Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck question…

Options
Hi all - Looking for some opinions as to how to address a cook I recently did.  I was roasting whole duck and while it tasted great, didn't have great texture.  I cooked it pretty low at first (in an attempt to render the fat).  It was around 250-275 for over an hour.  Then, increased the temperature to 450 or so to crisp up the skin - this probably lasted 15 min.

The meat was absolutely delicious, but it was a bit rubbery.  The skin was really tough and the fat wasn't well rendered.  Should I do it in reverse next time to render more fat?  I'm a duck amateur, so could have made many errors along the way…

Thanks!

Upstate NY - XLBGE Since December 2014

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited January 2016
    Options
    no need to raise temps to get crisp skin.

prick the thing all over, and go low and slow until done. you improve chances if you dry the skin a day or two uncovered in the fridge.  peking duck is dried this way

if i didn't plan ahead, and have un-dried duck, i have also quartered it, pricked the skin, and given it a fifteen minute steam in a collander inside a covered pot (with a half inch of water under it).  then remove from the stemaer and cook as you want.

the fat in the pot can be saved and used for potatoes and other cooking

you can  brick it too, on some cast iron

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• WineAndSwine
    Options
    Thank you!  I may try several iterations.  I'll try quartering for my next version.  Looks beautiful!    
    Upstate NY - XLBGE Since December 2014
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Also, what type of duck was it? Mallard? Teal? Ring neck? Some are more tender than others
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Agree with chubbs. Was it a wild duck or farm?  Most wild wont have the same fat content like farm. I usually score the skin to help render the fat and crisp up the skin. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Above Darby mentioned steaming. I have never tried steaming, but I have blanched them. I'm sure the results are similar. Just a different means to reach the same end. I'm going to share two other methods that work very well in helping to produce extra crispy skin. Chances are, most folks reading this has probably never heard of them. Also most probably do not have the means of doing it. Nonetheless I will share them for the few that do. First is to freeze them to at least -25 below zero. -40 if you have the horsepower. Sadly, most non commercial home units will not get down (and maintain) these subzero temps. Thus you will need access to a commercial or improvised freezer running off of anhydrous ammonia. Or access to liquid nitrogen. Due to the extreme hazards of messing with liquid nitrogen, I will elaborate no farther on the subject. Just wanted to mention it for the sake of clarity and thoroughness. One other trick is to use compressed air to seperate the skin from the underlying fat layer. In a nutshell, blow it up like a ballon in essence seperating the skin from the fat layer. We use the compressed air trick when cleaning gophers and turtles. Not to get crispy skin, but to make cleaning them a breeze. Not a world changer, but two unique methods that I thought I would share if for nothing else, entertainment value. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    @SGH need a separate post re turtles and gophers please.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    In the spring, I will gladly post how to clean turtles using compressed air my friend. It's quite easy actually and takes a lot of the work out of it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    SGH said:
    In the spring, I will gladly post how to clean turtles using compressed air my friend. It's quite easy actually and takes a lot of the work out of it. 
    Now that's a YouTube I want to watch...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    225 for 5 hours plus minus gets great crispy skin and you want to cook it raised direct. dont worry about all the fat and the smoke, at those temps it doesnt seem to stick to the birds. i like duck cooked this way with a strong berry sauce/relish
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it