Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I bought the wife her own Egg...

Options
SMITTYtheSMOKER
SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
So the wife has taken on the responsibility of caregiver for her elderly parents for the last several month and it spending half the week over at their residence...so she tells me she is missing her "Egged" food (more then me and the Dog- LOL).

So we got her a cute little Medium Egg so she can get her fix during the week.  She has been doing a great job of helping with classes here at the shop recently by perfecting a few different pastry dishes on the Egg.  Here are a few of her recent cook...I am proud of her.

Here is eggplant and mushrooms.

Apple pastry roses.

Godiva Chocolate Caramel pastry.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    You my friend, have unleashed a Rock Star. I hope things will get better for her and her parents. You are a good man to give her something, that I am sure, helps her cope in so any ways.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Very cool!  She's already made some sweet dishes (no pun) :plus_one: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited January 2016
    Options

Bravo.  That's exactly the type of present that a caregiver needs.  

I was primary caregiver for my Dad for a long time (8 years).  Towards the end I was afraid to leave the house -  I didn't want to chance him passing and my not being with him at that moment.  I just gunned the car to the grocery store and returned home.

Extended family would ask what they could do for Dad.  I finally realized (and told them) that what Dad needed most was someone "doing for me".    Everything gets amplified and more stressful as decline occurs.   But it really makes a difference in quality of health care provided when there's a family advocate always nearby. 

The best quality of care my Dad received was when he was in hospice care.  He actually "graduated" from hospice 3 times.   After I saw how good his care was while in hospice  vs  a regular care center, I became very educated on what qualifies someone for hospice care. (heart functioning below a certain level, etc...) 

Also, be aware that if they might qualify for Medicaid at any point in the future, you should talk with a private Medicaid counselor now.  An attorney who creates wills could refer you.  Look for someone who has practiced in your state for a long time (Rules vary by state)

Ex:  My Medicaid counselor suggested I create a Services / Care provider agreement with my dad that put a value on my care giving.  
    I thought that was a crazy idea.  I had no intention of "charging" my dad for caring for him,  nor could he pay even if I did.   However, having a documented debt for non-payment of services can help in other ways.

Wish dad were still here.  Can't believe I'm never going to talk with him again.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Very nice. Thanks for posting. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Congrats on multiple fronts. When I try to get mine involved she rolls her eyes. No complaints on the food mind ha. What beautiful food she has turned out. You should be very proud.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Options
    Great job both of you!
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Sweet100s said:

Bravo.  That's exactly the type of present that a caregiver needs.  

I was primary caregiver for my Dad for a long time (8 years).  Towards the end I was afraid to leave the house -  I didn't want to chance him passing and my not being with him at that moment.  I just gunned the car to the grocery store and returned home.

Extended family would ask what they could do for Dad.  I finally realized (and told them) that what Dad needed most was someone "doing for me".    Everything gets amplified and more stressful as decline occurs.   But it really makes a difference in quality of health care provided when there's a family advocate always nearby. 

The best quality of care my Dad received was when he was in hospice care.  He actually "graduated" from hospice 3 times.   After I saw how good his care was while in hospice  vs  a regular care center, I became very educated on what qualifies someone for hospice care. (heart functioning below a certain level, etc...) 

Also, be aware that if they might qualify for Medicaid at any point in the future, you should talk with a private Medicaid counselor now.  An attorney who creates wills could refer you.  Look for someone who has practiced in your state for a long time (Rules vary by state)

Ex:  My Medicaid counselor suggested I create a Services / Care provider agreement with my dad that put a value on my care giving.  
    I thought that was a crazy idea.  I had no intention of "charging" my dad for caring for him,  nor could he pay even if I did.   However, having a documented debt for non-payment of services can help in other ways.

Wish dad were still here.  Can't believe I'm never going to talk with him again.

What a great thing you did for your Dad. I did not have a very good relationship with either of my parents, but when Mom got sick it feel to myself and my sister. We did the best we could and I agree-Hospice is the best! You sir are a lucky man for that great relationship with your Dad, and that you could be with him on that time, though I know from experience how hard that is.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • cmac610
    cmac610 Posts: 154
    Options
    Awesome!
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    #BGETeamGreen #TeamArteflame #TeamBarrelProof
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Great!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Good on you. Looks like she's rocking it just fine with the Stella too. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.