Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corian Top on table??

Options
Having a table made and the idea came up to have the top made out of Corian. Sounds like a viable option, wondering if any of you have had experience with that?

Comments

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    We had Corian in our last house in the bathrooms. Very nice counters but not heat resistant if that's a concern.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Egg Table?

Personally, I would not use Corian.  I had it two houses ago and I was not impressed with its durability.  It looks great and you can sand it to clean it up, but not heat resistant, prone to stains and discoloring, especially if exposed to the elements.

You will want to put hot things on it, toss pots, pans, tongs, etc on it.  Corian just isn't made for that kind of abuse (in my experience, maybe they have improved it in the last 10 years)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Granite.. It's a natural stone. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Corian is not good for heat resistance,scratching or fading really fast if exposed to direct sunlight.  Other than that it's a great product.  

Use a natural stone or stainless steel if you are looking for longevity.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

Just not durable enough for my needs. I have a way with unintentionally destroying things, and my experience with Corian has not been great. Scratches easy, gouges effortlessly, and heat is a mortal enemy. It will look good initially, but long term, If I had it while egging, it would be so ugly, it would make a freight train take a dirt road to avoid looking at it.

We have Corian now, and it is the leading cause of My Beautiful Wife's desire to have me remodel the entire house.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Just do concrete. Use zcounterform. Doing my kitchen right now and will use leftover forms for egg table 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Just do concrete. Use zcounterform. Doing my kitchen right now and will use leftover forms for egg table 
    Of and a heck if a lot cheaper and can look like granite or corian if done properly 
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    A friend of my wife's has it in their kitchen, we have it in our bathroom.  My wife's friend hates it and it show all kinds of marks etc in our bathroom.  I would opt for ceramic tile over durarock.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Chubbs said:
    Of and a heck if a lot cheaper and can look like granite or corian if done properly 
    How do you get a smooth top finish on the concrete, use some sort plastic under it's when poured? Is stain put in to the concrete when mixed or added after it sets up?
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Chubbs said:
    Chubbs said:
    How do you get a smooth top finish on the concrete, use some sort plastic under it's when poured? Is stain put in to the concrete when mixed or added after it sets up?
    Go to the site. It is cast in place and trowel as smooth as you want. Several edge profiles to pick from. Stain, seal, and polish when done. Granite for my kitchen was $3200. I will have done with concrete myself for $725 and it will be as glossy as granite. 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Chubbs said:
    Chubbs said:
    Go to the site. It is cast in place and trowel as smooth as you want. Several edge profiles to pick from. Stain, seal, and polish when done. Granite for my kitchen was $3200. I will have done with concrete myself for $725 and it will be as glossy as granite. 
    You say "the site" What site would that be? Thanks for your help. My friends didn't pour theirs in place and put a piece of plexiglass down and poured on that. It didn't turn out a smooth as they wanted. Might have made mix too thick or not gotten air bubbles out.
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    Thanks @Chubbs for the heads up on the concrete. 

As to the OP's question, I'm with the concensus to not use Corian. Not heat resistant and when I had my house built granite was the same price as Corian. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas