsch KPS-400's, Reference center and surounds with 5-200 watt Marentz mono blocks.  Running PS3, Marentz 301 DVD player, Laser Disk player and Technecs turntable and Google Fiber for for TV and Internet.  I also have a couple Caver 2x100 amps where one will be used for rear surrounds.  For picture a Optima HD26.
    Are you on Klipsch community? I am . I am running RF7II's, RC64II, RF82's. Powered by and Outlaw 7500 amp and a Yamaha 1030 as the pre-amp. Oppo 103 Blu ray, and an SVS PC13Ultra
    XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @Ladeback69   Very cool! Enjoy the heck out of your project.
    Phoenix 
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    AaronH said:
    AaronH said:

Are you on Klipsch community? I am . I am running RF7II's, RC64II, RF82's. Powered by and Outlaw 7500 amp and a Yamaha 1030 as the pre-amp. Oppo 103 Blu ray, and an SVS PC13Ultra
    No I am not , but will check it out thanks.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Last weekend my father n law put up some sheetrock on of the walls we have built and I moved the movie projector.  We had a little Super Bowl Party and I like where the screen is now.  I think my wife and I will watch a movie on it tonight if I can get the Klipsch speakers set up tonight.  It is a work in progress and she wants soundproofing insulation in the joist under our bedroom next to help deaden some of the sound when the kids are playing below it where we have a dog ramp and play area for our son.  The HT is on hold for a little while we gather some more funds.  Here a few photos of current progress.  
    Here are some photos of the party.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Ok, I want your opinion.  I now have a design for my actual home theater.  Should put the door at the back of the room or on the back left side?  If at the back I could have the doors open when I have people in the game room/man cave, but it might sound better with door on the side.  You thoughts?

Kansas City, Mo.