Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse-seared picanha cuts, sliced into steaks

Options
TheToast
TheToast Posts: 376
I reverse-seared a picanha cut and sliced into steaks a couple of weeks ago but this time I decided to do it for friends. It's Burns Night on Monday so it's an early celebration - not something non-Scots generally celebrate but if it's an excuse to eat Aberdeen Angus beef and drink scotch, why not?

I followed the method on the BGE UK website. It is a GREAT method. http://www.biggreenegg.co.uk/tips/reverse-sear-picanha-steak

But I didn't bother with the rub - I stuck to olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Good quality beef doesn't need much else. 

Two 1.5kg hunks of beef. Seven people in total. Some swore it was the best steak they'd ever had. So damn tender. I can't imagine shelling out top dollar at a steak restaurant now. 

Took about 100mins to get to 52c at a grill temp of 110c, then seared, rested for 20mins and it had climbed up to a perfect (and flukey) 56c for medium rare. 

Question because I'm new to BGE life: when I cook with direct heat (which I've only done 3 times) at 250-300c, by the time I've opened the lid and put the food on the grill (about 20secs), the flames have been shooting high out of the open egg. It goes out when I close the lid, but for those moments when I'm putting food on the grill, it feels like I'm quickly feeding a wild beast. Is this normal, or is there a technique to lessen the flames? I know it's the sudden, increased oxygen intake that causes it but this doesn't seem to happen on tutorial videos I've seen. Thanks 

Comments