Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked base

Options
Was cleaning out the Egg to cook a tri-tip on Friday and noticed I've got a cracked base. Goes all the way through. Guess I need to call them up and figure out how good their customer service is. I'm worried because I got it from a store down in the Valley and now I'm up in Dallas. Over 10.5 hours away. I don't know how they deal with warranties in situations like that. Do they just send it to a store near you? Anybody have any kind of experience like this? I sure as hell don't want to drive clear across Texas to get a new one. Kinda bummed, but it is over five years old.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    You should be able to get it from any local dealer near you.  Not just the one you bought it from.  
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Just take a pic and send it to both BGE and your nearest dealer.  The dealer will be able to have it delivered with their next shipment.  
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Sorry about the base @Griffin. I have a crack in mine too. I bought mine from a dealer in Roswell, GA years ago whom is no longer is business and I don't have my original receipt. Not are what I am going to be able to do. Guess I will ask my new dealer. What you think @Dyal_SC
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    I've had to replace my firebox a couple of times @Chubbs.  Just email Jack Oliver's.  They'll getcha hooked up.  
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Damn, I forgot to look for my receipt last night. I hope I still have it. I've moved three times since I got the Egg.

Rowlett, Texas

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Damn, I forgot to look for my receipt last night. I hope I still have it. I've moved three times since I got the Egg.
    If it's registered you are prolly ok.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I thought the reason for registering the warranty in your name is to help alleviate the problems with the store you bought it from being closed, lost receipt, etc.
    As long as BGE headquarters has you registered as the warranty owner, I would imagine no problems should arise. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I thought the reason for registering the warranty in your name is to help alleviate the problems with the store you bought it from being closed, lost receipt, etc.
    As long as BGE headquarters has you registered as the warranty owner, I would imagine no problems should arise. 
    I Guess I am concerned that the dealer actually did it. For my large And my mini the dealer registered it for me. First time I didn't know any better. Second time, I watched the dealer fill out the form. We shall see. The first is the one who I out of business
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    YEMTrey said:
    I Guess I am concerned that the dealer actually did it. For my large And my mini the dealer registered it for me. First time I didn't know any better. Second time, I watched the dealer fill out the form. We shall see. The first is the one who I out of business
    Gotcha.  My comment was more of a question.  I've not had a warranty claim, and I'm not sure where the receipt would be for my XL.  Was hoping it would work like that.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    So does anybody have the number for warranty? Didn't find it on their site, just an e-mail address.

Rowlett, Texas

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Griffin said:
    So does anybody have the number for warranty? Didn't find it on their site, just an e-mail address.
    Bruce Bohannon
    tel:800.793.2292
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,764
    Options
    if you have problems, call bruce, he is the guy that makes things happen. but you should call the nearest dealer first, some want the cracked part, some just a pic. two large bases and a small base here so far. my first base i needed bruce involved, second time i tracked down the distributor and found who was getting the next shipment and had it sent there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don't think you'll have a problem getting a new base form your closest dealer. May have a bit of a sticking point re: the receipt, but I imagine that shouldn't be that big a deal. Can you find the credit card/bank statement which shows the purchase (assuming you used a credit card or check)?

I scanned the receipts for my 3 eggs, to make them easy to find and email when needed. Came in handy when i made a similar warranty claim last year. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    If you call your local dealer, you should be all set.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Ive had excellent warranty coverage service.  But they always shipped to the dealer i bought from originally.   
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options
    Griffin, I've had two warrantee claims in my egg bought @ BBQ Galore Park/Preston. That location is no longer there. BBQ Galore on Lovers handled my claim with just a picture. Next time, the newbie there told me to handle through the BGE HQ, but I went to Ellots, and Alan handled it no problem. No receipt, had not registered it. YMMV. 
    Good luck!
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    Just call Bruce B. at Green Egg HQ (Contact info above). He's super nice and easy to work with. He'll get you taken care of. 
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    I'd call one of the Elliot's.  I live by the one in Plano so that's who I'd call but if the one in Dallas is closer then call them.

You can call Bruce @ BGE directly but I like to call only after giving the dealer a chance.  Besides if you're new to Dallas you need to find a dealer you like so you have someone to go to in the future.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I cleaned my xl out New Year's Eve and found a crack in my base. Already called the dealer and sent him pics. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I bought my first one in Wisconsin and warrantied a cracked base at BBQ Outiftters in Austin. Went through without a hitch. Just had to send pics and they had me a new base in couple of days.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Just remember them cracked bases can serve as cool flower pots!!!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Just wish BGE would give you a heads up and confirm your registration . Never heard back on any of the 3..... It's not hard.
    Seattle, WA
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    BGE receipt stays in the gun safe with passports, important documents, expensive jewelry, external hard drive etc.
    Oh, and guns.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ