Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electric pressure cooker

Options
I am looking to buy a pressure cooker and about pulled the trigger on an insta pot. The 7 in 1 on Amazon. Couple of the reviews has me wondering now. Does anyone have one of these or another model that they like? 

Thanks

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I just got one as a gift from my grandmother who got it from the shopping network... I thought it would be a disaster...

but it it's AWESOME! So far I've made rice (8minutes) steamed vegetables (5minutes) a pot roast (25 minutes)

its crwzy fast, and the results are great 

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    I have the Instant Pot and it rocks!!  Just do it and you won't regret it. The Instant pot lives on my counter and sees a lot of use

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    edited December 2015
    Options
    BigWader said:
    I have the Instant Pot and it rocks!!  Just do it and you won't regret it. The Instant pot lives on my counter and sees a lot of use

+1....  I have had mine for about a year now and it's great. Just do it!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. It's on the way. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Furall
    Brother, when I first saw the electric pressure cookers, I thought what a joke. But man was I wrong. While they are not ideal for canning large amounts, they cook and perform like a dream. They are much more convenient for cooking everyday meals than the massive pressure canners. Now that I have used one, I will never be without one. It turns rabbit and roux into liquid gold. I have the 10 quart version. It's the best 99 bucks that I have ever spent. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited December 2015
    Options
    RAC said:
    BigWader said:

+1....  I have had mine for about a year now and it's great. Just do it!
    +2
    I think @Chef Charles is a forum pioneer with Instant Pot, @Little Steven 
    may have one too!

Like I told @SGH earlier, this forum is a bottomle$$ pit 
    ;) 
    canuckland
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Has ANYONE tried steaming Tamales in one of these cookers?   My wife and her sisters make UP TO 8 dozen per Christmas and the steaming batch is the longest single process.   
  • SGH
    Options
    Begger said:
    Has ANYONE tried steaming Tamales in one of these cookers?   
    Never tried tamales. However it works like a charm for steaming crab legs. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    They're supposed to be really good at making fast easy risottos but I've yet to do that. If you want to talk to yourself into getting one just go look on youtube tons of stuff on there. I've had mine for almost 5 years now.  We've more than got our money's worth out of it. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    I have the 10 quart version. 
    Correction, I misspoke above (not intentionally). Upon farther inspection, mine is a 8 quart, not a 10 quart.  

Status- Standing by.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Damn, @SGH , you owe me $30.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I just picked up a 30 quart tamale steamer from HEB in SA this past weekend.  $14.99. 
    Options
    We have a 6 quart and an 8 quart that we use a lot. Great for cooking dried beans. You don't have to pre-soak them like you would for a stove top pressure cooker. Really tenderizes meats quickly that you would normally have to braise for a few hours. Not sure how this would work for tamales, but we have a rapid steamer that we love. Watch the demo video and see if it would work for you. http://www.hsn.com/products/wolfgang-puck-1400-watt-3-tier-rapid-food-steamer/6677032 You can usually find it on sale at a lower price. It's a very versatile appliance.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    SGH said:
    Begger said:
    Has ANYONE tried steaming Tamales in one of these cookers?   
    Never tried tamales. However it works like a charm for steaming crab legs. 
    @SGH how long do you steam them?
  • SGH
    Options
    slovelad said:
    @SGH how long do you steam them?
    At 15 psi, 90-120 seconds. If they are normal size, then 90 seconds. If they are real large, 120 seconds. Please remember that this is under 15 psi pressure in a pressure cooker. Not in a traditional steamer. 

Status- Standing by.

• Backyard Mike
    Options
    I have an Instant Pot. The pressure cooker is great (it operates at 11.6 psi so takes a little longer than a 15 psi stove top pc).  It's also a slow cooker, which is how I do beans. It has a sauté function so you can brown meat, cook onions, etc right in the pot the add liquid and pressure cook. Use mine a lot and never had a problem. 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Has anyone tried a Travis style brisket in one..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SGH
    Options
    Has anyone tried a Travis style brisket in one..
    No sir, I haven't. But it will turn out a killer roast. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Furall said:
     Does anyone have one of these or another model that they like? 

I have the one in the pic below. And as you can see, I like it so much that I just ordered another one. Once you get one, you will wish that you had gotten one years ago. For many things (not all things) they blow a crockpot (slow cooker) out of the water.

Status- Standing by.

• Smoker317
    Options
    Looks like we may have the same model or similar, yours I bet is the updated model as ours is almost three years old.  We are pleased with the results on most everything, especially rice, beans, etc. 
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • SGH
    Options
    Smoker317 said:
    Looks like we may have the same model or similar, yours I bet is the updated model as ours is almost three years old.  
    I bought the first electric one about 6 months ago so it probably is a newer model. Just ordered another one to have standing by. This time of the year when it rains just about everyday, the EPC can be a real life saver for sure. I'm a huge fan of rabbit and squirrel, the PC will make these as tender as it gets. 

Status- Standing by.

• Little Steven
    Options
    The insta-pot is great but the capacity isn't what I would have liked. I make stocks out of everything and they are brilliant because you don't lose the flavour to steam but I would like to get a bigger unit.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    Options
    @Little Steven 
    These can be purchased in 10 quart. 

Status- Standing by.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Thanks Man! Gary (Canugghead) was onto a good one. Wife ended up buying the Insta-pot and she loves it too (the less mess and counter space bit). I have a 20 quart Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker but it's a pain to clean and store. Daughter goes to school in the fall and I think she will be happy with the Insta-pot.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    The insta-pot is great but the capacity isn't what I would have liked. I make stocks out of everything and they are brilliant because you don't lose the flavour to steam but I would like to get a bigger unit.
    Story of my life. 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Hehehe! Wish it were that simple

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    Options
    but I would like to get a bigger unit.
    I have a really big unit, almost to big at times =)

Status- Standing by.

• annjamaican
    Options
    I got the Instant Pot from Amazon during their Black Friday sale. I've used it at least twice a week since, making oxtails, pork and beans, rice and beans, stroganoff, plain white rice and much more. It's good for preparing an excellent dinner quickly, you can even cook small pieces of meat from frozen. 
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • SGH
    Options
    @Furall - My backup 8 quart is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Smoker317 said:
    We are pleased with the results on most everything, especially rice, beans, etc. 
    As am I. I absolutely love mine my friend. 

Status- Standing by.