Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our Southern/Northern (Ohio) New Years Dinner & PSA for Blackstoners

Been cooking for most of the day for my family.  Really missing my Mom a lot on these days.  Even though I took over most of the cooking for these functions, she still contributed something.  For New Years, she would fix the cornbread and the collards.  They were good, but not like hers.  

Made the following: 

• Pork roast and sauerkraut (fresh)
  • Mashed potatoes w/gravy (made from the pork drippings)
  • Blackeyed peas w/leftover picnic I smoked (always save your bones guys)
  • Collard greens w/leftover picnic bone I smoked and some country ham
  • Fresh corn
  • Cornbread (w/Kerrygold :) )
  • Hog jowl 

1 - Mashed Potatoes

2 - Corn

3 - Pork and kraut

4 - Blackeyed peas

5 - Collards (note they were only placed in the crockpot for holding (I needed more big pots).  

6 - And my plate (eyes were bigger than appetite).  Wow, that was a lot of food!  

7 - My loves helping out in the kitchen!  

Thanks for taking a look!  

Oh!  PSA!  

Blackstone users.  Was going to cook the hog jowl and the grilled chicken (not pictured (it was for the ones that don't like pork and kraut)) on the Blackstone.  Went to light it and the flames were hardly burning.  I hit the regulator, checked the tank, unhooked it, hooked a fresh tank, nothing.  Text Cazzy and sure enough it was the same issue he had.  Regulator appears to be jacked up.  

Okay, great. Plan B now!  Record time firing an Egg up.  I threw the Weedtorch to it like the Egg owed it money!  Up to temp in no time!  Got chicken on it and fried the hog jowl in the kitchen in a CI pan.  

------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Dang. Nice job!!! 

Makes my ham and beans look like dog chow!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Wow,  that is a "mike drop" meal.  Very impressive spread.

Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Looks like a wonderful meal and a wonderful day. Kudos. Is that a plate of food or a platter of food? Good gracious! Nice!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I remember the days of dragging a chair to the counter for the helper.  Great meal, great family!

so far, so good on my regulator. Guess it could happen any day. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Matt, my Mom is gone and I miss her daily.  The way you honor yours through your cooking gives me solice brother.  Thanks for that brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Dang. Nice job!!! 

Makes my ham and beans look like dog chow!
    Thanks brother!  I'm sure your ham and beans were awesome! 

blasting said:

Wow,  that is a "mike drop" meal.  Very impressive spread.

Thanks man!  It was good.  Not pictured was my wife's apple shortbread with vanilla ice cream for dessert.  I didn't have any of that though.  

Looks like a wonderful meal and a wonderful day. Kudos. Is that a plate of food or a platter of food? Good gracious! Nice!
    Man, I feel like a tick on a hound dogs tail right now!  It was a platter for sure!  Thanks for taking a look.  

I remember the days of dragging a chair to the counter for the helper.  Great meal, great family!

so far, so good on my regulator. Guess it could happen any day. 
    Man, she digs helping us.  I try to let her help me with about everything.  I sure do love it too.

I used the BS on Christmas.  Left for Ohio, came back and hadn't used it till now.  DOA pretty much.  

bgebrent said:
    Matt, my Mom is gone and I miss her daily.  The way you honor yours through your cooking gives me solice brother.  Thanks for that brother.

Brent, that is one thing that kept us close, food!  I helped Mom in the kitchen all the time growing up and pretty much had to do the cooking at one time due to a surgery she had done.  Cooking is probably the one way I express my love.  She taught me a lot about cooking.  She sure did fill my mind with many great memories and thoughts.  Many memories that we had sitting around the dinner table, laughing and cutting up.  I know for a fact you have to miss your mother, Brent and I'm sorry for your loss.  This is the kind of hurt that's hard to swallow for sure.  It's something you just cannot deny.  She was our first love and who welcomed us to the world.  I give anything to have her collards and cornbread tonight.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    Matt, thank you for those reminiscences and memories of your Mom.  Left me tearful remembering mine.  Sweet memories now brother.  Sweet memories.
  • Turn your bottle off the griddle. Turn on the knob to empty the gas out of the lines. It should light back up with no problem. This happened on my camp chef stove a few years ago. There is a pressure safety valve in the regulator that hangs up if air gets in the lines.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • tarheelmatt
    Turn your bottle off the griddle. Turn on the knob to empty the gas out of the lines. It should light back up with no problem. This happened on my camp chef stove a few years ago. There is a pressure safety valve in the regulator that hangs up if air gets in the lines.
    Not sure I tried that combo,  but will tomorrow for sure. Thanks for the tip!
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    ^^^What he said.  Great clue @cortguitarman,  thanks,
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Matt......you were quite the busy one. Your mom taught you well and would be most proud.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Matt that's a load of good luck you dished up.. Everything looks awesome. We have been in the country for 15 years and have been doing this as well every New Years day.. Enjoy the rest of your weekend..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    That is a serious New Year's spread. Looks awesome. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tarheelmatt
    Matt......you were quite the busy one. Your mom taught you well and would be most proud.
    Thank you Robin! 

Matt that's a load of good luck you dished up.. Everything looks awesome. We have been in the country for 15 years and have been doing this as well every New Years day.. Enjoy the rest of your weekend..
    I hope it was and will, John. Happy New Years to you and yours buddy!

Hi54putty said:
    That is a serious New Year's spread. Looks awesome. 
    Thanks man! Leftovers were equally as good if not better!
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Great looking meal Matt!  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • tarheelmatt
    Great looking meal Matt!  
    Thanks brother!  Hope you have a great New Year! 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    "Finally a tread I can get down with........"
    -Snoop Dogg (the original Blackstoner) 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Brother, now that is cooking a fine meal by anybody's standards. For me, total comfort food. Great meal.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Now that is a plate if food. I bet you slept well that night.
  • tarheelmatt
    "Finally a tread I can get down with........"
    -Snoop Dogg (the original Blackstoner) 

I was wondering if anyone picked up on that.  I thought that was a nice name for the BS guys!  lol

YukonRon said:
    Brother, now that is cooking a fine meal by anybody's standards. For me, total comfort food. Great meal.
    Thanks Ron!  Appreciate it!  

Tinyfish said:
    Now that is a plate if food. I bet you slept well that night.
    I slept wonderfully!  Thanks for looking!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Did you get your griddle working again?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • tarheelmatt
    Did you get your griddle working again?
    Meant to comment about that but forgot.  Went out last night and fumbled with it again.  No luck!  Darn it!  Calling Blackstone tomorrow about it.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site